Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a developer dialogue going on why class stories are not in the cards?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a developer dialogue going on why class stories are not in the cards?

yindaka
08.27.2013 , 10:18 PM | #11
The way it is now, class storylines are dead. You've reached the pinnacle with your character in almost every class (with the exception of a few) and it'll only go downhill from there. I'm one of those who bought this game for the story and I've long given up hope that I will meet the emperor with my SW or have an actual discussion in the dark council with my Inquisitor and plan the war or even command war assets as you supposedly do.

It's pretty clear that the original 1 to 50 storylines were made by ambitious people who wanted to do more with it, and they were good even if some storylines had a few weak or predictable moments.

Bioware's or EA's understanding of story is now a planetary quest line where you still slave your behind off and just get a handshake or a pat on the shoulder in the end and none the wiser. You just scratched the surface and everyone loves you and this and that but there's no real satisfaction in the end, no parade, no cheering, no drowds cheering your name. It's all fine when you play a modest type. But what's wrong with a crowd cowering in front of a warrior, a bunch of high officials kneeling for an inquisitor, troopers cheering on their major, etc...

All of their promotional vids are flashy and heroic but there nothing of that past the original storyline anymore.
Now ofcourse even in the original storyline there were faults, or so I think. I found the lack of impact from some of your choices annoying. Yes, there were some great choice moments with impact but a lot of the choices are either "good/bad" leave no room for anyone who wants to do it differently, and mostly the choices never last longer than 3 quests later where you're confronted with the result of your choice and you then permanently end it.

There is no longer any YOU in the story, but THEM, US or WE. The galaxy, governments, political institutions, academies etc do no longer care what you did for them. Be it saving the faction or conquering the galaxy, you're just one of the many and the only reflection of your past accomplishments are things like; "My Lord.." "I've heard a great deal about you..." "OH my, it's you!!" but that's it.

I'd love to hear some developper's reaction on this thread but I'm sure their answers will leave you with more questions than answers about this topic. Should they decide to actually give it another go, I sincerely hope they'll ask some feedback from the community, as in what would you like to do with your character? But for now, we'll have to wait and see, swallow some more dread master stuff
Spoiler
and see what comes after that.

ERenfield
08.27.2013 , 11:38 PM | #12
I don't believe I've posted in the forums before, but let me just say that I too am questioning my subscription (at least) to the game, given this obvious developer - or more likely producer - disinterest in the class story project.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the game and I've enjoyed it since pre-launch, but as mentioned above, this is a game about "your story". My story is e.g. my Sith Inquisitor's story, sensitive to what he is and what he uniquely does and who he uniquely knows, such that the Avengers-style interludes (to my mind) like Makeb can somehow matter.

Otherwise it's like that stereotypical old washout for whom every new experience is a chance to reminisce about the old days (that time you killed X or did Y in the 1-50 story). There's no narrative development: just extended plot.

All that said, and given the reality of the producers' reluctance to invest in class stories (which I think can be taken for granted), the kind of 'intercalated class story' the OP describes does seem to be the only viable solution.

No class stories will fundamentally hurt the motivation of many of us to play, and also to pay to customise our character (to what end, besides looking cool in arenas?) - and lead to unsubscribing, and significant loss of profit.
Not to mention I don't envy SWTOR's fortunes when the next generation of emergent-gameplay MMOs shows up.

Developing 4 (x2) class stories seems too much for the Bioware Austin team to stomach financially. Fair enough.

But: develop one story, use your instance technology (see: personal starships) to give Inquisitors, Warriors, etc. something to do that is unique to them as part of that story, have an old friend cameo in it, keep subscribers.

(Or at least myself. It won't take more than such relatively meagre effort to keep me, and I don't think I'm alone.)

This really is the red line marking SWTOR's reputation as a story-based MMO, or a has-been story-based MMO. Could we have some indication of whether Bioware Austin is willing to entertain an intercalated approach? Eric? Courtney?

Felioats
08.28.2013 , 12:46 AM | #13
They're not going to start a dialogue because they have nothing else to say.

