Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Broken Codex + Broken Achievements = Broken Lore and Broken Gameplay

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Broken Codex + Broken Achievements = Broken Lore and Broken Gameplay

freek_ish's Avatar


freek_ish
11.13.2013 , 03:15 PM | #1
Bioware,

Firstly, and most importantly, we are your subscribers and cartel pack buyers.

Story and Lore are the best aspects of SWTOR. This is universally agreed upon by your fan base, your developer peers, and players around the world. Why, then, would you not put a MUCH greater effort into fixing the player experience of story and lore via the codex? When we play the game and reach goals, we want to see that codex tick off. We want to see the achievement granted. We want to read the new lore entry in the codex - IN THE GAME. Not on Wikipedia! Incredibly, we have PAID to be able to read that codex entry in the game. To actually EARN it. We have paid for it, and you have not delivered it.

We appreciate that you have seem to have begun an effort to fix the codex -

But:

Codex *and* Achievements must be addressed, or you should remove the codex if it's un-fixable and focus on the legacy Achievements system instead.

As it stands currently, you have created a legacy system with achievements that cannot be obtained, because many of them seem to rely on codex entries.

THIS AFFECTS GAMEPLAY and enjoyment of the game, and we still resent previous comments and ticket responses from Bioware indicating that it doesn't.

If it's un-fixable, please start over from scratch, or focus on achievements instead.

AlexDougherty's Avatar


AlexDougherty
11.13.2013 , 03:55 PM | #2
It doesn't affect gameplay, but it might affect immersion and roleplay, but since achievements and codex are superficial aspects it can not be said to break gameplay.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

freek_ish's Avatar


freek_ish
11.13.2013 , 04:16 PM | #3
I'm not using the technical definition for gameplay. I'm saying the lore aspect of the game is broken, and therefore the game is broken. Star Wars lore, achievements, and completion are the reasons many play this game.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
11.14.2013 , 08:29 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by freek_ish View Post
I'm not using the technical definition for gameplay. I'm saying the lore aspect of the game is broken, and therefore the game is broken. Star Wars lore, achievements, and completion are the reasons many play this game.
But is not the only reason and I disagree with your contention that just because some elements of immersion is broken it means the game is broken. Sorry, to me the game is about stories endgame and PvP. Immersion is really minor to me.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

freek_ish's Avatar


freek_ish
11.14.2013 , 02:41 PM | #5
Of course I can respect both of your views. Keep in mind though that SWTOR was always promoted and sold as an immersive Star Wars experience.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
11.14.2013 , 03:18 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by freek_ish View Post
Of course I can respect both of your views. Keep in mind though that SWTOR was always promoted and sold as an immersive Star Wars experience.
No it has been sold as story driven mmo. Immersion is a result of how each player feels and is subjective.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

freek_ish's Avatar


freek_ish
11.15.2013 , 02:32 PM | #7
Actually - no. You know what? This is about COMPLETION.

That basically trumps everything you guys are saying.

Bioware has given us a game with goals and achievements that CAN'T BE REACHED.

How is this OK with everyone???

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
11.15.2013 , 05:31 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by freek_ish View Post
Actually - no. You know what? This is about COMPLETION.

That basically trumps everything you guys are saying.

Bioware has given us a game with goals and achievements that CAN'T BE REACHED.

How is this OK with everyone???
No it really isn't. Not everyone is an OCD completionist. Therefore, most people don't care about achievements.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

JattaGin's Avatar


JattaGin
11.15.2013 , 05:45 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by freek_ish View Post
Story and Lore are the best aspects of SWTOR. This is universally agreed upon by your fan base, your developer peers, and players around the world.
While I'm not sure whether most players really will agree on that...

Quote: Originally Posted by freek_ish View Post
Why, then, would you not put a MUCH greater effort into fixing the player experience of story and lore via the codex?
...I definitely second this question.

Fix the codex and achievements 100%, BW. Thank you.

freek_ish's Avatar


freek_ish
11.18.2013 , 05:04 AM | #10
"...I definitely second this question.
Fix the codex and achievements 100%, BW. Thank you."

Here here, Jatta !!

BW what is the latest please? Please chime in here?