Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

"stealing" objectives from oppositet faction on a PvE server

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
"stealing" objectives from oppositet faction on a PvE server

Creslan
11.14.2013 , 01:40 PM | #41
PVE server: Same faction, leave em be, help them if needed.
Opposite faction, take anything and everything around em, as far as I am concerned they are the enemy, pvp/pve be damned. They are just smart AI that needs to be beat.

Subach
11.20.2013 , 11:12 AM | #42
There is no official stance on what exactly "stealing" objectives constitutes in terms of disciplinary action by the devs.

Therefore, I cannot get banned for it.

Therefore, I will do it.

StarMagus
11.21.2013 , 08:21 AM | #43
To be fair the game already has a claim method, and that's first to click. Just because somebody stands in an area doesn't mean they magically get to claim everything of possible value around them like some explorer planting a flag. "All of this is MINE!"

Raina_Que
11.22.2013 , 03:07 PM | #44
It is just rude. The only people who defend it are those who do it.

I will admit to accidental Ninjaing before because I did not see the person. When they called me out I helped them with there next couple objectives and apologized for it.

slafko
11.25.2013 , 02:48 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Raina_Que View Post
It is just rude. The only people who defend it are those who do it.

I will admit to accidental Ninjaing before because I did not see the person. When they called me out I helped them with there next couple objectives and apologized for it.
QFT

Has anyone else seen people steal mobs from them? I've been noticing this recently and mostly in CZ-198 and Section X. People will not only ninja your objective, they will ninja your mobs too. Had this happen several times already. Each time when I was on my sentinel. Since they're more single target focused, several mobs in the group will remain undamaged. That's what ninjas exploit and steal those mobs by attacking them. Even though you've engaged the group first, the kills go to the player who actually drew first blood on a mob. So, if my meager aoe attacks are on cooldown or there are ranged dps in the group that I can't reach until I've dealt with mdps - chances are some ninja will engage the mobs and claim kills thus crippling my "kill x mobs" mission progress.

It's fun when I run into such ninjas with my shadow; they just help me kill things faster. But sentinel is another story. Those foew aoe attacks mean I have to run around switching and hitting targets to make sure I have flagged each one individually before I can proceed to unleash dps on a single target.

Ninjas be annoying.

sinnaman
11.25.2013 , 08:30 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Dreselus View Post
step 1: get the objective
step 2: kill the mobs

Problem solved forever.
This discussion looks remarkably similar to the one about Martinique Desler. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=693065

So, is there really a moral obligation to let someone attacking the mobs around an objective let them have it? I sincerely used to think so. I loathed people who ran up on me and stole the objective right from under me. How dare they do that! Can't they see I am trying to get to that? Why are they such an (insert random insult here)!

But the thread about Martinique Desler has made me reconsider that standpoint. The game has been created in such a way that anyone can click an objective at anytime.... by DESIGN. If the game is designed this way, then is it wrong to play it by the "first man to click wins" philosophy?

Someone in the other thread corrected me by stating that "there is no such thing as kill stealing" in this game. I would now have to agree to that. The only way to ensure that you get the objective that you are after is to do as Dreselus stated. And if you keep getting interrupted and cannot obtain that objective... then L2P and/or just move on to the next one.

Now that I have realized the design of the game, I play it how it has been designed. I was only making myself upset when someone ran in and took my objective because I wasn't smart enough to grab it first.
"We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life." - C-3PO from Star Wars - A New Hope

slafko
11.26.2013 , 02:53 AM | #47
Good thing you're not a politician in RL then.

Never_Hesitate
11.26.2013 , 03:07 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by sinnaman View Post
The game has been created in such a way that anyone can click an objective at anytime.... by DESIGN. If the game is designed this way, then is it wrong to play it by the "first man to click wins" philosophy?
Just compare it to the rl society.
By nature we do only care about our close relatives and friends, but as a group of people we have different rules which we hold, so we can live together.

In a social game like a mmo, there are two sets of rules:
-The rules set by the game/developers
-The rules the community makes so playing together gets easier and less frustrating.

While the 2. set of rules doesn't have any direct consequences from the developers, it can lead to people being hated/ignored by players.
(examples for the community created rules are ninjalooting or queuing as the wrong role in groupfinder)
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Rahak
11.26.2013 , 04:36 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
I was doing some Oricon dailies on my smuggler. I was about to engage a group of mobs when I saw a Jedi Shadow go by me under stealth. I mistook him for a Sith Assassin and I took advantage of him engaging the mobs - I went after the objective.

After the fact, the player called me out on it, calling me a profane name I will not repeat here. When I realized my mistake, I apologized and explained my mistake. He responded stating, "what the _____ does that matter? This is a PvE server."

My response was, that the empire is the enemy and it's been done to me by imps a lot.

Suffice it to say that after a short period of back and forth, I stated, "agree to disagree." and the private conversation ended.

So I ask the community, is it acceptable to "steal" objectives from enemy faction players on a PvE server?
I had a good 'ole giggle.
I bet your apologising to that scum made him even madder.
Kagekvinde

Tenboro
11.26.2013 , 04:39 AM | #50
Stealing also happens between same faction players as well.

I also play Neverwinter and the objectives for quests are ALWAYS active, regardless of whether someone clicked it just before you. It only goes inactive for you once you clicked it. Only downside is it will no longer respawn (for you, stops camping at one node I guess) ), but there is usually plenty of nodes around to finish the quest. So stealing objectives is pretty much non-existent.

Perhaps the devs could look into emulating something similar in TOR to solve the problem.