Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can we get a developer dialogue going on why class stories are not in the cards?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can we get a developer dialogue going on why class stories are not in the cards?

ZionHalcyon
08.27.2013 , 04:02 PM | #1
Trust me, I know the devs have spoken when it comes to the continuation of class stories.

From the Cantina Tour Chicago:

They do not forsee Class stories as they have been going forward. (No link, but I was there and asked this question myself - needless to say, the answer felt at best, narrowminded, as if I was asking to continue class stories as they were exactly)

From the Cantina Tour Germany:

7.They rather do planetary story arcs, than class stories, because the group experience is better, when playing through them (like on Makeb)

However, there are a number of things surrounding these that just haven't been clarified, or at least haven't been properly addressed, and I'd love it if Eric or one of the other Community people could jump in and clarify, or at least take this back to the design team, that is, if enough people here on the forums support a return of class stories IN SOME FORM.

Things I feel haven't properly been addressed:
ITEM 1
  • When the game launched, and leading up to the game, the selling point, the big hook for this game was STORY. Your own story where YOU were the hero. Now, to some degree, you could see that as being fulfilled in the class quests 1-50. However, there is a problem. A number of the class quests leave quite a few loose ends (Sith Warrior and Imperial Agent come immediately to mind), and although Makeb really was a lot of fun, the throwaway lines there to your class story feel cheap, worthless, throwaway in a lame effort to placate story fans, and actually a bit of a slap in the face to those who got the game for the story and wanted to see how their story integrated with Makeb.

I get why the devs would lean towards group story content. This is in no way knocking that, and yes, more group story content please. But given some of the variances of class story, can a better job be done in terms of the writing to better integrate class story endings into the group content other then "Hi Dark Council Member! Now here's your grunt work."

Examples:
1) Sith Warrior :
Spoiler

2) Imperial Agent:
Spoiler

Both of those at LEAST acknowledge what was done in the class story, and feel less cheap than just a throwaway line at the beginning of the quest line.

ITEM 2
  • Whenever its been brought up about stories and class quests, the impression I get is that the developers think we are asking for, lets say, a continuation of the existing class stories with the pacing and handholding through levelling. That was the impression I got from the response in Chicago and the same impression I get reading the response in Germany.

What's never been clearly answered is why can't there be more class stories that just act also as a part of the larger group story?

For example. Say you are a bounty hunter. The next "group questline" is about the Empire hiring out people (including you) to lay siege to planet x in order to obtain artifact Y for the Empire. That's the group quest. What's wrong with 2 or 3 class stories while you are there that intertwine with the group story? In this case, you find out a high credit mark is hiding on this war torn planet in question, and take the job with the Empire BECAUSE you have a mark down there, and leveraging the empire to get access makes the most sense? Then you do your group quests to lay siege to whereever, until you get a com call from Mako letting you know she found the mark, he's a member of the resistance, and you need to do XYZ to prepare, so on to the next class quest. Finally, on the last leg of the group quest, one of your "bonus objectives" is the mark, so you can do that quest (and your party is there so they can help too if they want) on your way to completing the final group objective. Then the group quest is done, and on your ship you collect and get a class quest sendoff for that leg of it.

In that example, most of your levelling is being done via the group quest, but you get 2-3 class missions that coinside with the group mission and make sense in the greater context of the story. Thats about less than half, maybe even a quarter or less than a quarter of a planet's worth of class quests.

Is there a reason why that isn't a possibility, so that at least our personal story can still move forward while still engaging and levelling mainly on "group" story content?

Sorry if this is long-winded, but enough people care about this, and obviously in multiple locations if the same type of questions are being asked in 2 different cities halfway across the world from each other.

Here's hoping for at least a response, if not a civil dialogue on the subject and perhaps some light shed on why we can't (or can we?) have some class stories moving forward, respect to design timelines included.
BobVader - We will always remember.
Remain civil in the face of incivility, lest you be the barbarian.

