Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Confirmation of Windows 8.1 Issues

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Confirmation of Windows 8.1 Issues

Oengus
12.11.2013 , 12:23 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Now I'm not using the atrocity that is Windows 8/8, but here are some things you may wish to try:

I. Here are some step-by-step instructions to set your resolution manually before starting the game, hopefully it will help:

1. Make sure the game is not running.
2. Copy %LocalAppData%\SWTOR\swtor\settings and paste it into your Windows Explorer's address bar (i hope Windows 8.x still allows you to do that).
3. Open the file client_settings.ini with your favorite text editor (if the file doesn't exist, please create one manually and add the entries in step 4 yourself).
4. Make the following changes/additions to your client_settings.ini file and save them (the example is for the resolution of 1920x1080 aka Full HD/1080p. Replace 1920 with your monitor's native resolution width and 1080 with your native resolution's height respectively if that isn't your native resolution or it won't work):
Code:
[Renderer]
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
FullScreen = true
D3DFullScreen = true
I hope this will help.

II. In addition, make sure to download and install the latest Windows 8.1 compatible video card driver for your video card from nvidia.com (or amd.com if for those that have a Radeon video card). Do not use the one that's automatically installed by Windows or supplied by Windows Update as these tend to be stripped down versions of drivers that can create problems with games.

Thank you Gizmo! I had a boot failure the other day while still using WinXP and couldn't recover, so instead of reinstalling XP for the umpteenth time I decided to go for Win 8.1. My SWTOR had the same issue as the other folks in this thread once 8.1 was installed, albeit with a Radeon HD4870, and saw your post. Fixed the issue for me!

Djspinister
01.08.2014 , 08:03 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Now I'm not using the atrocity that is Windows 8/8, but here are some things you may wish to try:

I. Here are some step-by-step instructions to set your resolution manually before starting the game, hopefully it will help:

1. Make sure the game is not running.
2. Copy %LocalAppData%\SWTOR\swtor\settings and paste it into your Windows Explorer's address bar (i hope Windows 8.x still allows you to do that).
3. Open the file client_settings.ini with your favorite text editor (if the file doesn't exist, please create one manually and add the entries in step 4 yourself).
4. Make the following changes/additions to your client_settings.ini file and save them (the example is for the resolution of 1920x1080 aka Full HD/1080p. Replace 1920 with your monitor's native resolution width and 1080 with your native resolution's height respectively if that isn't your native resolution or it won't work):
Code:
[Renderer]
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
FullScreen = true
D3DFullScreen = true
I hope this will help.

II. In addition, make sure to download and install the latest Windows 8.1 compatible video card driver for your video card from nvidia.com (or amd.com if for those that have a Radeon video card). Do not use the one that's automatically installed by Windows or supplied by Windows Update as these tend to be stripped down versions of drivers that can create problems with games.
2 things

- Why isn't this a sticky? I mean seriously, took me 4 reinstalls (complete downloads and re-installed) and a few hours on Google to find this thread, and not to mention the title of the thread is incorrect, so much harder to find.

- The default settings were at such a low resolution it shouldn't have even been set that low. I believe it was really odd like 128 x 364 or something stupid, which I don't even think a Commodore 64 could use. This is ABSOLUTELY an INSTALLER issue!!! It wouldn't be hard to make a script to fix this issue, in fact it would probably take longer to type the script out then it would be to figure it out. This is completely unacceptable! Why might you say this? Because this thread is from October, and is still not fixed! Completely ignoring an issue that many people seem to be having is absolutely unacceptable and I genuinely hope someone gets demoted for it!

PS: I am a big Windows 7 fan, I really liked how they finally got something right that was better than XP. With that being said, saying that Windows 8 is an "atrocity" makes you seem very uneducated on the matter. The kernel alone in Windows 8 annihilates the Windows 7 kernel. If you want speed, you install Windows 8. Don't get me wrong, the Metro ******** is pretty annoying, but there are a lot of workarounds for that now. So you can make it behave exactly like 7. Windows 7 is a very good OS, but after using Windows 8 for almost 2 years now I have to say that it is significantly faster!

here in case you had your doubts: http://bit.ly/1dfDtbm

You can say I'm angry, but when I pay for a product I expect said product to work as described. The end consumer shouldn't have to be editing confg files, we pay you to do that!!!

OwenBrooks
01.08.2014 , 08:11 AM | #13
No need to edit in 99% of cases, simpler use ALT + Enter on the small screen to switch to window mode (will appear normal then) then set in-game resolution.

128 x 364 only appears with win 8

Djspinister
01.08.2014 , 08:14 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
No need to edit in 99% of cases, simpler use ALT + Enter on the small screen to switch to window mode (will appear normal then) then set in-game resolution.

This does not work. This only worked after I changed the resolution manually.

OwenBrooks
01.08.2014 , 08:17 AM | #15
So you where the 1% http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=711605 it also means the EDID data from your monitor is wrong

Djspinister
01.08.2014 , 08:26 AM | #16
So you where the 1% http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=711605 it also means the EDID data from your monitor is wrong
Ok so you are saying out of the 100+ games I have on my computer that don't have this issue that this is because of my monitor? Just stop dude. Fix the fukkin issue and quit blaming people's equipment for it because that IS NOT the problem!

OwenBrooks
01.08.2014 , 08:30 AM | #17
Well aren't you the polite one

This game reads the EDID data delivered by the monitor, it stuffs up when the data is delivered incorrect - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=100907

Djspinister
01.08.2014 , 08:37 AM | #18
Well aren't you the polite one

This game reads the EDID data delivered by the monitor, it stuffs up when the data is incorrect - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=100907
I have NEVER had this problem before and have had my monitors for over a year. You are wrong. And no, I'm not really polite when you want to tell me its on my end and it isn't. This is an installer issue and is a simple one at that.

Also, if that link is correct then it needs to be implemented in the installer somehow. According to you not only should we need to edit config files we should be editing our registry as well. LOL

I really don't remember seeing "Must recode Windows to make this game work" on the box, but maybe I missed it somewhere.

Pretty soon Customer service will be an urban legend.

OwenBrooks
01.08.2014 , 08:42 AM | #19
Strange it fixes peoples issues or didn't you read the threads that was linked, still you can carry on believing what ever you like, having the link now in this thread may help someone else in the future, may not be you.

That is more important then tossing salad with you in a forum

Edit - I agree they should just be reading current resolution and not looking at the EDID data like most other programs but it does, but it isn't BW fault it is wrong, it isn't meant to be.

Djspinister
01.08.2014 , 08:54 AM | #20
Strange it fixes peoples issues or didn't you read the threads that was linked, still you can carry on believing what ever you like, having the link now in this thread may help someone else in the future, may not be you.

That is more important then tossing salad with you in a forum

Edit - I agree they should just be reading current resolution and not looking at the EDID data like most other programs but it does, but it isn't BW fault it is wrong, it isn't meant to be.
I understand that it may fix people's issues, I'm not saying it doesn't work, what I am saying is since there is a fix and someone that isn't on BW's payroll figured it out, it should damn well be implemented. This should have been fixed as soon as it was found and it still hasn't been.

I run my own business, if a customer has a problem and I find it to be the fault of me or my employees, then I fix the problem and make it right with the consumer, I don't expect them to get on the roof and fix the problem themselves.

As such I don't expect to have to adjust registry and config files, or if I do then why isn't this game free, and by free I mean COMPLETELY free.