Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Let Bounty Hunters and Troopers use pistols AND rifles!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Let Bounty Hunters and Troopers use pistols AND rifles!

benovide's Avatar


benovide
10.08.2013 , 02:36 AM | #1
After almost 3 years playing this game, and finally leveling up my first troopers (vanguard, and a commando). in many cutscenes trooper pulls out a blaster pistol. And in many cutscenes leveling all three of my Bounty Hunters (my second Mercenary is now level 48) pull out a blaster rifle.

Why not allow the classes to equip either one of them?

If a Mercenary equips a blaster rifle, he forfeits abilites such as bombardments, etc. and his second pistol.

If a trooper equips a pistol or pistols, he forfeits his mortar strike ability, and other abilities that were weapon related.

For RP purposes It would fit perfectly.

I'm also a strong believer that the Mercenary, should absolutely be allowed to carry a cannon as well.

This will open up a huge group of player options, increase stability for the GTN, and greatly revamp gameplay in the classes.

What do you all think?

Deamon_Samurai's Avatar


Deamon_Samurai
10.09.2013 , 12:01 PM | #2
Why not let gunslingers use sniper rifles,or snipers use pistols, and mara/sents use double bladed light sabers? Let the diversity begin, let us choose our weapons of choice.

CommanderKeeva's Avatar


CommanderKeeva
10.10.2013 , 01:34 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Deamon_Samurai View Post
Why not let gunslingers use sniper rifles,or snipers use pistols, and mara/sents use double bladed light sabers? Let the diversity begin, let us choose our weapons of choice.
I'm all for diversity but they're not going to allow everyone to use everything for two reasons. One is balance. Certain weapons deal more damage than others. For example if a Vanguard or Powertech were to use an Assault Cannon or Sniper Rifle, his damage would suddenly go up because the base damage of each weapon type is different. If a Jedi Guardian were to equip a double-bladed saber, his damage would skyrocket suddenly. The only way to get around this is to have weapons that look like something but function as something else. For example, a sniper rifle for Vanguards that functions as a blaster rifle or a pistol for Commandos that functions as an assault cannon. It's a very complicated thing to do and unlikely that Bioware will even think about it. Not to mention some animations are only compatible with some weapons. A pistol, for example, cannot shoot a Mortar Volley.

The second one is that most people use weapons to recognize opponents in PvP. With such a wide selection of clothing available from the Cartel Market, you cannot rely on armor any longer. A Knight could be wearing Trooper-looking or Consular-looking or Smuggler-looking armor, the only way to indentify him as a Knight is to look at his single-bladed lightsaber. But if a Knight were to use, say Relnex's armor and use a double-bladed lightsaber, he would look like the archetypical shadow and would create a lot of confusion among the players. We need a way to reliably identify opponents!

EDIT: What they could do, however, is to enable certain ACs to use the weapons of their mirror ACs. Aside from animation issues, there's no reason a Gunslinger couldn't fire a sniper rifle or vice versa. Or a Commando to use two pistols and the Mercenary to use a cannon.
BEING A GOOD SOLDIER COMES DOWN TO ONE THING, ONE SINGLE QUESTION:
WHAT ARE YOU PREPARED TO SACRIFICE?

benovide's Avatar


benovide
10.11.2013 , 01:05 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by CommanderKeeva View Post
I'm all for diversity but they're not going to allow everyone to use everything for two reasons. One is balance. Certain weapons deal more damage than others. For example if a Vanguard or Powertech were to use an Assault Cannon or Sniper Rifle, his damage would suddenly go up because the base damage of each weapon type is different. If a Jedi Guardian were to equip a double-bladed saber, his damage would skyrocket suddenly. The only way to get around this is to have weapons that look like something but function as something else. For example, a sniper rifle for Vanguards that functions as a blaster rifle or a pistol for Commandos that functions as an assault cannon. It's a very complicated thing to do and unlikely that Bioware will even think about it. Not to mention some animations are only compatible with some weapons. A pistol, for example, cannot shoot a Mortar Volley.

The second one is that most people use weapons to recognize opponents in PvP. With such a wide selection of clothing available from the Cartel Market, you cannot rely on armor any longer. A Knight could be wearing Trooper-looking or Consular-looking or Smuggler-looking armor, the only way to indentify him as a Knight is to look at his single-bladed lightsaber. But if a Knight were to use, say Relnex's armor and use a double-bladed lightsaber, he would look like the archetypical shadow and would create a lot of confusion among the players. We need a way to reliably identify opponents!

EDIT: What they could do, however, is to enable certain ACs to use the weapons of their mirror ACs. Aside from animation issues, there's no reason a Gunslinger couldn't fire a sniper rifle or vice versa. Or a Commando to use two pistols and the Mercenary to use a cannon.


The guns never have any effect on DPS. Damage is preestablished per toon. Sniper rifles cannons and blaster rifles have the same stats as blaster pistols. Its why the gunslinger uses pistols. What deals the damage are the class abilities. Not the actual weapons they use.