Stories are free to play, so they aren't going to be making any more.

It makes me sad, it makes me angry, but it's the reality.

Makeb was pretty short, and that was for everyone. Imagine if it had been 1/4 the length.
>

ERenfield
08.28.2013 , 02:19 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
I'm sure they do, if we start leaving the game that's paying their salaries.

(And less cynically, it's possible they care about satisfying their customers with token gestures, such as what the OP and myself are discussing. By no means is full reinstatement of those infamous four datamined planets on the table.)

Edit: But nor is Makeb enough. There's 'token gesture' and there's a token of a token, as it were.

chuixupu
08.28.2013 , 02:34 AM | #15

That in itself isn't an excuse: They can charge for an expansion of class story, just like they charged for an expansion of two faction stories on Makeb.

They just can't afford to pay all the writers and Q&A to develop that scale of diverging storylines anymore.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

ZionHalcyon
08.28.2013 , 07:03 AM | #16

It makes me sad, it makes me angry, but it's the reality.

Makeb was pretty short, and that was for everyone. Imagine if it had been 1/4 the length.
Then let them come here and definitively say that.

Rather than trusting player angst, I'd rather have a dialogue with the devs on player class stories and also think if there is enough positive support here, maybe they might alter their thinking enough to at least allow a continuation of the class story.

Either way, it would be nice to get some direct feedback as pertains to the items I mentioned.

ZionHalcyon
08.28.2013 , 07:04 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
That in itself isn't an excuse: They can charge for an expansion of class story, just like they charged for an expansion of two faction stories on Makeb.

They just can't afford to pay all the writers and Q&A to develop that scale of diverging storylines anymore.
See Item 2 though - they don't have to be that diverging anymore in order to continue the class story, nor do they need to be the main levelling vehicle as they were 1-50.

Bojangle
08.28.2013 , 07:11 AM | #18
The class storylines are a huge part of the game. It does take a lot of time and money to continue them. If this game stayed sub only and kept at least 500k+ subs, then I would bet there would be a continuation of class stories. But there just isn't that income or time now that the CM is the focus and then the other content that keeps needing to be done. They can say they feel people want the grouping more etc. but imo I think it is just an excuse because they can't just say, "Well we don't have the time or money to continue to do class stories so we had to take another route."

I am sure if they did an in-game poll, more people would want class stories to continue vs how Makeb was.

Maybe on a major expansion they will but who knows.

This goes for probably why no new classes will be introduced. They will need to completely do a whole new storyline for them lvl 1-50. Not saying they won't ever add one, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
()≡ǁ/////ǁ(₪)ǁǁ[██████████████████████████████)

Lord-Aleph
08.28.2013 , 07:16 AM | #19
If they continue just focusing on world arcs, then each class should at least get SOME class-specific stuff. An intro cutscene w/ convo, one or two missions exclusive to them diverging from the main world arc, and an end cutscene w/ convo. That and at least one new companion quest or something, but failing that, some dialogue from them during a conversation or something at least.

But yeah, as I said in another thread, some developer input on the subject would be great. (Particularly if they actually take any of this into consideration)

ZionHalcyon
08.28.2013 , 07:18 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Bojangle View Post
The class storylines are a huge part of the game. It does take a lot of time and money to continue them. If this game stayed sub only and kept at least 500k+ subs, then I would bet there would be a continuation of class stories. But there just isn't that income or time now that the CM is the focus and then the other content that keeps needing to be done. They can say they feel people want the grouping more etc. but imo I think it is just an excuse because they can't just say, "Well we don't have the time or money to continue to do class stories so we had to take another route."

I am sure if they did an in-game poll, more people would want class stories to continue vs how Makeb was.

Maybe on a major expansion they will but who knows.

This goes for probably why no new classes will be introduced. They will need to completely do a whole new storyline for them lvl 1-50. Not saying they won't ever add one, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
There's a flaw with your thinking. That being the devs have already stated the CM team and the content team are two distinctly separate teams, and the CM team in no way affects the timeline on what the content team can do.