Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why is being good at PvP viewed with such a negative connotation?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why is being good at PvP viewed with such a negative connotation?

Sappharan's Avatar


Sappharan
11.10.2013 , 02:55 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
Eh, I don't get the idea that people are thinking of me like that at all.
No--just make some more blooming videos! I enjoyed what you posted but those are the ONLY videos you posted! I know I am not alone in wanting to see more of yours, but NOOO, you just play and don't bother to let us see them

Anyway, if you could, great. If you stream and I have not noticed, I will try to catch you on stream. If it is too taxing on your system, I understand. Just hoping to see more.

UndyingHadyn's Avatar


UndyingHadyn
11.10.2013 , 03:27 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
Serious question. If you are good at PvP (Im talking top couple % here), why are you immediately labeled by spectators/opponents as a no-life, live in your parents basement kind of gamer? The stigma attached to having skill in a video game is so incredibly negative these days, its sometimes hard to actually believe it.

Is it because the "casual gamer" has grown so widespread in many of the popular types of gaming? And why is the "casual gamer" widely considered someone with only average playing skill?

Perhaps it is a reflection on society as a whole, where successful people are not only often ridiculed, but many less successful people demand their "fair share" of what those successful people have earned?


Im genuinely curious as to what you all think on this issue. In my opinion, overall play time has little to do with actual skill or performance in end-game PvP. So why does being good at pressing buttons cause many to immediately identify someone as a "no life gamer"?

There are way worse things to do with your free time, then log onto a game.


Interesting thread, but invalid arguement. Hmm. The scarier question would be, how much stock is held by people in a digital conflict? In other words, at what point do people extend beyond the obvious premise that this is fiction? There are also way too many variables within game design, game engines, and specific game mechanics, that can both help and hurt all types of players. The biggest source of debate is the embrace or disregard of said mechanics, which players either have the sense to grasp, or they don't. In other words, understanding game mechanics is the biggest curve anyone has in gaming. When you have two opponents that both play and understand their class, the beauty comes from how they choose to apply their abilities. Good games, are games that provide a sorted variety of meaningful and efficient ways for its players to express themselves. Ergo...if pvp boils down to just a few player options per class, that game won't last.

I agree that the length of time played on a certain game does not reflect a player's ability. I'd also state that the length of time *should not* determine a player's ability to win either. Any stigma that you've mentioned, has been born of a classic pitfall that many game developers subscribe to, which of course is the GRIND. The limitations on a player's abilities to improve themselves with minimal rewards, are the biggest culprit. On the other hand, mmo's need reasons for people to roam and explore their universe, that's why we see levels. Honestly, the levels themselves should be accomplishments, that can only be granted based on a player's skill level. Funny reference, but back at the launch of AOC, the final destiny quest that each player would need to complete, was actually challenging a players ability to observe dynamics, monitor the battle's progression, and it demanded an above average skill level with your class that challenged your timing. Now basically said... If you were an incompetent player, you could not complete the game.

At any rate they reduced the difficulty level to appease the masses. The original fight relied simply on awareness and timing, both which anyone possessed could be completed with modest difficultly. Now...who wins in this sort of classification system? Hmm? I think that levels should not just be granted in the current "I've played for a month, I expect to be a certain level" mentality that currently exists in mmo's like swtor. Another greater question would be, if there was a game that only granted levels after demonstrating a predetermined level of skill...would people actually play it?

I know I sure the hell would. My forum subscription is ending in a few days.

Evolixe's Avatar


Evolixe
11.10.2013 , 03:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Sappharan View Post
No--just make some more blooming videos! I enjoyed what you posted but those are the ONLY videos you posted! I know I am not alone in wanting to see more of yours, but NOOO, you just play and don't bother to let us see them

Anyway, if you could, great. If you stream and I have not noticed, I will try to catch you on stream. If it is too taxing on your system, I understand. Just hoping to see more.
Nvidia is working on a program called Shadowplay.

If that works the way I think it does, not only can it record video at great quality under very highly compressed codecs, it can also stream at less than a third of the bitrate any other streaming program needs.

Once that program works I can do streaming.. untill then.. It can record 20 minutes of you last gameplay without permanently storing it on your Harddrive.. but that requires windows 8.
So I'm going to need an upgrade, but first I need another Wifi adapter that is compatible first otherwise I have no internet :/
Evolixe [ToFN/PoT5] Exilove
PvE AMR - Livestream - PvP AMR
Quote:
Open yourself to suggestions from others.
There is so much to be learned from other people no matter how good you are.

