Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why not try to help PUGs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why not try to help PUGs?

georgemattson
11.08.2013 , 08:37 PM | #1
So I can't find the thread, but I recall someone posted a question as to the best PvP match people had played. I've had a few, but my memory is bad enough that I rypically can't really recall enough details for a good story.

However... I just had what was one of my better PvP matches. Not because it was down to the wire or because we did spectacularly well, but I was in a Novarre Coast match with a bunch of other Republic PUGs that we managed to turn around from a pretty bad start.

Seeing as I tend not to trust other people to guard nodes, I headed east and set up to guard. Three other pubs came with me, and I mentioned that we didn't need four guards, but by the time they got the point, we were down 100%-70%. I asked the other two if they would guard and call incoming, so I could head south, and no response. Finally, one asked, "call incoming?" Not a great sign, but about that time they decided to head west. Another player complained about the group heading all the map again, and maybe it was the past two nights of "YOU GUYS ALL SUCK!" that I'd been reading in WZ chat, but I got tired of it and decided to give direction.

First, I pointed out that splitting our forces south and west would guarantee a loss. Then I asked everyone to zerg south. And you know what? Everyone listened! One guy came up to guard with me (I'm a lvl 15 sent, so rather squishy), but then headed west. I asked him to stop and head south, and he did. Eventually, we took south, and at 100% to 24%, we had two nodes. I asked everyone to forget west and hold south and east, called out incoming a few times after that (and each time, people came to help and we kept the node). At one point, the other team zerged east and one of the other players told everyone to "keep 2 south, everyone else east." And sure enough, we all did. The node was almost taken, but that's it; almost.

In the end, it was a marvel of cooperation and although I sucked (as I usually do), everyone worked together, as a team, and everyone listened to directions.

I know it's fashionable to bash noobs, tell everyone how much we all suck (and yeah, some of us definitely do), but we were all noobs once and we can actually get better. Screaming at everybody that they all suck and need to get better isn't going to do it, though.

VigDiath
11.08.2013 , 08:47 PM | #2
I don't mind helping but sometimes people respond negatively when you try to give direction. As was pointed out in a post I read earlier, when someone suggested something to someone to help the team the response given back was "Do you pay my sub?" You can't help people with that attitude.

I do offer suggestions every now and then or because my main is my Shadow I'll let people know I'm going to guard a specific node and I'll call incoming if I need help. But I can't control the 2 "War Zone Heroes" who want to chase enemy players all over the map lol. And it happens quite a bit.

In the end if you PUG you can only hope that you get a good group of people who understand their roles and listen or give good advice or that you get on a pretty good pre-made team.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

georgemattson
11.08.2013 , 09:07 PM | #3
Funny you should mention that. Since the time I posted this thread originally, I played another match and got two people who completely met that description. Kept spewing out the **** comments, called me a stupid b***h (I'm actually a guy, and this is my first female toon; wanted a different sent, as this is my fourth), etc. Definitely pretty nasty.

Ah well... we were getting our butts well and truly kicked until I started calling out instructions, but the rest of the group listened and we turned things around and won afterward.

Added both of those guys to the ignore list. Would be nice if that meant I'd never queue for PvP with them again.

Jarfunkz
11.08.2013 , 09:12 PM | #4
Waste of my time. Teaching people to pvp in 10 minutes is well.... unsuccessful.
VicVega

georgemattson
11.08.2013 , 09:28 PM | #5
You know... what's funny is that I don't know you from Adam but I can pretty much guarantee you're probably a LOT better than me in PvP, so coming from the point of view of one of those people someone like you could potentially teach in that ten minute time period, I can tell you that some of us do listen. I didn't get better at winning warzones from reading the forums. I got better by listening to people telling me to stay on node, hit the ball carrier, attack the healer, etc. Heck, when I first started, I had no clue who the healers were, had no idea what the target markers meant, and the only thing I knew to do was go attack whoever had the lowest health bar on the other side.

I still suck with my rotation, can't play my class a tenth as well as the typical 12-year old player (I'm 46 and have the reflexes of a 96-year old man), but I do at least know how to play as a team member.

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of other players like me out there.

