Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is being good at PvP viewed with such a negative connotation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why is being good at PvP viewed with such a negative connotation?

SeanFM
11.10.2013 , 04:32 PM | #21
The thing I find really funny is whenever someone makes a mistake, like being the victim of a ninja cap, they are labelled by many as f2p ie. "You f2p noob!!!!!" It seems some people need to realise that being a subscriber doesn't make you good at the game and being f2p doesn't mean you're a noob.
Vismanus on YouTube
Seanir - Sentinel ||| Venaola - Scoundrel
Teanir - Sniper ||| Veanir - Assassin

Projawa
11.10.2013 , 04:40 PM | #22
Another way of looking at it is: why do you care about others' perceptions? Play the game. Some will understand, others will be derisive. That's the nature of just about everything.

Seireeni
11.10.2013 , 04:42 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
Bolded: No, that will almost never be the case.
What I said:

Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
It's pretty typical for human mind to come up with excuses why they aren't as good as some other people. It's normal, and it's healthy. If I remember correctly, a mentally healthy person is at least a little more optimistic than realistic and imagine they are a little more skilled than they actually are. If you don't do that, there's a risk you may start showing signs of depression.

So, human mind comes with excuses why we didn't do as good as we expected. I lost in a sports competition, because I was a little sick a few days before it and haven't fully recovered yet. I failed at a test because the questions asked were about the things I didn't study as well as the other things, which weren't asked. I failed at pvp, because I have to live my life, while my opponent doesn't have one, so he can practise more.

Part of the problem might also be, than in television and movies at least, hardcore gamers are usually shown in a rather negative way. I personally haven't yet seen a series where a hardcore gamer who's good at some game is shown in any other light than "look, a funny no-life nerd who doesn't know what real life is!". (I don't watch that much tv, so I may have missed them, though.) Many people haven't actually met irl or even talked much url with hardcore gamers, so this idea media might give stays simply because it's the source of information they have about the typical "afk"-life of those players who top all charts in all warzones. (As ridiculous as it sounds, quite possible.)
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

OldSpiceSwag
11.10.2013 , 04:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Projawa View Post
Another way of looking at it is: why do you care about others' perceptions? Play the game. Some will understand, others will be derisive. That's the nature of just about everything.
hes curious about the stupidity of many

AshlaBoga
11.10.2013 , 04:43 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
Eh, I don't get the idea that people are thinking of me like that at all.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the OP is referring to.
I've never thought of the +2400 rating players as "no-lifers," I think of them as really organized and methodical.
That's a positive, not a negative.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

georgemattson
11.10.2013 , 04:44 PM | #26
Not all of us look at the top PvP (or PvE) players that way. I would be willing to bet I likely spend more time gaming than most people here (probably about 50-60 hours/week), but I simply don't maintain the same level of focus. I just figure someone who is that good at PvP a.) has likely been doing it for a while, b.) plays PvP almost exclusively, and c.) is probably 10-30 years younger than me.

Having just started PvP two months ago at the age of 45, I don't expect to top the leaderboards just yet.

cashogy_reborn
11.10.2013 , 04:46 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
What I said:
I know what you posted, but whoever I quoted chose to quote you out of context. At least that is how it was presented.

Quote: Originally Posted by OldSpiceSwag View Post
hes curious about the stupidity of many
This. I realize not everyone has this view, but it seems to come to light in a large majority of the threads posted here. Just curious as to why people have this imaginary stereotype that has, for some unknown reason, just become accepted as truth by a lot of people.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

mulzii
11.10.2013 , 05:17 PM | #28
what really constitutes being good? First, am i good? I'd say above average(unless on my sorc i guess). There are very few people in this game i would label as 'goodf/great' at pvp. There are a bunch of reasons why:

1. gear gap does not make one great.
in this game you can literally lose the majority of your matches, gear to the hilt in about a week (from scratch), and then gear stomp other folks. And no, bolster doesnt fix this, as people with money can aug/obroan themselves out and have a massive advantage (i've seen this first hand on my own toons. its like night and day being aug'd up).

2. rolling in a premade 90% of the time doesnt necessarily make one great
when i first started, i saw a couple of folks and said 'wow' they are great. Well, they were rolling in a premade at the times, and very good. Take them out of the premade/vent advantage, and all of a sudden most will play good, i'd say above average, but they play like me (who doesnt roll in premades or the advatnage of out of game communication). all of a sudden i'm thinking perhaps either i'm better than i thought, or they just had too much of an advatnage with a premade. I'll go premade on that one on that one.

3. class imbalance.
Kinda hard to have that 'wow' factor when an op healer brags they heal for 1million a match, when i can play mine once a month and get 900k without remember how to play her. Kinda hard to say that this sniper is great, when you play a jugg, and have 0 chance to take one out, as its the natural counter class.

4. scoreboard warriors
Yeah, i've seen some pretty gaudy numbers, but in the end what does it mean if you lose? Sorcs doing the consum+heal trick to boost heal numbers. ops, well everyone knows that one. smash monkeys and their dmg. carange maraduers chasing folks in the middle of the zone, miles away from an objective to pad their kills/dmg, etc. If i ignore all objectives, i can be one of these 'good looking pvpers' as well and do it occassionally. But generally, I play for objectives/wins so end stats suffer.

5. open world pvp.
lol. just lol. I play almost exclusively in oricon (when not pvp). The open world pvp 99.9% of the time usually has 3+ folks jumping me while i'm soloing fighting a champion or elite. That takes some real skill there...

Again, I'm nothing special either. I can use all the stuff above (and have) to 'look' great. But that doesnt mean i'm 'great'. But I have fun, and i'm competetive against most, and endure those advatnages when placed against me. But i'm also not blinded by the fact that 'great' is subjective and depends alot on the factors above.

KamujinKravshera
11.10.2013 , 06:16 PM | #29
Serious question. If you are good at PvP (Im talking top couple % here), why are you immediately labeled by spectators/opponents as a no-life, live in your parents basement kind of gamer? The stigma attached to having skill in a video game is so incredibly negative these days, its sometimes hard to actually believe it.

Is it because the "casual gamer" has grown so widespread in many of the popular types of gaming? And why is the "casual gamer" widely considered someone with only average playing skill?

Perhaps it is a reflection on society as a whole, where successful people are not only often ridiculed, but many less successful people demand their "fair share" of what those successful people have earned?

Im genuinely curious as to what you all think on this issue. In my opinion, overall play time has little to do with actual skill or performance in end-game PvP. So why does being good at pressing buttons cause many to immediately identify someone as a "no life gamer"?
I think there are a lot of people playing this game who have decided they are good at PvP without any real data to back it up. I'm really looking forward to the leader boards. IMO, a lot of the "cool kids" are going to find out how average they really are.

To answer your question, when someone who believes they are better than they really are loses, they often look for an excuse that doesn't make them reconsider their inflated estimate of their own skill.
I'm paper. Rock is fine. Nerf scissors!

Kamujin - Sage/Sorc Healer - Pot5

Tarackian
11.10.2013 , 06:26 PM | #30
Perhaps it is a reflection on society as a whole, where successful people are not only often ridiculed, but many less successful people demand their "fair share" of what those successful people have earned?
Seriously?

Thou doth protest too much.

Yes, obviously people want your skills. Ha! Maybe you're just a *****. Ever think about that?