Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Players with a sense of entitlement

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Players with a sense of entitlement

ImpactHound's Avatar


ImpactHound
08.27.2013 , 01:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post

In short, you become a pain in the butt. You are so skilled that you have narrowed your focus to minutiae that, if the developers actually paid attention to you, would effectively ruin the game because they would be paying attention to these non-essential items no one cares about instead of the experience of the journeyman level players, the vast majority of whom don't really care about these issues. Nobody cares how many angels fit on the head of a pin. They care about a new planet.

And I think that's okay. A lot of SWTOR fans don't seem to understand where they are in the SWTOR Life Cycle. They seem to feel that they are going to be around forever and when they retire, forever more. They don't seem to realize what comes after "end game" is something else that is "not here." To think that the Expert Level player can be satisfied with this game for years to come is completely unrealistic. The developers need to realize this as well and not get sucked into interminable arguments on the number of angels on the head of a pin. They are prone to do this, too, because they are, after all, experts in how this game works.

What the developers SHOULD do (imho) is think of the player base as a moving target of people cycling through the stages where there are always newbies entering and always the experts who have reached end of game leaving. The concentration ought to be on making sure people make this trip from newbie to journeyman find the trip enjoyable.

In other words, it's okay to quit.
It matters how many angels fit on the head of a pin, because I may want to buy the cartel shrink, make an angel, and go to Pinhead Planet, and if I do I want to know how many other pinhead angel experts will be there with me with higher DPS to gank me while I try to finish that stupid weekly to collect elite rancor turds in the heroic 4 area.

Retention is important, the game is already set up as a revolving door with the launch content, but they're going to eventually run of players who are satisfied with the door and have a building not worth shopping in.

I post what I think needs to be fixed, because if it got fixed, I'd be in game longer and encourage my friends to be too. I want a sci-fi Star Wars game to be great, not mediocre. It's NOT okay to quit.

AGSThomas's Avatar


AGSThomas
08.27.2013 , 01:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
REread my post, in the context of an MMO... not Websters.

You are confusing "entitlement" with "sense of entitlement". I do not know if that is deliberate on your part or not. But there is a difference between what you are entitled to in playing an MMO and what your "sense of entitlement" is. They are different. You have consumer and commercial rights to the first, you have no rights to the second.. only feelings. The feelings are yours.. and they carry no commercial or consumer rights.
Most of you are missing the point of the post. The point is, The customer is always right and if BW wants to keep its subscribers it had better start listening to those players who are entitled to leave, because they are and will continue in droves if they feel they aren't being represented. Just like they did from Start to F2P.

Again - If we accept the phrase "The customer is always right" then by extension "The customer is entitled"
Medīvh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
Dīomedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
08.27.2013 , 01:09 PM | #23
I love people who use the word "entitled" incorrectly...that's pretty much EVERYONE on these forums who uses it.
All warfare is based on deception • If his forces are united, separate them • If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near • A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer • 7-day FREE sub • FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Corsiero's Avatar


Corsiero
08.27.2013 , 01:12 PM | #24
I disagree that the stories are similar and that different classes play the same. That's why I'm still going through the class stories after a year and a half playing this game. That's why I'm still trying to master every skill tree or hybrid a class has to offer. DPSing an operation is vastly different to tanking an operation to healing one. PvPing as an Operative is different from PvPing as a Juggernaut. If you have a short attention span then the game shouldn't be made to cater to these players because they don't stick around long enough to appreciate the game. It's just another game to them, just like the other 100 games they've played before that. I don't burn through games, I take my time and stick with the ones I enjoy the most.

Ebazinam's Avatar


Ebazinam
08.27.2013 , 01:13 PM | #25
The problem with building the average chair is that ithe average chair doesn't perfectly fit anyone. No one is average.

The same can be said about anything that is built for the masses. This game isn't really tailored for the individual....it's tailored to attract a multitude of players. It offers a lot of different forms of entertainment. PVE, PVP, space missions, completionist content, leveling content, interchangeble uniform pieces, interactive dialogue, and so on. All of which is built for the average player.

Maybe we can get something that is individually tailorable to the level that everyone desires. However, I don't think that any MMO can say that every part of their content is 100% individually tailorable.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
08.27.2013 , 01:16 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
Most of you are missing the point of the post. The point is, The customer is always right and if BW wants to keep its subscribers it had better start listening to those players who are entitled to leave, because they are and will continue in droves if they feel they aren't being represented. Just like they did from Start to F2P.

Again - If we accept the phrase "The customer is always right" then by extension "The customer is entitled"
The Customer is NOT always right. Every gaming forum is proof of this. Some customers are right some of the time.

Commercially speaking.. which I think is the way you are using the term.. a Customer knows what they want/don't_want and the customer chooses what they spend their money on.

"The Customer Is Always Right" is a meme used by customers to try to brow beat businesses into giving them what they want. Some businesses also use it to brow beat their employees to do whatever a customer wants so as to not lose a customer and is largely relevant to small businesses. Large businesses are savvy enough to know that there is no cost benefit to trying to make every customer happy (right). It is commercially impossible. Large businesses (even some small businesses) profile their customer base and design to the centerpoint of the customer base...knowing that corner case customers will likely fallout of their customer base. It's business. And in business.. it's actually OK to admit you cannot meet a customers needs and encourage them to shop elsewhere when that is in fact the case. AND NO.. I am not suggesting businesses are, or should be, dismissive to their customers needs/wants/desires... simply that no single company or product is right for every customer. Customers are a diverse demographic.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

AGSThomas's Avatar


AGSThomas
08.27.2013 , 01:19 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ebazinam View Post
The problem with building the average chair is that ithe average chair doesn't perfectly fit anyone. No one is average.

The same can be said about anything that is built for the masses. This game isn't really tailored for the individual....it's tailored to attract a multitude of players. It offers a lot of different forms of entertainment. PVE, PVP, space missions, completionist content, leveling content, interchangeble uniform pieces, interactive dialogue, and so on. All of which is built for the average player.

Maybe we can get something that is individually tailorable to the level that everyone desires. However, I don't think that any MMO can say that every part of their content is 100% individually tailorable.
Again, that's not the point. Although you are fully correct in your assessment of chairs, video games are something different entirely. Because they can be changed or expanded on without the same difficulty as redesigning a chair. As I said in my first point. The original SWTOR is the chair you allude to. Everything after the first month or two is listening to the masses and making the chair as cool as possible. If I just said, its my chair this is it take it or leave it. Most would leave it. And in a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game, that is catastrophic.
Medīvh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
Dīomedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
08.27.2013 , 01:19 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Ebazinam View Post
The problem with building the average chair is that ithe average chair doesn't perfectly fit anyone. No one is average.

The same can be said about anything that is built for the masses. This game isn't really tailored for the individual....it's tailored to attract a multitude of players. It offers a lot of different forms of entertainment. PVE, PVP, space missions, completionist content, leveling content, interchangeble uniform pieces, interactive dialogue, and so on. All of which is built for the average player.

Maybe we can get something that is individually tailorable to the level that everyone desires. However, I don't think that any MMO can say that every part of their content is 100% individually tailorable.
100% agree with your assessment.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.

AGSThomas's Avatar


AGSThomas
08.27.2013 , 01:24 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The Customer is NOT always right. Every gaming forum is proof of this. Some customers are right some of the time.

Commercially speaking.. which I think is the way you are using the term.. a Customer knows what they want/don't_want and the customer chooses what they spend their money on.

"The Customer Is Always Right" is a meme used by customers to try to brow beat businesses into giving them what they want. Some businesses also use it to brow beat their employees to do whatever a customer wants so as to not lose a customer and is largely relevant to small businesses. Large businesses are savvy enough to know that there is no cost benefit to trying to make every customer happy (right). It is commercially impossible. Large businesses (even some small businesses) profile their customer base and design to the centerpoint of the customer base...knowing that corner case customers will likely fallout of their customer base. It's business. And in business.. it's actually OK to admit you cannot meet a customers needs and encourage them to shop elsewhere when that is in fact the case. AND NO.. I am not suggesting businesses are, or should be, dismissive to their customers needs/wants/desires... simply that no single company or product is right for every customer. Customers are a diverse demographic.
As a business owner, if I want to make as much money as possible or even to survive I use the motto "The customer is always right." As I said before, if I take the stance of take it or leave it in my approach to sell as many copies of this game that I can, I'd be doing myself, my investors, my label, and my customers a great disservice. The individual customer is NOT always right, you are correct. The mass of customers ARE ALWAYS right.

When masses of customers say the Assassin class is broken and provide numerical proof, the developers are wrong to say L2P or wait it out. When you take this approach you alienate your own fan base.
Medīvh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
Dīomedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
08.27.2013 , 01:31 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
As a business owner, if I want to make as much money as possible or even to survive I use the motto "The customer is always right."
You are being idealistic. I am being pragmatic.

As a smart business owner.. you know when to cut your losses and not invest any further in a customer. It's not personal... it's pragmatic common sense. You won't spend endless resources to please one customer, or a segment of customers. You will spend money to please customers as long as it is profitable for you to do so. No business or product can be all things to all customers. This is especially true of entertainment products.. of which MMOs are part. Entertainment products center a market.. and gather as much of that center as they can. They hope to get some of the fringes by virtue of vacuum of momentum.. but they don't invest to get the fringes.
Judgments are often inaccurate because the brain relies on cognitive biases over hard evidence. Cognitive bias is the tendency to make irrational judgments in consistent patterns. Researchers have found that cognitive bias wreaks havoc by forcing people to make poor, irrational judgments.