Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Crafting for profit, crafting skills that generate income based on "market"

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Crafting for profit, crafting skills that generate income based on "market"

psandak's Avatar


psandak
12.10.2013 , 09:13 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by XDrcaul View Post
I hate undercutting, I'm a seller and a buyer. I purposely will still buy an item listed as 100k vs someone trying to be a smart ***** and list there's for 9999.00. I skip those all the time and still purchase the one listed for 100k, like 1 credit is really going to make it or break it people? it's like 2 competing gas stations listing regular unleaded for 369.99 then you have the other across the street for 367.99?????? really... ah OK thank for saving me a whole 2 cents. I laugh at the folks that do it all the time.
Most sellers know that players like you exist, but I am afraid that you are in the miniscule minority. Why? Ever hear the phrase, "every little bit helps"?

I'm just the opposite when I buy. I set a maximum credits (per unit) I will spend and not spend one credit more. If my limit is 100k I will pay the 99999, because that is one more credit in my pocket.

So I pose this question: how much savings is too little for you? Would you pass up a 95k on that 100k item "on principle"? How about 90k?
Probability 101
The Harbinger, Ortzid Legacy
Dalkery - Sawbones, Car'beerd - Jedi Guardian,
Blairnah - Jedi Sage, Ulunnes - Commando

Kerensk's Avatar


Kerensk
12.11.2013 , 03:20 PM | #72
You don't lose any money by posting and not getting a sale. The trick with being undercut is patience.

If you know the market well and you know the 85k is an abnormal low just keep posting your gear at the normal average price. If it doesn't sell it goes back in your pocket to be sold the next day. Worst case nothing sells for a while, and yo build stock till the market comes back. Best case the market undercuts itself so far you can buy out the bottom and resell when it comes back.

Once I went 2 weeks in a weak market buying earpieces at 2k. It took me a month to offload the huge stock I bought but I never sold for less than 16k once the market came back, and some as much as 30k. All that profit with no materials overhead or missions ran, just the patience to sell at a reasonable price and take weeks to sell it off.

At that point I wasn't a crafter, I was an investor. Patience turned my 200k investment into a multi million dollar payoff. All in the sub-50 blue market.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”

Marius_Xerxes's Avatar


Marius_Xerxes
12.12.2013 , 06:46 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Kerensk View Post
You don't lose any money by posting and not getting a sale. The trick with being undercut is patience.

If you know the market well and you know the 85k is an abnormal low just keep posting your gear at the normal average price. If it doesn't sell it goes back in your pocket to be sold the next day. Worst case nothing sells for a while, and yo build stock till the market comes back. Best case the market undercuts itself so far you can buy out the bottom and resell when it comes back.

Once I went 2 weeks in a weak market buying earpieces at 2k. It took me a month to offload the huge stock I bought but I never sold for less than 16k once the market came back, and some as much as 30k. All that profit with no materials overhead or missions ran, just the patience to sell at a reasonable price and take weeks to sell it off.

At that point I wasn't a crafter, I was an investor. Patience turned my 200k investment into a multi million dollar payoff. All in the sub-50 blue market.
Pretty much this. The market wont stay low forever. People will either leave due to little profit, or stay and raise their price so they can actually make some decent profit.

Fabuluz's Avatar


Fabuluz
12.13.2013 , 07:41 AM | #74
Ok , consider this a very noob type of question. What the heck is a Mytag?

Overall, I found the info in this very good . Thank you. And if you have to bash me, go ahead. I can take it.

Fab

DarthBurton's Avatar


DarthBurton
12.13.2013 , 08:03 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by Fabuluz View Post
Ok , consider this a very noob type of question. What the heck is a Mytag?

Overall, I found the info in this very good . Thank you. And if you have to bash me, go ahead. I can take it.

Fab
A Mytag-crystal is an epic crafting material from treasure hunting and required for crafting certain items, for epic Enhancements 28 (Level 53) for example.
Kinara - Sage Lv. 55 - Mídori - Sorcerer Lv. 55 - Dárya - Sage Lv. 55
Kíeran - Sentinel Lv. 55 - Sául - Juggernaut Lv. 49 - Natálya - Guardian Lv. 50
Ayaná - Vanguard Lv. 55 - Murdoҫk - Commando Lv. 51
Nakajima - Scoundrel Lv. 55 - Caitlín - Shadow Lv. 55

psandak's Avatar


psandak
12.13.2013 , 10:48 AM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Marius_Xerxes View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by Kerensk View Post
You don't lose any money by posting and not getting a sale. The trick with being undercut is patience.

If you know the market well and you know the 85k is an abnormal low just keep posting your gear at the normal average price. If it doesn't sell it goes back in your pocket to be sold the next day. Worst case nothing sells for a while, and yo build stock till the market comes back. Best case the market undercuts itself so far you can buy out the bottom and resell when it comes back.

Once I went 2 weeks in a weak market buying earpieces at 2k. It took me a month to offload the huge stock I bought but I never sold for less than 16k once the market came back, and some as much as 30k. All that profit with no materials overhead or missions ran, just the patience to sell at a reasonable price and take weeks to sell it off.

At that point I wasn't a crafter, I was an investor. Patience turned my 200k investment into a multi million dollar payoff. All in the sub-50 blue market.
Pretty much this. The market wont stay low forever. People will either leave due to little profit, or stay and raise their price so they can actually make some decent profit.
I agree and disagree.

I agree that GTM pricing on everything fluctuates and that when pricing is low one should not panic...the value will rebound eventually. Personally, I simply step out of that market for a while because I have 20 more markets to make up for the temporary loss of one.

But I disagree that one should never consider altering one personal pricing structure ("post at 100k and it will eventually sell"). I would rather know I will sell ten of something everyday for a small profit than hope to sell one or two of something at a larger profit.
Probability 101
The Harbinger, Ortzid Legacy
Dalkery - Sawbones, Car'beerd - Jedi Guardian,
Blairnah - Jedi Sage, Ulunnes - Commando

Marius_Xerxes's Avatar


Marius_Xerxes
12.13.2013 , 04:48 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
But I disagree that one should never consider altering one personal pricing structure ("post at 100k and it will eventually sell"). I would rather know I will sell ten of something everyday for a small profit than hope to sell one or two of something at a larger profit.
Depends on the profit and overall volume of sales of a given item. If the smaller more frequent sales don't add up to the larger less frequent ones over a time frame acceptable to the seller, then its just fine to continue to post at whatever prices set for oneself.

Not to mention that somethings, like main stat augs and mk-9 kits, sell so fast you can often set the price as "normal" and come back to everything listed sold before other sellers get new stock re posted.

Really just depends on the various servers market. 99% of my experience is from The Bastion. Ive started to become more active with toons I have on The Harbinger and the GTN operates much differently there. Not just in prices of particular items, but trends as well.

Overall all we can do is speak of our experiences and hope it helps those who browse here find the pulse of their server and make a niche for themselves.

dancezwithnubz's Avatar


dancezwithnubz
12.15.2013 , 07:10 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Marius_Xerxes View Post
Not to mention that somethings, like main stat augs and mk-9 kits, sell so fast you can often set the price as "normal" and come back to everything listed sold before other sellers get new stock re posted.
yuh, the MK-9 kit market on Harbinger moves like lightning with an apparent hard floor price of ~60k'ish. If i need creds, I'll sell at 65k and they move fast. if i'm OK for creds and want to squeeze some extra profit, i do a 2day listing at 90k and they, usually, sell. I see people listing them at 150k and have to wonder, with so many sellers, does the market ever get that shallow?