Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why not try to help PUGs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why not try to help PUGs?

georgemattson's Avatar


georgemattson
11.09.2013 , 01:50 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
In warzones, there's a problem with ignore. Since /ignore doesn't affect matchmaking - you get to same teams with people you have ignored - you may make life more difficult to yourself and/or your team. When that person who was insulting everyone last match tries to call incs in the next match, you can't see those messages. Which may result in you losing a node.

With my healers, I usually dealt with this kind of people by stopping healing them. Hopefully, they die, a lot, and ragequit, and we get someone with manners as a backfill.
Yeah, I can definitely see your point, and I imagine that may potentially become an issue. From what I've noticed so far, though, having only added two WZ players to my iggy list, those guys were not overly team players to begin with, though, and very focused on just farming comms. Not sure they'd ever be in a position to call out incoming? Of course, I could very well be wrong, but for my own mental and emotional well-being, I'd prefer to filter out the non-ending stream of profanity and risk it.

Seireeni's Avatar


Seireeni
11.09.2013 , 02:13 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
Yeah, I can definitely see your point, and I imagine that may potentially become an issue. From what I've noticed so far, though, having only added two WZ players to my iggy list, those guys were not overly team players to begin with, though, and very focused on just farming comms. Not sure they'd ever be in a position to call out incoming? Of course, I could very well be wrong, but for my own mental and emotional well-being, I'd prefer to filter out the non-ending stream of profanity and risk it.
I'm glad if you haven't met more than 2 people worth ignoring, and if they truly were as terrible teamplayers as you said, it probably doesn't hurt anyone if you ignore them. But I at least have met some players, who are doing pretty fine in the team - as long as we're winning. If we're losing or if there are just some people who are new to pvp and don't know what they're doing, they start blaming their team. These are tricky cases with ignoring, because they actually are useful to the team, even though they have sort of...fiery temperament.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

georgemattson's Avatar


georgemattson
11.09.2013 , 03:50 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
I'm glad if you haven't met more than 2 people worth ignoring, and if they truly were as terrible teamplayers as you said, it probably doesn't hurt anyone if you ignore them. But I at least have met some players, who are doing pretty fine in the team - as long as we're winning. If we're losing or if there are just some people who are new to pvp and don't know what they're doing, they start blaming their team. These are tricky cases with ignoring, because they actually are useful to the team, even though they have sort of...fiery temperament.
Well, for what it's worth, it tends to take an awful lot for me to ignore someone. Everyone gets angry or irritated on occasion, and that I don't mind, but the constant, sexist, profanity-laden tirade that just kept going for the majority of the match was where I drew the line. What was especially puzzling to me was the sexism. Yes, it was a female toon, but I always assume 90% of most players are men and just seeing a female toon doesn't make me assume the person playing it is female. Yet they definitely thought that, and that was evidently an issue. If they think I'm stupid, fine. If they get angry at me because I'm trying to tell them what to do, fine. But when they assume my gender has anything to do with it and also don't bother explaining *why* they think I'm stupid, and have to emphasize that to great length, volume, and vehemence because my toon pees sitting down and they mistakenly believe I do as well, I tend to think that kind of player doesn't have anything constructive to offer.

Seireeni's Avatar


Seireeni
11.09.2013 , 04:10 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
Well, for what it's worth, it tends to take an awful lot for me to ignore someone. Everyone gets angry or irritated on occasion, and that I don't mind, but the constant, sexist, profanity-laden tirade that just kept going for the majority of the match was where I drew the line. What was especially puzzling to me was the sexism. Yes, it was a female toon, but I always assume 90% of most players are men and just seeing a female toon doesn't make me assume the person playing it is female. Yet they definitely thought that, and that was evidently an issue. If they think I'm stupid, fine. If they get angry at me because I'm trying to tell them what to do, fine. But when they assume my gender has anything to do with it and also don't bother explaining *why* they think I'm stupid, and have to emphasize that to great length, volume, and vehemence because my toon pees sitting down and they mistakenly believe I do as well, I tend to think that kind of player doesn't have anything constructive to offer.
Yeah, I know the type. Ironically, these people are usually the ones handicapping their team - if not before they start raging, certainly after it. When they start using all their time typing to the chat instead of playing the game, there are only 7 people in your team actually trying to something and one trying to make everyone else feel bad. And yeah, they are usually the ones who won't call incs even if they do guard, so it doesn't really matter if you ignore them or not.