JLazarillo's Avatar


JLazarillo
10.13.2013 , 03:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by benovide View Post
The guns never have any effect on DPS. Damage is preestablished per toon. Sniper rifles cannons and blaster rifles have the same stats as blaster pistols. Its why the gunslinger uses pistols. What deals the damage are the class abilities. Not the actual weapons they use.
Actually, Sniper Rifles and Assault Cannons do more basic damage than Blaster Pistols or Blaster Rifles. That's why the Sniper and Commando's mirror classes get to dual-wield. In theory the extra damage from the offhand weapon evens things out in the long run.

That said, Pistols and Rifles are still effectively identical, so in terms of mechanical effectiveness there's not necessarily any reason the pistol and rifle-specific ACs (PTs, Vanguards, Ops, and Scoundrels) couldn't use the weapons interchangeably, in theory, and certainly, I'd probably prefer to play an Operative with a regular pistol myself. However, it's probably still not too feasible since they'd have to modify at least a few attack animations to compensate for the wider variety, and BW probably wouldn't see it as very cost effective.

TheSupaCoopa's Avatar


TheSupaCoopa
10.13.2013 , 09:11 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JLazarillo View Post
Actually, Sniper Rifles and Assault Cannons do more basic damage than Blaster Pistols or Blaster Rifles. That's why the Sniper and Commando's mirror classes get to dual-wield. In theory the extra damage from the offhand weapon evens things out in the long run.

That said, Pistols and Rifles are still effectively identical, so in terms of mechanical effectiveness there's not necessarily any reason the pistol and rifle-specific ACs (PTs, Vanguards, Ops, and Scoundrels) couldn't use the weapons interchangeably, in theory, and certainly, I'd probably prefer to play an Operative with a regular pistol myself. However, it's probably still not too feasible since they'd have to modify at least a few attack animations to compensate for the wider variety, and BW probably wouldn't see it as very cost effective.
Then couldn't they switch some of the animations? Maybe change some along the way (ex: mortar volley takes out a grenade launcher or calls down a mortar strike instead of firing from the gun)? For example, a commando with dual wield pistols would use unload or tracer missle, while a merc with a cannon would use full-auto and grav round, or an operative would use the scoundrel version of cull(forgot what its called) and a smug with a rifle would use cull.
The Valiance Legacy, Begeren Colony
"I don't get paid to do the easy jobs, ma'am."- Republic Trooper
Current 50's and 55's

vPLethality AmillarArturon

Anysao's Avatar


Anysao
10.14.2013 , 09:53 AM | #7
There is one major problem with this, unfortunately: end game token drops. If this update is created, then agents and bounty hunters would have to compete for rifle drops.
Ooh! In WildStar, I get double jumps, path choices, and massive PvP!That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?

I will never take someone who says "EAware" seriously.

Xienive's Avatar


Xienive
10.15.2013 , 08:14 PM | #8
I have always wanted every Jedi to be able to use any lightsaber style and every non jedi to be able to use any blaster style. All they would have to do is make damage to weapons even all across the board and make the current values you have for damage tied to your class that way balance isn't affected, just appearance. Of course they might have to create a couple of new animations, but it would be well worth it for more customization. Especially in the world of Star Wars were different weapon types are diversified everywhere.

I don't know any other games where characters are restricted to just one kind of weapon forever, and being able to switch things up would be quite nice. Although some animations that are already in game would work great. For instance the double bladed saber twirl that's a channeled ability that some NPC's have would work perfect for Master Strike on a Knight that chose to use a double bladed. Then you have moves like Retaliate that's just a stab that would work fine for Maul if an Assassin decided to use a single blade.

As far as identifying opponents in PVP, it really isn't that big of a deal. If it is to you then turn on the little class symbol thingies or just read under their name. All I really do is PVP and I wouldn't have any problems with this. I mean if I see a guy running around shooting flames everywhere with a rifle I'm not going to think it's a sniper
No disintegrations!
As you wish...

Kelleth's Avatar


Kelleth
10.18.2013 , 06:17 PM | #9
There has been shouts for this for as long as I can remember... I doubt we will see it, but that does not mean I don't want it, because I do!
I am a none-violent person, until I see a spider, then I turn into Al Capone, and I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! And I want his house BURNED TO THE GROUND!

Saregon's Avatar


Saregon
10.18.2013 , 06:46 PM | #10
I would love to just be able to use a rifle on my commando without being penalized or ridiculed by my peers.

I like the playstyle WAY better than vanguard, but hate the required weapon type!
55 Shadow | 55 Sage | 55 Guardian | 55 Gunslinger | 55 Scoundrel
55 Sorcerer | 55 Marauder | 55 Assassin | 55 Mercenary | 55 Sniper | 55 Operative | 55 Juggernaut

N e v e r . F o r g e t