Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why must the ability to heal as a DPS = underwhelming performance as a DPS?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Why must the ability to heal as a DPS = underwhelming performance as a DPS?

iamthehoyden
08.27.2013 , 01:13 PM | #11
A hybrid tax is frankly ridiculous in this game. There is no need for a back-up healer unless things go terribly wrong in a fight. The lackluster heals a dps sage can put out should be treated the same as every other class's utility abilities. They are certainly not a replacement for providing dps equal to a slinger or a sent.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

chuixupu
08.27.2013 , 01:14 PM | #12
I agree, I just know from past experience that nerf to their heals will cause a big stir from many people, because any time any nerf happens, for better or for worse, that is what people do.

It seems like I really haven't seen a concentrated effort to get this point across. I see a lot of asking for buffs, but not people saying that they are want this trade-off.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Odlus
08.27.2013 , 01:55 PM | #13
I don't play a Sorc so I'm not too familiar with their issues, but it seems like the issue seems to be a disconnect between how the devs envision the class should be played vs the players. The players feel Sorcs don't have enough survivability, so they ask for better cooldowns. The devs argue that they already have self healing to make up for the lack of powerful cooldowns. The players then feel that self healing as a DPS spec is too weak or too inefficient to be a suitable survivability mechanic. If this is truly the case (again, I don't have a Sorc so I don't know first hand), it seems that the next step should be thinking of ways to improve a Sorc's self healing ability as a DPS spec.

There are plenty of ways that a mechanic could be added near the end of the Sorc DPS trees that improve their ability to self heal. Just off of the top of my head, a stacking buff that improves the casting time / force cost / healing value of the next heal the Sorc self casts, and stacks are generated by casting X abilities. Something like that could allow self healing to act as a viable survivability mechanic over the course of a fight, without allowing them to just turtle up as effectively as a healing spec could (since they would need to build stacks through attacking).

And that's just the first thing I thought of as someone who doesn't even play the class. I'm sure the people who do could come up with much better ideas and maybe even have them ready for the next round of mirror class questions.

DOHboy
08.27.2013 , 01:56 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
I agree, I just know from past experience that nerf to their heals will cause a big stir from many people, because any time any nerf happens, for better or for worse, that is what people do.

It seems like I really haven't seen a concentrated effort to get this point across. I see a lot of asking for buffs, but not people saying that they are want this trade-off.
Everyone wants to be the best. Everyone wants to walk in push a button and wait for the smoke to clear. Which is why <insert class> sucks or <insert YOUR class> is OP vs <insert my class> please nerf <insert YOUR clasS> are fairly heated debates.
In our guild there is a sense of "competition" to get on HM raids. People are gearing like crazy and parsing to ends of the earth to get that max HPS or DPS that says "i'm ready for HM" since they can get pulled through SM content pretty easily (albeit sloppy). As if stepping into a HM/NM operation is simply about numbers. I don't care what you HPS are if you are losing 3/4 of your life standing in TFB Spit during phase one, before you realize it and move, you are NOT going to get into a HM op in the near future.

ZionHalcyon
08.27.2013 , 01:58 PM | #15
Poor poor spoiled sorcs....
BobVader - We will always remember.
Remain civil in the face of incivility, lest you be the barbarian.

Martinjwest
08.27.2013 , 02:10 PM | #16
Easy answer. Have a talent that costs 1 point to take and does the following: -

Removes hybrid tax on ability's for dps but removes all healing abilitys from class. Cannot have it both ways. Want the same dps then no healing whatsoever. Want to be able to heal and dps except you are not going to put out the same numbers.

ivanhedgehog
08.27.2013 , 02:16 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post

the problem is, the heals are pre nerfed..they are pretty much a waste of time already.

ishbindeinvater
08.27.2013 , 03:05 PM | #18
you ve clearly got a perception problem.

you have to play defensively and make them pay. just LOS and heal to full. why DPS when you can H2F?
ICH BIN DEIN VAAAATEERRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!

dakisback
08.27.2013 , 03:07 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Paladins in WoW can DPS or Heal as a role.
warlocks can only DPS as a role.
Paladins who DPS can match a warlock's DPS with a 5% margin up or down from patch to patch. This is done thru reiterative changes to abilities and with new items for both specs as they are on test server.
Blizzard believes the players will not tolerate anything beyond a 2% margin and shoots for that, but frequently has spillover by outliers.

Hybrids should be competitive, but currently aren't in SWTOR.
This isn't WoW
DakisbackMarkmanship Sniper Dakisbehindyou[AMR]Lethality Operative DakiscatImmortal Juggernaut Dakisaheadofyou Darkness Assassin
<The Revenant>
The Shadowlands

DOHboy
08.27.2013 , 03:15 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ishbindeinvater View Post
you ve clearly got a perception problem.

you have to play defensively and make them pay. just LOS and heal to full. why DPS when you can H2F?
please lets just give it a rest.