Btw, it might annoy you that someone assumes you're a female because of your female toon, it also annoys females (me, at least) that everyone automatically assumes I'm a guy, no matter what kind of toon I play. I understand why they do it, but I don't have to like it.
There is a face beneath this mask but it's not me.
Red Eclipse - 22 characters - The Firslay Legacy

Sangrar's Avatar


Sangrar
11.09.2013 , 04:10 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
So I can't find the thread, but I recall someone posted a question as to the best PvP match people had played.
That was me
[Bastion]Guildmaster<Galactic Saviors>-War Hero Spaceboomer-55 Commando/Captain Starforce-55 Scoundrel/Darth Caddar-55 Juggernaut/Lord Brakaras-32 Assassin/Master Teckan-38 Sage/Firefighter-27 Powertech/Nightprowler-13 Sniper
refferal link for returning players and free character transfer and free inventory slot

georgemattson's Avatar


georgemattson
11.09.2013 , 04:31 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni View Post
Btw, it might annoy you that someone assumes you're a female because of your female toon, it also annoys females (me, at least) that everyone automatically assumes I'm a guy, no matter what kind of toon I play. I understand why they do it, but I don't have to like it.
Well, for what it's worth, I've always figured there are actually three genders on the internet. Male, female, and "other." Unless you're secretly Anne Hathaway playing the game and having an uncontrollable urge to come meet me in person, I've never cared whether the people on the other end of the Internet pee sitting down or standing up. If SWTOR were a dating site, I could see the point, but otherwise, I don't think it should matter, so for me everyone online here is "other."

Quote: Originally Posted by Sangrar View Post
That was a great thread. I seriously did want to post on it (and will go post there now), but I forgot to subscribe to it and couldn't find it.

Banderal's Avatar


Banderal
11.09.2013 , 04:49 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by ScarletBlaze View Post
Sometimes though people have no idea what to do. I don't pvp and I will not based on what I have read and seen in these forums. I tried it once and tried to explain to the person I have no idea what I am supposed to do and let's just say from the behavior and the attitude I received I will not set foot in a pvp area again.
That is really, REALLY sad. I guess I got lucky, way back on "The Deadweight" (what a prophetic name that was). I got into a couple PvP games, of course without knowing a thing about what I was doing. Throw the huttball, how the heck do you do that? After the first time I finally completed a pass I remember coming back to Ilum (there were little PvP boxes to collect in Ilum back then) I joked a bit in general chat... "I just completed a pass in Huttball! I'm so happy! (Baby steps)."

I got a lot of positive response, actually, and an invite to a guild (PWNT, good guys). They were completely willing to take on someone who was obviously a newb. So when we had a guy recently in a huttball who just held the ball until he actually blew up with it - yeah, he was getting a LOT of rage in chat. But after the match I whispered him to see if he maybe didn't know how to throw it. Sure enough, he was trying to figure it out. He thought you targeted someone, and then hit the 'throw' button. That's the same thing I tried at first. But now he knows, and doesn't get raged (at least about that ) anymore. Point of story - there are some of us who will try to help out the new person (just like the original poster). If you are on POT5 - feel free to whisper any of my toons if you see them and you want to try again. At least then you'd have one person that doesn't rage at you.

And to the OP, you say you are a bad player? I would totally have voted you MVP from the match you describe. Anyone who tries to organize the team in any sort of constructive fashion almost always gets my vote, since I think that's one of the most useful thing you can do.
Imagynary - Fractional - Rhandom - Lottoe (Pub)
Eerational - CryMeAnOcean - LuckyGoHappy (Imp)

POT5

Arlanon's Avatar


Arlanon
11.09.2013 , 04:52 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by vennian
Dont. You're gonna be part of the problem instead of the solution. And It's gonna get boring real quick.
OMG. Don't listen to this guy. Premades are only a "problem" for the derp pug teams you're trying to get away from.

Quote: Originally Posted by Seireeni
Coming from the same server as you do, part of this problem is also that it seems to me that sometimes, some people just don't understand english at all. (I'm trying not to look towards the russian players, most of them are competent and understand english, but I have met way too many who - it seems - don't.) It's hard to explain a strategy if part of the team doesn't understand what you're saying.
http://assets-cloud.enjin.com/users/...al/1746729.jpg

georgemattson's Avatar


georgemattson
11.09.2013 , 05:12 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Banderal View Post
That is really, REALLY sad. I guess I got lucky, way back on "The Deadweight" (what a prophetic name that was). I got into a couple PvP games, of course without knowing a thing about what I was doing. Throw the huttball, how the heck do you do that? After the first time I finally completed a pass I remember coming back to Ilum (there were little PvP boxes to collect in Ilum back then) I joked a bit in general chat... "I just completed a pass in Huttball! I'm so happy! (Baby steps)."

I got a lot of positive response, actually, and an invite to a guild (PWNT, good guys). They were completely willing to take on someone who was obviously a newb. So when we had a guy recently in a huttball who just held the ball until he actually blew up with it - yeah, he was getting a LOT of rage in chat. But after the match I whispered him to see if he maybe didn't know how to throw it. Sure enough, he was trying to figure it out. He thought you targeted someone, and then hit the 'throw' button. That's the same thing I tried at first. But now he knows, and doesn't get raged (at least about that ) anymore. Point of story - there are some of us who will try to help out the new person (just like the original poster). If you are on POT5 - feel free to whisper any of my toons if you see them and you want to try again. At least then you'd have one person that doesn't rage at you.

