Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So...Draxus

Askesis
10.02.2013 , 03:26 AM | #1
Anyone else think this guy is going to be the new Firebrand and Stormcaller?

I can't count how many times today that I saw "LFxM Tank/Heal/DPS Dread Fortress at second boss" on Oricon. For my own personal experience, I went in with most of my regular raid group (we clear some nightmare TFB and SnV). and we had a little bit of trouble with it. One of our guild's other raid groups (who has cleared more nightmare than our group has) also had similar trouble. This was on SM, mind you.

We raid on Wednesday, and we're jumping right into HM, but we wanted to get a feel for the Op today in SM just to get an idea of what we were in for. We expected to just roll over the place (and we did, aside from Draxus and Brontes), but this guy humbled us a little bit. Granted, one of the two pugs we had was wearing 63 gear --63 PvP gear, at that-- and wasn't in mumble to communicate with the rest of us, so I'm sure that set things back a little bit, but I don't think he was the main cause of the problems.

Personally, I enjoyed the challenge, but he seemed overtuned for SM compared to the rest of the operation. With the exception of Brontes, you could literally just ignore almost every other mechanic from the rest of the bosses. Perhaps Draxus himself isn't really overtuned, but maybe it's that the first, third, and fourth bosses are undertuned. I would have really liked those other guys to present some sort of a challenge.

On a side note, Brontes was a really fun fight to learn. We went in with absolutely zero knowledge of what mechanics to expect. It's been a while since I've learned a boss encounter that way, and I forgot how much fun it could be. The fight itself wasn't difficult; it was just figuring out the mechanics. I give that encounter an A, with the only downside being the underwhelming final phase, in my opinion. But hey, it's story mode.

What are you guys' thoughts?

AAAAzrael
10.02.2013 , 04:44 AM | #2
2nd and last boss are buggy as hell. We had weird things happening - 2nd boss disappeared and never came back, Last boss had his beam attached to one of the tanks - who could move it around and there were no adds spawning, or only one.... we managed to kill both of them (16man SM for majority of the guild to get a feel for him), but there were a few wipes not really due to misplayed mechanics. I guess next times will be easier and they will fix the bugs. Overall it's fun and I love the artwork then went into it but other bosses were funny one-shots and really like mini-boss fights.
Ingalaarn Conqueror of the Dread Fortress / Ji'kiley Deposer of the Dread Masters
Gate Crasher Joshased / Xartanol From Beyond
Manticore @ The Red Eclipse

bHalage
10.02.2013 , 05:02 AM | #3
draxus is a skill check boss imo
both personal and group wise

Askesis
10.02.2013 , 05:18 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AAAAzrael View Post
2nd and last boss are buggy as hell. We had weird things happening - 2nd boss disappeared and never came back, Last boss had his beam attached to one of the tanks - who could move it around and there were no adds spawning, or only one.... we managed to kill both of them (16man SM for majority of the guild to get a feel for him), but there were a few wipes not really due to misplayed mechanics. I guess next times will be easier and they will fix the bugs. Overall it's fun and I love the artwork then went into it but other bosses were funny one-shots and really like mini-boss fights.
We didn't experience any Bugs with the last boss. We also didn't experience the bug you did on the second boss (disappearing and not coming back). However, after I posted my thread, I came across this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=684969

Now, I'm not sure if that's a bug, or if that's a normal part of the encounter. I do know that it seems way out of tune with the rest of the Operation, though.

In general, I like the Operation. I do love the visuals. Most of the bosses are laughably easy, but that's what I expect for SM, especially for being as geared as most of us were (min-maxed 72 with 75's sprinkled in. The mechanics seem interesting enough for HM though, which is what we're doing tomorrow. I'm also looking forward to going into Palace, which I didn't bother with today because of the bugged boss.

NigeldeJ
10.02.2013 , 05:30 AM | #5
We went into HM without knowing any tactics, but soon found out that dismantlers do a load of dmg, as do all the lightning guys combined, so you'd do good to assign dps to different spawnplaces. Good coordination is required to get you through this fight
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

FlyinSpaghetti
10.02.2013 , 05:36 AM | #6
Draxus is easy IMO, a lot easier than it was on the PTS in SM. The only problem is the average hack and slash pug is going to wipe you due to not killing the right adds when they need to.

Generally you will need to avoid bringing any derps, people who don't use their brain can't be carried through the second that easily compared to previous ops bosses. It's not like on for example thrasher where most pugs I've seen tend to sit back and hack away thrashers backside and just hope they don't get firebug.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

NigeldeJ
10.02.2013 , 05:52 AM | #7
Also useful is to keep one of those exploding adds up, kite him around, so you can heal up, and dps the boss as much as possible
Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Keypek
10.02.2013 , 09:03 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by bHalage View Post
Definitely this, at least in hard mode. It requires a lot of people knowing when and how to use interupts, what mobs to kill first, and some taunt swapping on certaint phases on the boss. At this point I couldn't see a pug being able to do this fight unless they were in someone's voice chat and relatively raid competent.

It's a fun fight though.
K'mpek/Keypek or some variation
Vanguard dps for nim progression. 55s=1 of everything.
Undercon__ ICE Breaker>Corellian Run>The Shadowlands

mikebevo
10.02.2013 , 09:13 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by bHalage View Post
In HM at least, I found him more of an awareness check on my sawbones. Group gets spread out and as a healer you have to know who is where at any given moment so that you get them back in range for a heal or cleanse.

I thought these operations were going to be a complete bore after spending the past couple months in NIM, but they are actually fun. Sure after a couple runs through they will lose some of the luster, but right now they are a blast. Can't wait to try them on dps alts, I am even interested in seeing SM just to see the difference in mechanics.

Ancaglon
10.02.2013 , 09:32 AM | #10
I agree entirely with the OP. The difficulty of this encounter, at least on 16-man story, is WAY out of line with the rest of the instance. It's now fair to expect everyone that joins a Group Finder Story mode operation to be in full 66s (because you get that just by completing the Oricon storyline) but such a group is just going to get annihilated here.