Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 16: Exar Kun vs. Darth Krayt

tunewalker
10.19.2013 , 12:50 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
So following Rayla's line of thinking, I believe that Krayt would be the first to use his Force abilities.
Yes but I do not believe he will be the first to use the one that he needs to. Kun will take the early lead with his saber skills and Krayt will then fall back on his force abilities specifically Force Lightning and to me this is where its going to screw him Kun will be able to block it and for his preference that's when he will use the Force Blast. I don't think the first force ability Krayt is going to use is going to be Dark Transfer as unless its some one he has a personal affection or vendetta he will rely on his more basic powers first.

LadyKulvax
10.19.2013 , 09:29 AM | #12
At the same time for Kun to have an effective chance of killing Krayt with one blast, he'd have to charge it up for some time and he would have to land it properly, at the same time, I think Krayt's Dark Transfer can be blocked with a lightsaber.
"The Dark Jedi are in many ways more dangerous than the Sith."
Republic Justice

Aurbere
10.19.2013 , 10:39 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by tunewalker View Post
Yes but I do not believe he will be the first to use the one that he needs to. Kun will take the early lead with his saber skills and Krayt will then fall back on his force abilities specifically Force Lightning and to me this is where its going to screw him Kun will be able to block it and for his preference that's when he will use the Force Blast. I don't think the first force ability Krayt is going to use is going to be Dark Transfer as unless its some one he has a personal affection or vendetta he will rely on his more basic powers first.
I agree. I'm not sure Krayt would use Dark Transfer right away.
Added Chapter 44 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

sell-dog
10.19.2013 , 10:01 PM | #14
I haven't had time to go to in-depth with this yet but I have a personal concern. It has been derived and agreed with the fact that Kun is more powerful and skilled than Krayt. What's the point of being more powerful than someone else if you can't defeat them in a fair battle?

Granted, unpredictable events/errors can happen. However, in the analysis and in the material itself it is clear that these guys weren't prone to making battle mistakes. For example Anakin in ROTS. Anakin is more powerful than Obi-Wan and probably wins a majority if they did the same battle over and over again. However, in ATOC Anakin makes some foolish mistakes so he is obviously prone to making foolish mistakes again. But this is not the case with Kun and Krayt.

I guess I'm beating around the bush to my leaning towards Kun but does anyone else see what I'm saying/ever think about it this way before?
"What's the difference between hot and cold doughnuts?"
"The difference is: cold ones I can eat 8, hot ones I can eat 48!"

tunewalker
10.20.2013 , 12:47 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post
I haven't had time to go to in-depth with this yet but I have a personal concern. It has been derived and agreed with the fact that Kun is more powerful and skilled than Krayt. What's the point of being more powerful than someone else if you can't defeat them in a fair battle?

Granted, unpredictable events/errors can happen. However, in the analysis and in the material itself it is clear that these guys weren't prone to making battle mistakes. For example Anakin in ROTS. Anakin is more powerful than Obi-Wan and probably wins a majority if they did the same battle over and over again. However, in ATOC Anakin makes some foolish mistakes so he is obviously prone to making foolish mistakes again. But this is not the case with Kun and Krayt.

I guess I'm beating around the bush to my leaning towards Kun but does anyone else see what I'm saying/ever think about it this way before?
kind of but the most powerful lists do not take into account stylistic differences or mentality. So they are not the sole way to determine a winner.

Aurbere
10.20.2013 , 06:11 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by sell-dog View Post

The lists don't take into account who would win in a duel. Obi-Wan vs. Darth Vader is a perfect example of how the superior fighter is not always going to come out on top.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere
10.21.2013 , 04:09 PM | #17
So I guess I'll get the ball rolling with an argument for Darth Krayt.

As previously mentioned Darth Krayt is far more likely to use his Force abilities in combat. I have no doubt that Exar Kun could win a straight up lightsaber duel, but few duels have ended up like that. Once Exar Kun's advantage in lightsaber skill starts to overwhelm Krayt, the One Sith leader will use his Force abilities. Darth Krayt has shown incredible raw power with the Force, thus I have little doubt that Krayt could seize the advantage in the duel through his more conventional Force abilities.

LadyKulvax
10.21.2013 , 04:14 PM | #18
I would agree, but the moment Krayt pulls out one of his Force Waves or Force Lightning blasts, Exar Kun is going to reply in turn, then I think Krayt is in trouble, because Kun's Force Waves have proven more powerful and even a lesser Force Blast is going to cause Krayt serious injury, he is not going to be given the breathing room to use his healing powers, because Kun never relents in a battle.
"The Dark Jedi are in many ways more dangerous than the Sith."
Republic Justice

Aurbere
10.21.2013 , 04:30 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
I would agree, but the moment Krayt pulls out one of his Force Waves or Force Lightning blasts, Exar Kun is going to reply in turn, then I think Krayt is in trouble, because Kun's Force Waves have proven more powerful and even a lesser Force Blast is going to cause Krayt serious injury, he is not going to be given the breathing room to use his healing powers, because Kun never relents in a battle.
Understood. However, I believe that it is possible for Krayt to seize the advantage, however long that may last, by using his Force abilities first. Of course I never said that Krayt's abilities would secure victory, just that they could give him an advantage.

