Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Killed a sorc through his barrier?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Killed a sorc through his barrier?

ErikGW
09.20.2013 , 08:55 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Laforet View Post
Yup, its the same reason to why sometimes we get force lifted behind LoS or hit by melee attacks while sprinting far far away.

Ive heard the fps game Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad (RO:HoS) was using this client side "trust" without getting hacked as a means to make american and european players play confortably on the same server and reduce overall "teleporting" while moving. I dont know how they technically avoid the hackfest tho.
COD and most FPS games use a client trusted model. Punkbuster is the way most of them control hacking. MMOs have avoided using a system like punkbuster because of licensing costs i think.

When you are selling a $60 or $30 boxed game, you can include it as the cost of doing business. In a f2p mmo, the licensing costs outweigh the profit of the game per user.
Jung ma: Nyshka, Nyshkal, Nyshkai, Nyshkar, Nyskali, Nyshkan, Nyshkae of Gold Nugget Gang
There are other names i can't exactly remember. True altaholic.

Royox
09.20.2013 , 01:14 PM | #12
Smashers, now so OP they can kill a sorc when using the barrier.

It's not bug, it's feature.

Xertasian
09.20.2013 , 02:09 PM | #13
i was the sage who you was fighting..my force barrier mezz you earlier couldn't use it right away i had force imbalance..gonna watch the video and make sure..think that what it was and how your ravage got through..my stun was on cd so couldn't really get away..

usually i stream my wz's..lately just been kind of lazy that way could had seen it from both angles..

editing post..look like my force barrier was up you should had got mezzed giving me enough time to get away..cause i was spec full tk..guess its a bug or something..

just watch the stream on your twitch i didnt pop force barrier that was my force bubble which you killed me through..
Back streaming again http://twitch.tv/Xertasian

JP_Legatus
09.20.2013 , 03:37 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ErikGW View Post
There is a bug in using barrier while you are still in motion from a knockback, usually when it happens it won't set the cooldown but you will see the animation stop then start.

In programming, this is due to how the client-server model is set up. Most games compensate for lag by trusting the client explicitly. In performance that's good, but it opens up a whole world of mechanics hacks and that's why this game doesn't use it (aimbots in fps games work based on that).

In the use of most skills it seems the server doesnt trust the client. In this example, if the server did trust the client there would be a hack that sorcs could use that autosends the barrier control code into the datastream after death (in coordination with a lagbot).

The end result would be on the screen of everyone attacking the sorc he would die, then reappear back where he was, alive with force barrier up.

So cry all you want about swtor's mechanics... and some are quirky. But they are that way for a reason. If they "fixed" this problem, it would create many little hacks.

And the quirks of this bug currently are that lag does happen, and quite often, because a mostly synchronized client-server model is very sensitive to network issues.
In this case the damage persisted going through his barrier a full 4s after it was on as the bar shows (if it was actually on). If it were lag it'd be almost impossible for that to happen in the way it did.
Plaje - 55 Assassin Sorcheals - 55 Sorcerer
TheHulkk - 55 Juggernaut Riksa - 55 Marauder
Ophealing - 55 Operative Lolsniper - 55 Sniper
Overpoweredtech - 29 Powertech The Bastion http://www.twitch.tv/plajje

JP_Legatus
09.20.2013 , 03:45 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Xertasian View Post
i was the sage who you was fighting..my force barrier mezz you earlier couldn't use it right away i had force imbalance..gonna watch the video and make sure..think that what it was and how your ravage got through..my stun was on cd so couldn't really get away..

usually i stream my wz's..lately just been kind of lazy that way could had seen it from both angles..

editing post..look like my force barrier was up you should had got mezzed giving me enough time to get away..cause i was spec full tk..guess its a bug or something..

just watch the stream on your twitch i didnt pop force barrier that was my force bubble which you killed me through..
Ohai xD

Idk, me and my guildies watched it a few times and we can't tell what actually happened.

If you look at your character, the overhead channeling bar that appears indicates you had force barrier on. There was no animation however (the animation is very obvious) and the target's cast bar on my UI shows it got "cancelled" somehow. There is no channeling icon for force bubble so it definitely isn't that.

So there's either one of two bugs:
1. there is a bug that continues showing a cast on the character's overhead bars even if the channel is stopped
2. force barrier has a bug that allows damage to go through it

I don't know which bug it is, but it pretty much has to be one of them.
Plaje - 55 Assassin Sorcheals - 55 Sorcerer
TheHulkk - 55 Juggernaut Riksa - 55 Marauder
Ophealing - 55 Operative Lolsniper - 55 Sniper
Overpoweredtech - 29 Powertech The Bastion http://www.twitch.tv/plajje

SOULCASTER
09.20.2013 , 05:11 PM | #16
Maybe this falls under Bioware's "5% rule". Where they talked about all attacks have a 5% base chance to hit its target, regardless of effects people cast or use that specify otherwise. As in the devs explanation on why people are getting hit with tech effects and knock backs even with Force Shroud up.

I know I personally have had my guardian force push work, and knock back sages that were in barrier before on at least 2 or 3 separate occasions.
Prophecy of the Five
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Altoholic

Monterone
09.20.2013 , 06:04 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SOULCASTER View Post
Maybe this falls under Bioware's "5% rule". Where they talked about all attacks have a 5% base chance to hit its target, regardless of effects people cast or use that specify otherwise. As in the devs explanation on why people are getting hit with tech effects and knock backs even with Force Shroud up.

I know I personally have had my guardian force push work, and knock back sages that were in barrier before on at least 2 or 3 separate occasions.
So there should be a 5% chance to kill a mara through UR? Otherwise their 5% explanation is bogus and lazy. Feels like it's all bugs they don't want to tackle.

Otherwise, an assassin's Shroud should work as well as UR.
Sominette . Saminette
Pot5 > Harbinger

funkiestj
09.20.2013 , 07:48 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Laforet View Post
Inb4 Bioware's "working as intended" just like the assassins force shroud.
The BW quote I saw regarding force shroud said "not working as intended but too hard to fix so suck it *****es".

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Zunayson
09.21.2013 , 09:08 AM | #19
pretty sure this is an obvious case of channeled moves *********** up. Ravage loves to do it to me.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

SOULCASTER
09.21.2013 , 09:47 AM | #20
In that video, I do not see the Force Barrier icon apply on the sage he's attacking. Indicating what happened was an ''ability failure''. Basically the sage cast barrier, and his character goes through the animation and the GCD fires, but the ability does not.

This is common with many casted heals from sage as well as channeled abilities like a Commando's Full-Auto (or a Mercenary's Unload).

Its a broken game engine.
Prophecy of the Five
www.WeaponsOfWarGuild.enjin.com
(5x) Season 1 All-Star Season 2 All-Star Altoholic