Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Class And Story

Never_Hesitate
11.11.2013 , 07:48 AM | #11
My list is the following:
  1. Agent
  2. Smuggler/Inquisitor
  3. Warrior
  4. Knight
  5. BH/Trooper
  6. Consular (My Shadow is currently on Voss so maybe my Opinion about the 3rd chapter will change))
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, Caphalør Sorc, Kindarya Assa, Leonië PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Ugasonofuga
11.11.2013 , 08:00 AM | #12
My list of stories played so far:
1.) Sith Warrior
2.) Jedi Knight
3.) Sith Inquisitor
4.) Agent

Not many stories played (I know, PvPler and stuff ) but my fav is still Sith Warrior. Just epic evilness the whole time. Same goes with knight only in not-evil. Inquisitor just has some awesome quotes. Agent felt kind of predictable for me, it was a nice idea but...meh
Vayyn
Quote: Originally Posted by Leafy_Bug View Post
Assassins : getting nerfed since 93 because of pesky PVE-ers

AlrikFassbauer
11.11.2013 , 09:21 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
I've come to the conclusion that what's really going on their is that people don't want to play a Jedi like a Jedi is described (serene, reflective, self-sacrificing); they want to solve problems by shooting or poking people in the face. That's cool, but it does not mean the narrative is lacking.
We live in an Age Of Action, so to say, in RPG terms it's an "Age Of Actrion-RPGs".

No one wants lame stories, and slow stories. Haven't you noticed how much faster the movies have become during the last 10-20 years ? Watch a 20 year old movie with your kids - they're gonne be asleep within 30 minutes I bet.

"Despicable Me 2" is such an example. It is so fast that it has to be seen at least twice. Or "Flushed Away" by the Wallace & Gromit makers. Similar case.

Another point is, that people want to become cool Gangstas, to put it cynically. Altruism is something as borims is it doesn't get you power. And in this Age Of Action-RPGs, people want to save the world, they want power, because Blizzard with their immense, monstrously profitable Action-RPGs actually managed the people to train that "Rising To Power !" (that's THE marketing slogan of Dragon Age 2, by the way !) is the ONLY thing that matters. Blizzard trained people into believing that a an actual story & social interactions with NPCs is something that can be easily thrown away in favour of EVERY mechanic that makes the player's character to be godful awesome !
In Action-RPGs - which SWTOR basically is as well - NPCS have become a) quest givers b) cannon-fodder, and b) meaning = "tool to let the player gain MOAR POWAH !"

Stories ? Who needs stories ?

Shooters & Action-RPGs clearly dominate the PC games market nowadays (and the consoles market to some extent, too).

Story-heavy Adventure Games have died out. Management, marketing and everyone else just decided that people don't want to play them - "let's produce te 100.00th sequel of ANY shooter or Action-RPG instead !"

Someone has told the LucasArts management that here in Europe ALL Adventure games players have DIED OUT, when LucasArts was doing a second "SAm & Max" Adventure Game. That's why they cancelled it. That fact was accessible for several years on the TellTale web site, within the "Summer Of Sam & Max" blog.

People just don't want to be "nice". They want to be bad. That's why GTA has such a great success. That's why the Empire Faction gets so many dfocus nowadays (hasn't anyone notice that people speak of classes ALWAYS with imperial class names, imperial abilities names, imperial FP & OP names and so on ?).

Further reading :
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsCool
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsBoring
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Master-Nala
11.11.2013 , 10:08 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Another point is, that people want to become cool Gangstas, to put it cynically. Altruism is something as borims is it doesn't get you power. And in this Age Of Action-RPGs, people want to save the world, they want power, because Blizzard with their immense, monstrously profitable Action-RPGs actually managed the people to train that "Rising To Power !" (that's THE marketing slogan of Dragon Age 2, by the way !) is the ONLY thing that matters. Blizzard trained people into believing that a an actual story & social interactions with NPCs is something that can be easily thrown away in favour of EVERY mechanic that makes the player's character to be godful awesome !
In Action-RPGs - which SWTOR basically is as well - NPCS have become a) quest givers b) cannon-fodder, and b) meaning = "tool to let the player gain MOAR POWAH !"

Stories ? Who needs stories ?

Shooters & Action-RPGs clearly dominate the PC games market nowadays (and the consoles market to some extent, too).

