Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Market Manipulation?

Daxy
10.05.2013 , 11:34 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Trintric View Post
What's the game? In LARGE part because I know how frustrating it can be when you see things at artificially increased levels. And you know what it's called ...Greed.
artificially increased levels? in an artificial environment?

and greed?
who in the world isnt greedy? is it those "greedy" capitalists who engage in that horrible pastime of generating a profit?
besides- it's always the "other" guy who is greedy

magecutter
10.05.2013 , 07:17 PM | #22
damn, this thread has some serious legs -

Thraka, it sounds like you have a good handle on the situation, best of luck on the GTN

AlrikFassbauer
10.06.2013 , 04:35 AM | #23
I don't know which server you are on,
but I do know an economy-oriented RP-guild on VC.
Yes, you have read correctly. They *do* RP as economy-interested characters (brokers and the like) !
And, as a role-played character, there might be LOTS of reasons for irregular behaviour ... You'd have to ask the author/player of this character what the character's motivations are ...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

AlrikFassbauer
10.06.2013 , 04:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Thraka View Post
I agree, it is a long term matter, but then again, I really enjoy this aspect of the game. Not a lot of people realize how much PVP is involved in playing the GTN. One has allies and enemies, forms strategies, and makes attacks.
And that's what I actually hate of current markets :

The Gatherers could be controlling the markets - in RL - but instead, they are exploited. Think about ore mining in Africa, done by children, for example, or small farmers being on the brink to ruin, because they don't get as much money from those who buy their milk & crops to survive ... In the end, there's only HUGE CARTELS surviving, like Microsoft, EA, Oracle, Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Monsanto, Czerka and the like.

The result in this is a severe lack of diversity. When only an Oligarchy Of The Few controlls EVERYTHING, then they not control EVERYTHING - which is power-hunger like Sith have - but they ALSO destroy any diversity. No innovation anymore, no new ideas anymore, because at the base, there is no-one left. Everything's destroyed and transferred into those MASSIVE companies.

My favourite example is the "diversity" in the PC operating systems market. Microsoft and ... well ... Linux ? What, if Linux wasn't there ? What's actually left of operating systems BESIDES Linux & Microsoft ?

Homebrewed operating systems just don't exist anymore. Except those done by criminals, maybe (one recent Trojan had its own ffile system implemented, actually).

Same goes for everything else. Monsanto controls the crops market (with a few other companies) Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan are controlling things as well, the PC games market is being controlled by EA, Ubi, Bliizzactivision, and who else ? Not many, at least. And just imagine Indies weren't there. It's funny, isn't it ? How many homebrewed games are out there ? Same for car companies, media companies ...

Personally, I even consider the PC platform as an "degenerated gaming platform". No diversity, because a few genres pushed by a few firms control 99 % of PC gaming.

And, this destruction of diversity is nowadays even going on with animals & plants. If everything goes well, we'll have in 500.00 years 80 % of our landscape being controlled by an Oligarchy of a few companies whoi have patented and genetically engineered almost EVERYTHING that lives on this planet ...

Conglomerates are not good for

- diversity
- creativity
- innovation

Just look at Microsoft. Or at any other massive firm.

And now, they are buying out Amazonas areas for planting Soy. In Asia as well. And no-one cares whether Orangutans are destroyed by this. Money is more important than out brothers.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

MeNaCe-NZ
10.06.2013 , 08:09 PM | #25
Seriously get off your soapbox and go start your own anti Microsoft / capitalism thread.

Thraka
10.06.2013 , 09:14 PM | #26
Trintric, I think your use of the term 'greed' is unfair. This is not the real world, where people actually suffer from prices. This is a game where they always have the option of gathering their own materials. I craft with my own materials, and have enough excess to also play this market game. There is nothing stopping other players from doing so other than their own preferences.

Whatever price I charge, players are choosing to buy my auctions as opposed to doing the work themselves. If we call people who enjoy the simulated commodities trading in an MMO 'greed', then wouldn't we also call PVP'ers who strive to defeat other players 'murderous'?

That being said, I don't really object to what you are talking about, per se. It's your time, and you ought to be able to do whatever gets you the most enjoyment from the game. If it gets in my way, then we're playing a PVP game, and we'll try to get the best of one another, and both have fun, right?

Don't mistake what I am talking about here as carping. I am just enjoying discussing strategy at what I find a fun game. Your perspective is also fun to hear.

Thraka
10.06.2013 , 09:18 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
I don't know which server you are on,
but I do know an economy-oriented RP-guild on VC.
Yes, you have read correctly. They *do* RP as economy-interested characters (brokers and the like) !
And, as a role-played character, there might be LOTS of reasons for irregular behaviour ... You'd have to ask the author/player of this character what the character's motivations are ...
This is an absolutely fascinating idea. I LOVE the notion of RP'ing the drama of the market. If I do decide to try to form a cartel, I will absolutely do it in an RP context. Thanks so much for a great idea,

benovide
10.06.2013 , 09:36 PM | #28
Just create mains based on crafting skill, have them constantly crafting items, and trade those items between your accounts to toss on the exchange. It's not hard, it lets you play the market in your favor to generate the greatest amount of income.

Prices will only go so low until those selling the items are losing profits tremendously. Let them buy off your and sell for lower cost, it'll only bankrupt them. I have personally driven at least 30 other "brokers" into bankruptcy trying to buy my goods at top price to sell for lesser price. More often I'll buy from other lower selling players than them, and sell with my mark-up.

In the grand scheme, buying the products people are selling for less and marking them up, can actually generate income faster and higher than you'd think. Best thing you can do, is broker some deals with item manufacturers. The ones you gather materials for.

It shouldn't be hard to broker a deal with specific crafters. Dealing only with specific crafters, not only controls your own prices, but also keeps you gaining profits, and the crafter as well. It's a win-win.

benovide
10.06.2013 , 09:53 PM | #29
Buying low cost goods and selling at higher price. There was a time command chairs sold for 2 mil a piece. I bought 40 off the exchange at one time. Resold all of them for 8 mil a piece.

Woodland Veractyles I bought 58 at anywhere from 1.2 mil to 3.5 mil. I've sold all of them for 6-10 mil a piece. Before they got rid of the packs. I bought 18 mask of revan for 3-5 mil a piece. I've sold all of them for 12 mil.

If they are selling at low price. Buy them and mark them up.

Sinapus
10.06.2013 , 11:01 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by benovide View Post
Buying low cost goods and selling at higher price. There was a time command chairs sold for 2 mil a piece. I bought 40 off the exchange at one time. Resold all of them for 8 mil a piece.

Woodland Veractyles I bought 58 at anywhere from 1.2 mil to 3.5 mil. I've sold all of them for 6-10 mil a piece. Before they got rid of the packs. I bought 18 mask of revan for 3-5 mil a piece. I've sold all of them for 12 mil.

If they are selling at low price. Buy them and mark them up.
Or, if you're a crafter buy them up. (My Cybertech is using a ton of mats crafting prototype mods and armors for my alts and various companions.)
"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary