Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Let Bounty Hunters and Troopers use pistols AND rifles!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Let Bounty Hunters and Troopers use pistols AND rifles!

benovide
10.26.2013 , 12:50 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Elyx View Post
Actually the only class that really uses its weapon for stats only is the sage/sorc. all others have skill damage based on weapon damage. if you switch out your weapon for a lvl 1 green its quite easy to see. and some are more dependent on it then others...a guard/jugg is very dependent on weapon damage as an example.

On the subject, I'd love to see more flexibility. The first time I saw the cannon and fell in love with it i though to myself, "that is a cool tank class!" I was quite disappointed to find out that the healer got the cannon! I assumed that such a massive weapon was for the tanky class...I would prob roll a vanguard if i could use the cannon.
couldn't be more false.

Weapon Level is what you're speaking of, not weapon damage.

Weapon Damage is predetermined by the class. It's why the offhand weapon does not do the same damage the mainhand weapon has, despite being the exact same weapon.

Toss a cannon on a commando same level, then toss on a blaster rifle, the difference is so small you literally cannot even notice it. I started using a Blaster Rifle for my Commando, and I truly cannot see any difference what so ever in the damage I am producing.

Compare a Vanguard with a blaster rifle to a Powertech with a Pistol.

Compare an Operative with a Blaster Rifle to a Scoundrel with a pistol.

Damage of weapons are based on the class they are given to, nothing else.

benovide
10.26.2013 , 12:54 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ecaja View Post
I would love to use a Blaster with my Agent. When i am running around knifing people, it always seems to unwieldy to use a rifle, even if i started to think more of it as Shotgun.

Likewise, if Mercs would get a Rifle, i probably would have picked Merc instead of Powertech.

As for lightsabers.. i'd kill for a single blade lightsaber that counts as doubleblade, so i can be a singlebladed Shadow without gimping myself.
My Shadow has no issues, none noticable anyways, in using a single over a double saber.

Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyOldMystic View Post
Agreed my point is that it would take a great deal of development to pull this off. Its not as simple as swg where you had one talent tree for all Force users.
The fact you said this, tells me you have no idea how games are programed.

It would take less than an hour to make the modifcations that are pre existing.

All they need to do is copy and paste code between the classes, take classes that would get any buffs from it, put negatives and decrease class weapon value for that weapon when it's equipped, and TADA!

They already have mods out for single player modded versions of this game that allow you to be a Commando with a double bladed Light Saber. If some dude living in his basement can create versions of the game modified like that with minimal effort, I'm sure as hell BW can do the same.

Hell, there mods of the game single player based that have Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine outfits, Naboo Soldiers, even combat mounts that open fire on NPCs.

You're lucky if devs even spend 30 mins to make the patches we get.

Creslan
11.01.2013 , 01:12 AM | #23
Incorrect. DPS is tied to the weapon. A commando with an assault cannon will do more damage than the commando with the rifle, all things being equal (skill, level, gear so on.) Certain skills in Advanced Classes are also tied to 'class specific' weapons. Even though most classes can use 1-2 different weapons, their primary weapon should always be their "Iconic" weapon of that class. While knights can use Virboswords, they do less damage than sabers, and so on.

Even though the Commando's assault cannon does more damage than a Merc's pistol, they do roughly the same dps do to the merc's off hand and how they are designed, same goes with Gunslingers and Snipers.

Vanguards and Powertechs differ here. A pistol has a wider range damage than the Rifle. So the pistol user may hit harder at times, the rifle user will still be within the same dps due to the tighter damage range of their rifle.

A shadow using a single saber will do less damage than a shadow using a double saber, not to mention some skills are not available to the shadow only using the single saber.

Hence the argument for ADAPTIVE weapons. Like adaptive armor, the adaptive weapon would set it's dps to your Iconic Class weapon. I haven't thought about how they will handle dual wielders, but I'm sure Bioware could come up with something accommodating.

benovide
11.01.2013 , 06:34 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Creslan View Post
Incorrect. DPS is tied to the weapon. A commando with an assault cannon will do more damage than the commando with the rifle, all things being equal (skill, level, gear so on.) Certain skills in Advanced Classes are also tied to 'class specific' weapons. Even though most classes can use 1-2 different weapons, their primary weapon should always be their "Iconic" weapon of that class. While knights can use Virboswords, they do less damage than sabers, and so on.

Even though the Commando's assault cannon does more damage than a Merc's pistol, they do roughly the same dps do to the merc's off hand and how they are designed, same goes with Gunslingers and Snipers.

Vanguards and Powertechs differ here. A pistol has a wider range damage than the Rifle. So the pistol user may hit harder at times, the rifle user will still be within the same dps due to the tighter damage range of their rifle.

A shadow using a single saber will do less damage than a shadow using a double saber, not to mention some skills are not available to the shadow only using the single saber.

Hence the argument for ADAPTIVE weapons. Like adaptive armor, the adaptive weapon would set it's dps to your Iconic Class weapon. I haven't thought about how they will handle dual wielders, but I'm sure Bioware could come up with something accommodating.
My Cathar Honor Sword vs Ancient LIght Saber Begs to differ

My Cathar Saber Staff vs my Primordial Dual Saber begs to differ.

The damage difference between same mod dual saber vs same mod single saber, is 5%

And BTW, my Marauders stats with same modded Cathar Honor Swords were identical to with same modded Primordial Sabers.

Cathar Saberstaff is identical to my primordial dual saber.

The difference between blaster pistol, and blaster rifle is less than 5%.

The difference between Cannon and rifle, is less than 5%.

Two blaster pistols do not do equal damage. the offhand weapon is a fraction of the damage the main hand weapon does.

They already have NPC Warriors on Taris for example equipped with dual sabers. They already have NPC Knights on Belsavis that can go between single bladed and dual bladed sabers. They already have NPCs that can rotate between ranged and non-ranged weapons.

SPend time actually paying attention to the game and the weapons in it.

benovide
11.01.2013 , 07:16 PM | #25
Assailent dual saber has 31-46 base damage before buffs
Assailent Saber has 26-38 damage before buffs

Dual Wield gives 30% bonus to overall damage. Total damage for Marauder wielding two light sabers deals
60-71 damage at level 10

Assassin deals 60-71 damage at level 10 with dualsaber staff

Cathar War Staff deals 60-71 damage for the Assassin.

Commando wielding Blaster Rifle, level 30
No mods

Mantellian Peacemaker
Weapon Damage 63-75

Correllian Bunker Buster
64-87

Per hit, hit for hit, in DPS, that isn't even enough to justify the use of one over another via investments.

Commando Level 11
Correllian Bunker Buster
41-61
10.3 damage bonus

Mantellian Peace Maker
35-56
10.3 damage bonus

level 11 Mercenary
Single pistol
41-61 damage
Secondary pistol damage
7-13

Sniper 23
Unmodded weapons
Mantellian Peacemaker
105-117

Tarisian Head Hunter
114-121

No segnificant boost in damage between either weapons.

yerbigpops
11.16.2013 , 11:40 PM | #26
I have been pushing this idea from the very beginning, since early access of this game. I just recently came back to the game after a break, and am sad to see it hasn't been addressed (however I am happy with a lot of new things they have implemented).

I'd love to see some reasonable weapon choice freedom.

Let BH use rifles (and other classes use some different weps). There IS a way. You are already on the right track with customization options expanding (dyes, mods, etc). Include weapons in this system.

DAWUSS
11.21.2013 , 09:47 AM | #27
And let it also apply to companions!

Zoom_VI
11.21.2013 , 10:07 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Saregon View Post
I would love to just be able to use a rifle on my commando without being penalized or ridiculed by my peers.

I like the playstyle WAY better than vanguard, but hate the required weapon type!
You can totally do gunnery with it, I did 2600 dps in 72s with a blaster rifle on a 20 minute parse. Blue augments.

But I don't agree with opening up weapon types, They designed each class to have a different visual theme that fits with the classes lore.
Crinn
Trooper Hunter

Vanguard | Commando | Powertech | Mercenary
Quote: Originally Posted by Aves
Everything is fine, calm your Crinns

yerbigpops
11.21.2013 , 02:38 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Zoom_VI View Post
You can totally do gunnery with it, I did 2600 dps in 72s with a blaster rifle on a 20 minute parse. Blue augments.

But I don't agree with opening up weapon types, They designed each class to have a different visual theme that fits with the classes lore.
How does strictly a pistol fit with bounty hunter lore? And visual themes were done away with when orange gear and modifications came into play.

jkuhl
11.23.2013 , 11:02 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Saregon View Post
I would love to just be able to use a rifle on my commando without being penalized or ridiculed by my peers.

I like the playstyle WAY better than vanguard, but hate the required weapon type!
I might consider a commando if I could use a rifle. I can't stand the way autocannons look.
Suzetta - Sith Marauder / Avaeris - Jedi Sentinel
Rae'vi - Sith Sorcerer / Esthene - Jedi Shadow
Tim'zahn - Sniper / Amaelya - Scoundrel
Kas'mi - Mercenary / Ismarae - Vanguard