Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

So did they basically nerf all crafting in this patch?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
So did they basically nerf all crafting in this patch?

Thraka
10.01.2013 , 04:58 PM | #1
Basic gear now has higher mod levels, but no corresponding recipes made available?

Hambunctious
10.01.2013 , 06:45 PM | #2
It looks that way.

EvgenijM
10.01.2013 , 08:19 PM | #3
Nerfed? I am sorry, but "killed" would be a better word.
Who will craft grade 72 now, when you can do HM Flashpoints to get it for Elite comms.
Not to mention that running 16man SM OPs and farming Ultimate comms will get you grade 78 gear.

wainot-keel
10.01.2013 , 08:57 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by EvgenijM View Post
Who will craft grade 72 now, when you can do HM Flashpoints to get it for Elite comms.
Not to mention that running 16man SM OPs and farming Ultimate comms will get you grade 78 gear.
If MMGs and Isotopes were fairly easily available (the latter seem to have vanished from game, lol) I would definitely craft some 72 instead of grinding elite comms. Not to mention, the enhancements are kinda crappy from vendor gear. But true... this patch is a huge hit.....

Thraka
10.01.2013 , 09:49 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by EvgenijM View Post
(sigh) That was what I was thinking, too, but I didn't want to get told how stupid and whiny I was if I led off with that and found out I had just overlooked something obvious. I am very disappointed by this change. I just spent a ton of time and credits trying to do something more with my crafting, and now it seems it was wasted.

Was this announced and I just missed it, or was it the surprise to everyone that it was to me?

mike_is_valid
10.01.2013 , 11:18 PM | #6
I wish BW/EA would just make a final move and remove crafting completely from the game. At least i would not have to be angry anytime the put a new patch out.

Crafting mats for low grade gear from an OPS run, its a joke.

EvgenijM
10.02.2013 , 03:48 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
Was this announced and I just missed it, or was it the surprise to everyone that it was to me?
They were silent about this untill last day. Lead Designer Jesse Sky mentioned that Kell Dragon won't be craftable in 2.4 about a week before the patch. But his posted was deleted shortly afterwards.

Anyway, the reason crafting took such hit is not the inability to craft 75 or 78 itself.
Before 2.4 we had a world when BiS gear could not be crafted or purchased with comms. I believe this was a perfect decision, since to get best gear you had to work really hard, doing NiM Ops. Not everyone had a team or skills to complete NiM bosses, so grade 75 gear was a reward for hardcore progression gamers. In per-2.4 world crafting 72 gear helped people to optimize their gear and gear up to complete harder content.
Well, this part did not change after 2.4 - we still can't craft BiS gear (75 and 78), but now people can get BiS gear for comms. And to get those comms they can do 16-man SM Ops and Flashpoints - the easiest stuff in the end-game which basically is a run-through with current gear.
Of course, current BiS gear for comms is not too good. But even non-optimal gradee 78 mods you get for comms are same or better than optimal 72, because the difference between them is now two tiers. Same as before tanks got worse mods again, but healers and DPS can get a lot of good mods for comms.

What was developers' reasoning behind this? I frankly can't come up with anything reasonable.
Was it the idea to make it easier for people to get grade 78 gear? But it's disappointment and loss of challenge for others.
They plan to make 75 or 78 craftable soon?
Or was it simply the easiest thing to do, since shifting gear tiers for all ops would require a remake of existing content and huge amount of testing effort. And they just took the easier path?
I don't know. Guess we have to wait and find out.
But for now it looks they had no plan at all. The decision looks incompetent and not well-though.
We might need to speak up and say this loud to them, but frankly I myself can't yet come up with any serious solution on how exactly this situation could be fixed now.

EnderSeventyFour
10.02.2013 , 05:38 AM | #8
There are a lot of really nice things in this patch... But as far as crafting is concerned, it really feels like it was forgotten.
"Woops, we've just made end game crafting useless"

And 78's for Ultimate comms that you still get from HM FPs ?

Ancaglon
10.02.2013 , 10:06 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by EnderSeventyFour View Post
If Hard-mode flashpoints are your only way of getting Ultimate Comms, it will be nearly 2 years before you have a full set... (12 Ultimate a week, 1180 comms for a full set).

psandak
10.02.2013 , 10:11 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by EnderSeventyFour View Post
Timeout. Let's get logical for a moment:

#1 - The "costs" for ultimate comms gear is the same as it was pre-2.4: sub-optimal but top stat allocation but most of it sucks for many specs: loaded with *A* stat).

#2 - 55MHPs still drop Black Market (69) gear and elite comms off each boss. Yes, that means that one can get Verpine gear just running 55HMFPs. But Verpine (72) gear still SUCKS: as in pre-2.4 it is sub-optimal stat allocation overloaded with *A* stat that is not necessarily beneficial to the spec getting it.

#3 - For someone to get even one piece of 78 gear only doing HMFPs one must run three 55HMFPs each week for SEVEN weeks (bracers and belts cost 80 ultimate comms. one gets 12 ultimate comms for completing the 55HMFP weekly. 80/12=6-2/3). That is a LOT of time for one piece of BiS gear.

#4 - Running the new SM Ops only cuts the time required in #2 in half. One still needs to do the HMFP and SMOP weeklies to get ONE piece of gear in a month (that's assuming they get nothing from the OPs themselves.)

So, everyone just take a breath.

That being said, I agree that those who can craft 31s will take a hit, but I do not think it is as severe as this thread makes it out to be.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Ulunnes (Commando)
Zaggema (Sin) Daellia (Merc) Carrud (Marauder) Quith'edi'ata (Operative)

high end schematics * best crew skills * crew skill money making * Probability 101