And to the OP, you say you are a bad player? I would totally have voted you MVP from the match you describe. Anyone who tries to organize the team in any sort of constructive fashion almost always gets my vote, since I think that's one of the most useful thing you can do.
^^ LOL! ^^

So totally this! I had to go research online how the heck to throw the Huttball, and I remember the first few games (before I found out) that I would try and avoid being anywhere forward of the ball carrier just so he (hopefully) wouldn't be tempted to throw the ball to me. Heck, even a few nights ago, I found myself unable to throw as I had rolled a new toon, very first Huttball match, and had forgotten to bind the key on the new toon. My first few PvP milestones were huge for me. I was absolutely thrilled the first time I threw the Huttball, ecstatic when I actually scored a goal (I actually scored three in that game), and completely beside myself when I got my first "invincible."

I still remember playing Age of Conan and getting very discouraged as a barbarian when I got ganked in open world PvP by a guy five levels below me who completely annihilated me. It was my first PvP experience, but then I had joined AoC specifically for PvP and was hoping I'd have the nerve to try it. Didn't happen. SWTOR is my first "real" PvP experience, and I gotta tell you - I was ganked by a player three levels above me the other day after I'd taken a group of mobs down (so I was about 80% health), and I still defeated him. I was completely pumped for the rest of the day. Saw him a little later on, but I didn't attack him. Should have, I guess, but he saw me and steered clear. That was a big ego boost.

Oh, and fwiw, I'm actually on PoT5, so I'm sure I'll see you around. At some point, I ought to add my characters to my sig, but here they are:

Arlenvoss (55, watchman sent, woefully undergeared)
Rexorshan (54, watchman sent)
Keyira (15, combat sent - this is the one I'm playing most, now)

Then there's the rest (mostly crafting/gathering alts, although arlen is a crafting alt for me as well):

Cheldiarr (35 - concealment operative)
Karnad (21 - annihilation marauder)
Aldenack (19 - gunslinger)
O'rama (11 - inquisitor)
Muleone (11 - gunslinger)

BoushhDC's Avatar


BoushhDC
11.09.2013 , 05:17 PM | #30
Actually, when I go into PUGs w/ player names and/or guild names I don't recognize, I have it in the back of my mind that there might be some new players and that they might not know certain mechanics and might need to be told (such as that once you capture a node, you can't just abandon it because the other team can go take it from you.) With that in mind, I do try to be helpful. It's healthy for a game to attract a steady influx of players new to the game, keeping populations strong and content rolling, and I'm all for it.

That having been said, about a week ago, I got a Civil War. The team I was on started where "Grass" (west) was
our closest node. I headed immediately for the far node (Snow) and noticed I had one teammate coming with me. We immediately took the node and killed the one opponent there. Simultaneously our team was capping Grass. After we finished off the opponent, I popped my map to see where the rest of the team was. They were all Mid which the other team had captured. And by "all" I mean *ALL*. Whoever had capped Grass (possibly several people, since I hadn't seen that part) had all left, abandoning Grass and went Mid. I typed out that no one was at Grass, and that we had 2 incoming towards snow. The person I was with typed "incoming snow" at the same time. Then we both typed "3 snow [still, no one comes from mid to back us up].... 4.... 4 [still, no one comes].... 4 Snow!! Snow, snow, snow! [no one]" in rapid succession as the opponents streamed in to attack the two of us. So we both die, and I'm hoping in the last furious moments that someone had come from mid in time to interrupt the cap, buying us time to get back since as I look at the map, it hadn't changed over yet as I rez'd. So knowing that sometimes people get their ears pinned back and don't notice the Chat box, I hit the caps lock to get their attention and tell them to get out of mid, defend what we have, someone get grass, as I'm looping around on the speeder after rez'ing. As I ride, I pop my map and notice: still no one has gone Grass, nor Snow and everyone is at Mid. At that time, someone finally responds (thus dispelling the thought that possibly we had an influx of non-English speakers) with "Ooh look, caps!" As I'm landing, Snow gets capped, so I myself head towards Grass as I launch into a spicy string of colorful language (which I usually don't ever get close to being aggravated enough to engage in) out of sheer frustration and dizzying disbelief. As was running towards grass but still out of range, a stealther pops out and caps Grass.

Congratulations Noobs, you earned your 3-cap loss the hard way, or as others put it, "Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" (None of which I actually said to them, btw). I wouldn't mention this story other than over the course of this same week, this scenario has repeated itself with eerie similarity two more times. I'm just at a loss... literally. As I told one person, it really isn't a big deal to me if people make a mistake (because we all do), because they'll learn and I don't mind giving new players information and the benefit of the doubt because they might not know the mechanics, but when you're doing your absolute utmost to communicate but are ignored and actions aren't taken to respond (backup when a node is under siege) or rectify the mistake (abandoning a node), or take direction ("fall back out of Mid and defend what we have captured"), then I don't know what to tell you... well, I do know, but usually I try to keep it to myself once the damage is done... usually.
All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. --Sun Tzu