Greenify
08.27.2013 , 04:39 PM | #2
Spoiler

JimG
08.27.2013 , 04:59 PM | #3
I can't find the link off-hand but they've been saying this in interviews going back several months to the launch of ROTHC....not just at the recent cantina tours. The basic gist of it is that there would be 8 class stories to create and only 2 faction stories to create. So the development time and cost would be 4 times as much to do class stories with future content instead of faction stories. It's a simple cost/benefit analysis for them along with the increased delays in release of new content.

Damask_Rose
08.27.2013 , 07:08 PM | #4
You missed the point of the OP. There are solutions out there that don't involve an all or nothing approach to class stories.

ZionHalcyon
08.27.2013 , 08:10 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Greenify View Post
The SW was well aware the emperor is dead, didn't you get the mail? Also he knows darth marr.

The Emperor's VOICE is dead. He is searching for a replacement, which is why he is out of commission at the moment and using his hands to communicate his will with the Wrath. That was what were in the emails.

The VOICE is what was killed at the end of the Jedi Knight Storyline, NOT the emperor himself as the Knight was led to believe.

ZionHalcyon
08.27.2013 , 08:11 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Damask_Rose View Post
You missed the point of the OP. There are solutions out there that don't involve an all or nothing approach to class stories.
Exactly. and what's frustrating is the dev seemed to miss the point I was trying to make as well when I asked him with my cantina crawl question in Chicago.

It doesn't even need to be every release of a new planet - every other one works - alternate. And keep in mind what I said in item 1 about better writing that respects the class stories, not pithy throwaway lines that slap you in the face and minimalize your story 1-50.

Mamerica
08.27.2013 , 08:17 PM | #7
Hold on. They are not going to continue class stories? Class stories are the main reason I subscribe. If this is the case, I am going to have to rethink whether or not I want to continue keeping my character geared for no pay off.

Lunafox
08.27.2013 , 08:28 PM | #8
I support more individual class and companion story, even if it's just a few quests per planet. I think I've raised enough of a ruckus on the forum with my thoughts and feelings on the topic, but I will continue to pursue this with the utmost persistence, because it's important to me, and others, and was what brought many of us to the game.

The platform for this game was 'you are the hero of your own unique adventure'....I don't feel terribly unique in in any of my guises as the classes I play (I play all of them in all degrees of experience m/f, light/dark etc) with material like Makeb. I've no issue with stuff like Makeb as content, but there must also be the continuation of our class stories and companion stories.

The replay-ability factor of material like Makeb is practically nil. I've been thru this planet five times with different classes, and quite honestly, I can fathom getting a root canal before I can fathom going through it a sixth or seventh time.
No Individual class/companion story extensions, make it technically challenging to pay a sub!
~Take care everyone! May the Force be with you, always!~

Slurmez
08.27.2013 , 08:43 PM | #9
Class stories cost money and they cant really sell them on the cartel market so are not on the cards

Mercurial_Harpy
08.27.2013 , 09:44 PM | #10
Oh, I'd love to hear a developer or Erickson spin this. But I seriously doubt we'll get EA to admit the obvious; that there are additional chapters written, and likely recorded, but EA is not interested in devoting the resources to pushing them out. I absolutely, 100% believe they intended to continue at launch, but they were scrapped when the game went F2P. That's why your loading screen said "Interlude."

It's obvious to many (although some may disagree) that almost all of the stories lack the definitive closure necessary for EA to get away with "Yeah, no more class stories." Cases in point as noted by the OP: Agent, Warrior. Also, I have no idea how they'll get around the fact that a Dark Council/Jedi Council member is running around doing grunt work. Or why the best smuggler in the galaxy is doing fetch quests without the promise of an enormous payoff.

Honestly, I would have been happy with 1 or 2 more class-specific quest chains to place our characters in a position to logically explain why they are doing what they are doing, maybe similar to the seeker droid quest, but class-specific. Not even full chapters; just a little freaking closure. An in-game mail once in a while. Anything. And that's not even getting into the issue that players have married companions that have simply stopped speaking to them, with no plans to correct that, either. Sad, sad, sad.

Again, some may disagree, but IMHO, these are huge issues that are a deal-breaker for me. There was a way for EA to transition 8 individual stories to 2 faction-based story arcs. The way it was done was the worst way possible. And that makes me totally uninterested in continuing to play.
~The Argost Legacy~

~Jedi Covenant~