Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Biotech

Firechap
10.04.2013 , 04:49 PM | #1
Is there a possibility that Biotech won't need 3 skills to utilize in the future? I don't think that this is the same for other crew skills. Kinda new on really using the skills and biotech has saved my bacon with the stims and med kits. But needing 3 skills kinda shuts out the opportunity for variety on one toon. I've heard about using gtn for the fill in parts as well as using diplomacy. Just seems we should be able to get the parts from a crew skill vendor. Not venting, just processing. Any Ideas?

Mmurph
10.05.2013 , 06:06 AM | #2
All the crew skills require 2 additional skills. One gathering for the base materials then one of the four other skills (Treasure Hunting, Underworld Trading, Diplomacy, Investigation) for materials for advanced schematics. You can forgo the last set and go with another gathering skill and get the advanced mats of the GTN, but I wouldn't drop the gathering skill. Also, at higher levels you will need additional mats that you can get from crew skill vendors or run missions for (I think the latter is usually less expensive).

Gloomycakes
10.05.2013 , 07:18 AM | #3
It's more or less on purpose that you can only utilize 1 crafting skill. It movitvates the economy if not everyone is completely selfsufficient. Biochem is to be fairly honest an extreme, the mission and gathering skill are solely for Biochem, but as a pro you get all the reuseable medpacs, stims and adrenals which are simply awesome for PvE. I've not got a lot of MMO experience but it seems most MMO's work like that or atleast make it the most efficient to not swap between crewskills (what-ever their name is in other games) but utilize different characters.

The other crewskills generally overlap a little. If you decide to make more characters you'll cover all crewskills within no time, more or less exactly what Bioware wants. If you don't, you'll become and active part of the GTN (or ask friends/guildies) and thus helping the economy, winwin for the games design.