Arlanon
11.08.2013 , 09:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath
I don't mind helping but sometimes people respond negatively when you try to give direction. As was pointed out in a post I read earlier, when someone suggested something to someone to help the team the response given back was "Do you pay my sub?" You can't help people with that attitude.
Right. Many pugs cannot be helped, because in their minds, they are already leet pros who are better than everyone else

your attempts to help such people are met with extreme prejudice

i would expect that most of the players of this category are the young ones

Jarfunkz
11.08.2013 , 09:41 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
You know... what's funny is that I don't know you from Adam but I can pretty much guarantee you're probably a LOT better than me in PvP, so coming from the point of view of one of those people someone like you could potentially teach in that ten minute time period, I can tell you that some of us do listen. I didn't get better at winning warzones from reading the forums. I got better by listening to people telling me to stay on node, hit the ball carrier, attack the healer, etc. Heck, when I first started, I had no clue who the healers were, had no idea what the target markers meant, and the only thing I knew to do was go attack whoever had the lowest health bar on the other side.

I still suck with my rotation, can't play my class a tenth as well as the typical 12-year old player (I'm 46 and have the reflexes of a 96-year old man), but I do at least know how to play as a team member.

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of other players like me out there.
I like your mentality.
VicVega

DarthMaulUK
11.09.2013 , 02:43 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlanon View Post
Right. Many pugs cannot be helped, because in their minds, they are already leet pros who are better than everyone else

your attempts to help such people are met with extreme prejudice

i would expect that most of the players of this category are the young ones
Indeed. You can't teach common sense. And, there's more than enough videos and guides for players to improve their pvp skills and how pvp works in this game. I am a firm believer in 'helping yourself'.

yesterday a level 55 said in Novare Coast - 'can we win with just one node?' - That kinda sums up the bads in pvp right now
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

Raansu
11.09.2013 , 04:35 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by georgemattson View Post
So I can't find the thread, but I recall someone posted a question as to the best PvP match people had played. I've had a few, but my memory is bad enough that I rypically can't really recall enough details for a good story.

However... I just had what was one of my better PvP matches. Not because it was down to the wire or because we did spectacularly well, but I was in a Novarre Coast match with a bunch of other Republic PUGs that we managed to turn around from a pretty bad start.

Seeing as I tend not to trust other people to guard nodes, I headed east and set up to guard. Three other pubs came with me, and I mentioned that we didn't need four guards, but by the time they got the point, we were down 100%-70%. I asked the other two if they would guard and call incoming, so I could head south, and no response. Finally, one asked, "call incoming?" Not a great sign, but about that time they decided to head west. Another player complained about the group heading all the map again, and maybe it was the past two nights of "YOU GUYS ALL SUCK!" that I'd been reading in WZ chat, but I got tired of it and decided to give direction.

First, I pointed out that splitting our forces south and west would guarantee a loss. Then I asked everyone to zerg south. And you know what? Everyone listened! One guy came up to guard with me (I'm a lvl 15 sent, so rather squishy), but then headed west. I asked him to stop and head south, and he did. Eventually, we took south, and at 100% to 24%, we had two nodes. I asked everyone to forget west and hold south and east, called out incoming a few times after that (and each time, people came to help and we kept the node). At one point, the other team zerged east and one of the other players told everyone to "keep 2 south, everyone else east." And sure enough, we all did. The node was almost taken, but that's it; almost.

In the end, it was a marvel of cooperation and although I sucked (as I usually do), everyone worked together, as a team, and everyone listened to directions.

I know it's fashionable to bash noobs, tell everyone how much we all suck (and yeah, some of us definitely do), but we were all noobs once and we can actually get better. Screaming at everybody that they all suck and need to get better isn't going to do it, though.
You have any idea how rare that is? Nine times out of ten the pugs generally just ignore everyone and do their own thing. It's great when you get a group that does listen...but they usually do not. Hell most pugs still cannot get the most basic function down which is attack the damn player with the big *** mark over their head.

Arlanon
11.09.2013 , 04:48 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Raansu
You have any idea how rare that is? Nine times out of ten the pugs generally just ignore everyone and do their own thing. It's great when you get a group that does listen...but they usually do not. Hell most pugs still cannot get the most basic function down which is attack the damn player with the big *** mark over their head.
i tell them to pretend this is pve and attack the marked one

when i think it will help. it often doesn't