Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

Aurbere
10.25.2013 , 03:15 PM | #21
Beni, that post was... weird.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Beniboybling
10.25.2013 , 03:43 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Beni, that post was... weird.
And informative. Right? Right.

tunewalker
10.25.2013 , 03:49 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
And informative. Right? Right.
Pretty sure Ulic (Kun's apprentice) was the one that taught Vader the defense against Force Drain as such I would assume Kun knows how to defend himself against force drain.

sell-dog
10.25.2013 , 05:07 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post

Anyway, reasons. Yes, Exar Kun is a the third most powerful Sith Lord this galaxy has ever seen! Well, at least according to one of those lists made by that magnificent and awesome guy called... what's his name again? I forget..
I have two comments on this paragraph:

1. He's 6th most powerful Sith.

2. Oh and that magnificent and awesome guy you're referring to is actually #2 on the REAL Most Magnificient and Awesome Guy community list to someone named "sell-dog"
"What's the difference between hot and cold doughnuts?"
"The difference is: cold ones I can eat 8, hot ones I can eat 48!"

Beniboybling
10.25.2013 , 05:12 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post
I have two comments on this paragraph:

1. He's 6th most powerful Sith.

2. Oh and that magnificent and awesome guy you're referring to is actually #2 on the REAL Most Magnificient and Awesome Guy community list to someone named "sell-dog"
1. Bah! An error

2. ...can't remember his name but, nope that definitely wasn't it.

I assume everyone is suitable stunned by my arguments and we are ready to announce the winner?

LadyKulvax
10.25.2013 , 06:39 PM | #26
Kun has two advantages: Force Drain is a mainly Sorcery based technique and we have seen that many many times Sorcerers being able to defend against sorcery, Force Drain is not the winner here, why? Kun has intimate knowledge of a massive Force Drain technique he learnt through a ritual and it is stated outright that Kun had to learn how to stop him from consuming himself in the process of the ritual or he would accidentally allow the Dark Side to absorb him to.

Secondly if Ulic Qel-Droma was able to teach Anakin Skywalker how to defend against the technique, I see no reason to believe that Kun couldn't either.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

tunewalker
10.25.2013 , 07:11 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
Kun has two advantages: Force Drain is a mainly Sorcery based technique and we have seen that many many times Sorcerers being able to defend against sorcery, Force Drain is not the winner here, why? Kun has intimate knowledge of a massive Force Drain technique he learnt through a ritual and it is stated outright that Kun had to learn how to stop him from consuming himself in the process of the ritual or he would accidentally allow the Dark Side to absorb him to.

Secondly if Ulic Qel-Droma was able to teach Anakin Skywalker how to defend against the technique, I see no reason to believe that Kun couldn't either.
exactly what I thought .

Beniboybling
10.26.2013 , 04:53 AM | #28

Point, but that won't help him against dark transfer or shatterpoint which make for a dangerous combination. Shatterpoint gives him the ability to strike at the opportune moment i.e. when Kun exposes himself, and using dark transfer injury Kun - most likely seriously, which will very much hamper his battle effectiveness.

In terms of how the fight will pan out, it will most likely begin with a lightsaber duel and as I said before he can hold his own. Not only is he almost as powerful as Exar Kun but Ulic Qel-Droma, a lesser Force User and IMO a lesser duelist, was able to stalemate against a pre-prime Kun. The increase in Force Power and increase in lightsaber skill I'd say makes up for any improvements in Kun's ability. Which means that at least using a single blade Kun will likely stalemate against Krayt, now when Kun draws his second blade the battle will likely fall into Kun's favour, but only minorly. Giving Krayt ample opportunity to wear Kun down, leveling the playing field and ultimately weakening him to a point where he can overwhelm him through sheer Force Power.

At this point I expect Krayt will resort to Force waves and telekinetic barrages, capitalizing on Kun's momentary lapse after feeling the effects of dark transfer and further weakening him. The he can move in for the kill, overwhelming him with a vicious Jar'Kai/Ataru/Juyo onslaught.

Two other things to note:

1. I doubt Kun will be able to use the ability immediately, no evidence suggests that its some kind of passive ability present all the time, as such the first attack will have an effect, which will be all Krayt needs.

2. Kun's arrogance will lead him to underestimate his opponent, most notable he only seemed to draw his second blade when he felt it absolutely necessary, again this will just be giving Krayt more time attack him with dark transfer.

LadyKulvax
10.26.2013 , 05:40 AM | #29
Dark Transfer is block-able, it's literally a nastier version of Force Lightning, now Kun has blocked far worse than a gout of Force Lightning before, it is not something you can use without doubt.

Also Kun was more than happy to use both blades of his lightsaber and continued to do so after killing Baas, it was not a last resort.

It should also be noted that whilst Krayt has similar lightsaber forms under his command, Kun has full mastery and has a much much higher degree of mastery over Niman than Krayt does.

Krayt's real advantage is Shatterpoint.
I am the Battlemaster of the Jedi Order. I've struck you down once already. Today, I'm finishing the job.
Jedi Order

Beniboybling
10.26.2013 , 07:16 AM | #30
Dark Transfer is block-able, it's literally a nastier version of Force Lightning, now Kun has blocked far worse than a gout of Force Lightning before, it is not something you can use without doubt.

Also Kun was more than happy to use both blades of his lightsaber and continued to do so after killing Baas, it was not a last resort.

It should also be noted that whilst Krayt has similar lightsaber forms under his command, Kun has full mastery and has a much much higher degree of mastery over Niman than Krayt does.

Krayt's real advantage is Shatterpoint.
But that is exactly where Shatterpoint comes in, Kun can block it with his lightsaber but Krayt can attack at the place and at the time where and when Kun can't block.

Here for example Krayt has no trouble attacking Cade, despite Cade wielding a lightsaber.

And yes I accept Kun as a superior master over Niman, but they use the same strain - meaning Krayt won't be phased by the style, and Krayt himself is skilled enough to hold his own for enough time.

EDIT: Also take into account the fact that he could use Force Drain (before Kun use his technique) to phase him and then exploit that momentary opening with dark transfer. Or he could use a Force push/wave etc.