Story-heavy Adventure Games have died out. Management, marketing and everyone else just decided that people don't want to play them - "let's produce te 100.00th sequel of ANY shooter or Action-RPG instead !"

Someone has told the LucasArts management that here in Europe ALL Adventure games players have DIED OUT, when LucasArts was doing a second "SAm & Max" Adventure Game. That's why they cancelled it. That fact was accessible for several years on the TellTale web site, within the "Summer Of Sam & Max" blog.

People just don't want to be "nice". They want to be bad. That's why GTA has such a great success. That's why the Empire Faction gets so many dfocus nowadays (hasn't anyone notice that people speak of classes ALWAYS with imperial class names, imperial abilities names, imperial FP & OP names and so on ?).

Further reading :
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilIsCool
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoodIsBoring
Agreed, and it's sad. I was looking through some old games yesterday and found my old copies of Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island. I don't think we will ever see the like again.

As for the good = boring, evil = fun trope, I get that, but I get so annoyed when people conflate that with good storytelling. The Sith Warrior story is good storytelling whether you go good or bad. The Agent story has some really cool moments but the story is non-sensical. Especially when you go evil.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni & Hard-Top
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thofia

Darth_Wicked
11.11.2013 , 10:21 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
Agreed, and it's sad. I was looking through some old games yesterday and found my old copies of Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island. I don't think we will ever see the like again.

As for the good = boring, evil = fun trope, I get that, but I get so annoyed when people conflate that with good storytelling. The Sith Warrior story is good storytelling whether you go good or bad. The Agent story has some really cool moments but the story is non-sensical. Especially when you go evil.
Had you mentioned one of the other three, I sure miss them... Escape From Monkey Island, on the other hand, was by far the WORST game in the series. How they screwed it up so much after Grim Fandango is still beyond me to this day.
Click here for FREE unlocks ( Referral Link )
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord Praven on the Esus Mesa
My family is true Sith. My only passions are integrity and honor.

Master-Nala
11.11.2013 , 12:28 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Wicked View Post
Had you mentioned one of the other three, I sure miss them... Escape From Monkey Island, on the other hand, was by far the WORST game in the series. How they screwed it up so much after Grim Fandango is still beyond me to this day.
I might have the name wrong, perils of replying on the road from your phone.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni & Hard-Top
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thofia

Projawa
11.11.2013 , 12:38 PM | #17
1. Warrior
2. Agent
3. Inquisitor
4. Consular
5. Knight
6. Smuggler
7. Trooper
8. BH

The warrior story has the best pacing and supporting characters. All 3 acts are very solid- there's no drop off. Other stories like the smuggler start off strong but taper off by act3. IMO the female warrior voiceover is tops.

BW did a great job with the stories, it's just that some are better than others.

ekimmak
11.11.2013 , 01:27 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by imnotawitch View Post
So... I've finished Act 2 on all but Smuggler and Jedi Knight, of which I've finished Act 1 and part of Act 2. From the other 6, I've finished all but Trooper. Without further ado, my rankings..

1. Sith Warrior/Sith Inquisitor tie

3. Smuggler

4. Trooper

5. Bounty Hunter

6. Consular

7. Other game offerings such as ops and dailies

8. Chatting on fleet

9. Watching fleet chat go by.

10. Twiddling my thumbs doing nothing

11. Taking a punch to the face

12. Twilight

13. Jedi Knight

14. Imperial Agent

I know most people are eager to serve up praise for my two least favorite class stories, but I feel the need to comment on posts like these so that people can see that the opinions aren't universal.
You think that Twilight, of all things, is better than those two class stories? If it's just because you're feeling hostile towards the classes because people think they're popular, I'd understand, but any major flaw with those stories is paramount across the full game, not just those two.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Darth_Wicked
11.11.2013 , 02:25 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ekimmak View Post
You think that Twilight, of all things, is better than those two class stories? If it's just because you're feeling hostile towards the classes because people think they're popular, I'd understand, but any major flaw with those stories is paramount across the full game, not just those two.
Dude was obviously trolling and seeking attention. Best not to feed it.
Click here for FREE unlocks ( Referral Link )
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord Praven on the Esus Mesa
My family is true Sith. My only passions are integrity and honor.

Critical-
11.11.2013 , 05:53 PM | #20
1. Smuggler
2. Inquisitor
3. Warrior/Knight

Playing a Consular atm and i most say im loving it and halfway chapter 2