Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a developer dialogue going on why class stories are not in the cards?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a developer dialogue going on why class stories are not in the cards?

tensaix
08.28.2013 , 07:19 AM | #21
To put it bluntly, EA don't have the manpower and do not want to waste excessive amount of time and money for content that will be cleared in < 10 hours.

EA only cares about luring gullible customers to keep purchasing gambling packs, hence one of the reason why EA keep hashing out re-skinned pack as "new".
Radix malorum est EA

ZionHalcyon
08.28.2013 , 07:20 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord-Aleph View Post
If they continue just focusing on world arcs, then each class should at least get SOME class-specific stuff. An intro cutscene w/ convo, one or two missions exclusive to them diverging from the main world arc, and an end cutscene w/ convo. That and at least one new companion quest or something, but failing that, some dialogue from them during a conversation or something at least.

But yeah, as I said in another thread, some developer input on the subject would be great. (Particularly if they actually take any of this into consideration)
Exactly what I said. And they can even do it in every other planet release, which is fine by me. And on the planets they don't do it on, they really need to do a much better job of writing and remaining faithful to the events of the class stories in the dialogue.

Lord-Aleph
08.28.2013 , 07:22 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Exactly what I said. And they can even do it in every other planet release, which is fine by me. And on the planets they don't do it on, they really need to do a much better job of writing and remaining faithful to the events of the class stories in the dialogue.
Eh, to be honest I have doubt that expansions would come often enough that every other planet would be satisfying. It could be said beggars can't be choosers, but I'd REALLY prefer they give us at least that kind of thing on EVERY new planet release.

ZionHalcyon
08.28.2013 , 07:28 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by tensaix View Post
To put it bluntly, EA don't have the manpower and do not want to waste excessive amount of time and money for content that will be cleared in < 10 hours.

EA only cares about luring gullible customers to keep purchasing gambling packs, hence one of the reason why EA keep hashing out re-skinned pack as "new".
Then let them say that.

My point being - you don't know. There are people who have theories and angst, and outright anger, but none of that means they have an inside look into the inner workings of Bioware and their thought process - just their anger and their opinions.

Hence why I would love for there to be some dialogue. Takes the guessing game right out. And to be honest, I am far less trusting of a player with a chip on their shoulder than I am a dev of the game.

I do hope they've read this, are willing to come and discuss, and so on. And I want to keep this civil. It's less of a "scream at the devs" thread and more of a "are you aware of the large class story sentiment, are there options (and are the ones I listed for instance, feasible?)" Its a call for dialogue and understanding, not of mechanics or the upcoming game stuff, but of the current Bioware philosophy and is it possible to move them even a little from their current thinking, and if not, help the players to understand why we can't even in part have some continuation of the class story going forward.

Anyway, I think this is a heady enough topic that if they did choose to respond, they'd probably have people to talk to, have to triple check what they can and cannot say, and would be trying hard to craft a response that both satisfies the powers that be in the building by not revealing anything crucial, while still giving enough meat that those reading have enough to interact on. Something like that will take time. The community team have jobs to do, and busy ones, after all, so if there is any dev movement on this, I would expect it no earlier than today and more likely later in the week, if they choose to respond (which they might not to, sadly).

But I think the key is, if we want them to respond, people really need to voice their support for class stories in a noticable but respectful manner, and would like it if that can provide some leverage in starting an ongoing discussion on the subject.

ZionHalcyon
08.28.2013 , 07:31 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord-Aleph View Post
Eh, to be honest I have doubt that expansions would come often enough that every other planet would be satisfying. It could be said beggars can't be choosers, but I'd REALLY prefer they give us at least that kind of thing on EVERY new planet release.
The thing to keep in mind, is that they probably are actually very far along on the dev cycle on the next planet, maybe the next TWO, so its entirely possible that even if we did sway them, we likely wouldn't see changes until 3 story planets out.

Its something to keep in mind and keep perspective on, but I'd wait if it meant the return of class stories in some form, even as a part of the greater planetary story.

If nothing else, this thread is a call for their writers to step up their game as well, in addition to asking for a return of class stories in some form.

ImpactHound
08.28.2013 , 07:33 AM | #26
ITEM 1
  • When the game launched, and leading up to the game, the selling point, the big hook for this game was STORY. Your own story where YOU were the hero. Now, to some degree, you could see that as being fulfilled in the class quests 1-50. However, there is a problem. A number of the class quests leave quite a few loose ends (Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent come immediately to mind), and although Makeb really was a lot of fun, the throwaway lines there to your class story feel cheap, worthless, throwaway in a lame effort to placate story fans, and actually a bit of a slap in the face to those who got the game for the story and wanted to see how their story integrated with Makeb.
Love it, 5 star post!

Bojangle
08.28.2013 , 07:36 AM | #27
There's a flaw with your thinking. That being the devs have already stated the CM team and the content team are two distinctly separate teams, and the CM team in no way affects the timeline on what the content team can do.
Yes 2 different teams which require pay still. If there was no CM and still a sub based game, then they wouldn't be paying a team to do fluff stuff and could pay more game developers for content and things of that nature. So the man power is shorter now due to this.
()≡ǁ/////ǁ(₪)ǁǁ[██████████████████████████████)

Lord-Aleph
08.28.2013 , 07:37 AM | #28
The thing to keep in mind, is that they probably are actually very far along on the dev cycle on the next planet, maybe the next TWO, so its entirely possible that even if we did sway them, we likely wouldn't see changes until 3 story planets out.

Its something to keep in mind and keep perspective on, but I'd wait if it meant the return of class stories in some form, even as a part of the greater planetary story.

If nothing else, this thread is a call for their writers to step up their game as well, in addition to asking for a return of class stories in some form.
You make a good point, we don't really know how far they've gotten in regards to the next planets they release. But, in any case, even if they are that far along, I'd hope that they could add this kind of class-specific stuff to every planet following those.

Anyway, like I said earlier, hopefully a dev does take note of all this and attempts to get a dialogue going, however long that may take. (hopefully sooner than later)

AlienEyeTX
08.28.2013 , 07:51 AM | #29
OP, I get what you mean in item 2. It wouldn't even have to be entire missions. Just a few side conversations that are class-specific. It doesn't seem like that much "extra," as long as they are well thought out. It would just add to the feeling of individualism, without all the work of doing class missions.
You like free stuff, right? Click on this referral link to get yours. I'll get a little something, too. Welcome home. #freethelekku

ERenfield
08.28.2013 , 07:53 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Bojangle View Post
Yes 2 different teams which require pay still. If there was no CM and still a sub based game, then they wouldn't be paying a team to do fluff stuff and could pay more game developers for content and things of that nature. So the man power is shorter now due to this.
The man-power isn't shorter by necessity, just by choice. It's well documented that the move to F2P increased, rather than decreased, their profit margin. They're making a lot of money: the issue is where (and on what) they invest it.

This is why I think the OP has an excellent point with this thread. If we can discuss things like the content of cartel packs with the developers, we can discuss what we want from the game itself, and what they're willing to give us.

(And what we're willing to give them back in return. The cold calculus of profit.)