Beniboybling
10.25.2013 , 02:54 PM | #20
Meh. - My honest reaction to this matchup.

Jking.

Well, kind of, to be frank I'm not sure who would win this, and I don't much care. I don't find these characters particularly interesting from an abiliites perspective, they just seem to be the 'awesome all-rounder' type which are dull dull dull dull dull. But that is no attitude for the BattleZone am I right?

I digress.

As for who would win this, I think we'll all agree that Exar Kun is a stronger Force user and a more skilled lightsaber duelists. But I think we'll all agree that such factors alone do not decide the outcome of such a conflict. Just you wait, Traya is going to be ***-whooping her way to the top of the pile come Round 2. Just you wait...

But I digress again, and I'm sure your all very eager to here my opinions on this. So I won't delay.

Krayt wins. Simple as. Now go home.

Oh wait... you wan't reasons? What's that? You aren't enjoying my stream-of-consciousness-style-writing? Well that's too bad, because I am, and I'm pretty bored right now. So just suck it up and keep reading.

Such fun.

Anyway, reasons. Yes, Exar Kun is a the third most powerful Sith Lightsaber Duelist this galaxy has ever seen! Well, at least according to one of those lists made by that magnificent and awesome guy called... what's his name again? I forget. Oh well. Back on topic. Krayt is no chump either. He is a highly skilled lightsaber duelists as well and on top of that is an expert practitioner of Niman, of what we can assume to be the Sith variant. The same variant used by Exar Kun. You know what that means? It means Krayt isn't going to be caught of guard by Kun's unorthodox style, which ain't that unorthodox anymore. Sure the unusual hilt will catch him off guard and the whole dual phase thingy. But the guys got two blades... surely that counts for something right? Right? On top of that Krayt has what opponents such as Vodo Siosk-Baas lacked. Immense wells of dark side energy. We are talking swimming pools here. We are talking about a Sith Lord more powerful than Darth Traya herself. Yes you heard me.

No it doesn't make him as or more powerful than Kun, but such wells of energy will make him faster and stronger than Baas, combine that with his mastery of Niman and Krayt will fare exponentially better than him against Kun.

So now we've established than Kun is going to eradicate Krayt in combat, but will be in for the long haul, lets move on to the real factor here, Force ability. Yes Kun is superior but once again Krayt trumps him with his fancy tricks.

Force drain, that ability that everyone seems to like to dumb down when it comes to Traya is going to make an explosion on this thread cause Krayt is so powerfuuuuulsss. Right? Right. The main advantage of this ability is that it levels the playing fields, Kun is simply not powerful enough to resist it completely, and his knowledge of the technique will not help him in countering it. Kun is slowly going to have his power whittled away while Krayt grows stronger and stronger, faster and faster etc. etc.

But it gets worse. S-H-A-T-T-E-R-P-O-I-N-T, that other ability everyone forgets that Traya has. This is absolutely deadly in lightsaber combat, a conflict that revolves around precision and all that jazz. I've been told that Krayt possesses various talents of bad@ssery in this field so I expect it will come into play, and painfully. Krayt can see all Kun's weaknesses, weaknesses in his lightsaber technique, weaknesses in his psyche, weaknesses in whatever purple get-up he's wearing today, heck even weaknesses in his footwork. But these aren't just weakenesses, they are S-H-A-T-T-E-R-P-O-I-N-T-S. Shatter. Like this. All Krayt has to do is exploit one of those shatterpoints and Kun falls apart.

But guess what? It gets gosh darn worse. That's right. Kun's going doooowwwn. All the way to monkey town. And he ain't coming back, not without bananas. And not the nice kind. Behold! Dark Transfer. Now I really don't know exactly what this ability is but is has something to do with shatterpoint, death, pain and general bad@ssery - and for that reason I'd expect that if Kun happens to be hit by such a blast he's going to be in for a world of pain. It likely won't kill him, but it will mess him up. Kun might be able to block it with his lightsaber, but it will certainly be an effective finishing move once Kun's defences are down. Which will happen when Krayt starts applying Force Drain and Shatterpoint.

Force blast? Force Drain. Force wave? Force Drain? All other powers? Force Drain.

Read all that? I'm impressed. Bye now.

TL;DR? What am I supposed to care? Please.