Gnoblesse's Avatar


Gnoblesse
11.10.2013 , 03:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post

The other thread got deleted because my comments (and I sure others) hit a little bit too close to home for some people to swallow. It is what it is...reality. Yeah, I know some military people who are great at PvP, even some college and high school age kids. But a good majority are the no-lifers, the people who practically live in the game because this is all they have.
My former pvp guild included a radiologist, a gastroenterologist, a dentist, a stock broker, and others I'm probably forgetting. A couple of other PvP friends I know include an eye surgeon and a lawyer.

Try again.

Wraiven's Avatar


Wraiven
11.10.2013 , 03:43 PM | #15
I don't even care one way or the other. I mean, I'm glad they are good and all, but it matters none to me how good or how bad they are. It matters none to me if they suck at life or if they are successful. Who do people even care? I don't place them on a pedestal and jock them, I don't place them beneath me and belittle them...I simply...don't give a rat's a** either way.
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

Wraiven's Avatar


Wraiven
11.10.2013 , 03:46 PM | #16
The only way it matters to me, is if they are teamed with me...then I care if they are good or if they are bad.
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

JeremyShelton's Avatar


JeremyShelton
11.10.2013 , 04:00 PM | #17
You can be above average or better at pvp on as little as 2 hrs a night. Nice thing about pvp is that I can spend time with my 4 kids and still enjoy video games in my leisure. PvE, especially the raids, would require me to choose and a game would not be my choice.
Seuhae - Gunslinger
Sfcshelton - Commando
Samuel- Jedi Sentinel
Hosaam - Jedi Sage

OldSpiceSwag's Avatar


OldSpiceSwag
11.10.2013 , 04:12 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
Most rumors, stereotypes, myths, and hearsay are based on experience and fact.

To get good at anything, you have to practice. Sure there are savants, people who are just freakin' awesome at something as if they were born to do it, but they are the exception. To get good at video games, MMOs in particular, requires lots and lots of play time. Do /played the next time you're on your main to find out how many days of your life you've toiled away playing pew pew in a pretend Star Wars environment.

The other thread got deleted because my comments (and I sure others) hit a little bit too close to home for some people to swallow. It is what it is...reality. Yeah, I know some military people who are great at PvP, even some college and high school age kids. But a good majority are the no-lifers, the people who practically live in the game because this is all they have.
guh

DarthRaika's Avatar


DarthRaika
11.10.2013 , 04:14 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I failed at pvp, because I have to live my life, while my opponent doesn't have one, so he can practise more.
Most of the time it is due to what Seireeni said.

However, I have seen this a lot more in games without matchmaking than with matchmaking.

In SWTOR you have a lot of people who very rarely pug anymore and have fun pugstomping for hours at a time.

While the skilled casual or skilled hardcore who wants matchmaking is just as likely to have a nice life as anyone else I think it is likely that a person who does not want competition has a need to feel better about his irl.

When people see teams that play for hours at a time and mostly fight bad players in bad gear then it is rather logical to assume that these people have a need to compensate for some other area of their lives. So then many people assume all strong pvprs have bad irls.

However, In my experience, many good pvprs who want competition actually have nice lives. I think us engineers are the best pvprs out there .

cashogy_reborn's Avatar


cashogy_reborn
11.10.2013 , 04:27 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRaika View Post
Most of the time it is due to what Seireeni said.

However, I have seen this a lot more in games without matchmaking than with matchmaking.

In SWTOR you have a lot of people who very rarely pug anymore and have fun pugstomping for hours at a time.

While the skilled casual or skilled hardcore who wants matchmaking is just as likely to have a nice life as anyone else I think it is likely that a person who does not want competition has a need to feel better about his irl.

When people see teams that play for hours at a time and mostly fight bad players in bad gear then it is rather logical to assume that these people have a need to compensate for some other area of their lives. So then many people assume all strong pvprs have bad irls.

However, In my experience, many good pvprs who want competition actually have nice lives. I think us engineers are the best pvprs out there .
Bolded: No, that will almost never be the case.

What you deem to be "Pug stomping" is in almost every case 4 members of a PvP guild grouping to complete their daily weekly, grouping b/c they are friends, etc etc.

Please tell me what exactly people are supposed to do? Not play with friends to make it more fair for the less skilled? LOL, its an MMO ffs.


Stop assuming that you can extrapolate anything about a person's life based on their ability to play a game. You say that super good players are no lifers, but who are you to assume such things and then use to in the form of a personal attack? What kind of a person launches into attacks on another gamer's lifestyle? It has absolutely nothing to do with gaming.

If someone is bad at the game, theyre bad at the game. If theyre good, then theyre good. Its as simple as that.


Id love for someone to actually provide some kind of real evidence that this stereotype is even remotely based in reality. Based on what I can see, its nothing more than a concoction of the lesser skilled to justify their abilities, or lack thereof.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads