Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Players with a sense of entitlement

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Players with a sense of entitlement

AGSThomas
08.27.2013 , 11:41 AM | #1
I want to talk a little about entitlement or the feeling thereof. I've heard a lot of people who answer complaints call said users "People who feel entitled but who actually are not" or some other version of this. While I understand, of course, this is Bioware's game and in a way, we as the users, are not entitled to have things be any other way other than theirs. This line of thinking, I believe is wrong and here's why.

1. BW is a creator of a product. This is the original game of SWTOR to which we owe no sense of entitlement. This was the vision of the developers and creators and it's entirely their product to make and say "Here. Take it and like it" Which many people did, myself included.

2. BW/EA is the creator of a service. Most MMOs require service to maintain and expand the game. An MMO must maintain a "fresh" feeling amongst its users. Without continual advancement of new concepts and content, the game would stagnate just like every single-player video game ever created. Ask yourself, how long you can play a single player game for without getting bored and moving on to the next? The answer, in industry terms, is about a month or two, depending on various factors.

It's this second point that allows us, as the customer, to dictate where we would like to see the game go. It's our interest in the original product that keeps this game going. Therefore, its in their best interests to make the broad amount of players happy or they will leave - Just as they did before F2P came out. People like to say the forums are the vast minority. Maybe in WoW this was true. Not in this game, or so I have noticed. Most of the complaints or arguments presented here are the same ones I see talked about in General and Guild chat. Maybe the forum users a bit more zealous about it, but the end result is the same: If the customer is not happy, they will not play.

TL/DR The sense of entitlement is justified.
Med´vh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
D´omedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

VitalityPrime
08.27.2013 , 11:43 AM | #2
I'm not going to say that the forums are a vast minority when it comes to certain topics...

...but the forums do represent a very small fraction of actual players.
"A great leap forward often requires first taking two steps back"
"And sometimes all it requires is the will to jump"

DOHboy
08.27.2013 , 11:46 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
I
Nope. Never. Needs to Stop.

AGSThomas
08.27.2013 , 11:53 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by VitalityPrime View Post
I'm not going to say that the forums are a vast minority when it comes to certain topics...

...but the forums do represent a very small fraction of actual players.
I disagree. I hear the same topics being discussed in general and guild chat. For example, our Off Tank is a sin. Hes not a forum user, but took one look at the patch notes and unsubbed. Most of the big arguments on here are shared by a chunk of the player base. Certainly not the small stuff like "MY LIGHTSABRE DOESN"T HAVE THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF GREEN BW LOL" But on huge balance issues or bugs, yes lot of people know about them.

Why do you think so many people left before F2P. They certainly weren't all forum users...
Med´vh - Deception Assassin (PvP DPS)
D´omedes - Vengeance Juggernaut (PvP DPS)
Server: 5 Prophecies

ELRunninW
08.27.2013 , 12:07 PM | #5
I do not think it matters either way. There is no way for players who have no access to these forums to express their sense of entitlement in any way.

ImpactHound
08.27.2013 , 12:09 PM | #6
Entitlement is the number one misused word on BioWare forums. People argue over its definition and application, and the whole thing has the unfortunate effect of smokescreening bad game design choices.

TheNahash
08.27.2013 , 12:25 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AGSThomas View Post
No, it isn't and your reasoning doesn't really justify that entitlement.

Every single player is entitled to their opinion and the things mentioned in the ToS - nothing less and nothing more. We are paying for very specific things and we can choose to end our subscription at any moment.
EA/BW is entitled to run their game the way they deem best.

If you ask 10 different forum users/players what they would like to see added/changed, you would hear 10 different opinions some of which would definitely contradict some of the others.

Entitlement is when someone thinks THEIR opinion is de facto the best "for the game's longevity" when in most cases it's (at best) just a personal preference. If you ask a PVPer you'll hear the game needs more PVP elements, if you ask a casual player you'll hear the game needs more solo-player stuff, if you ask a raider you'll hear complaints about rehashed content, if you ask a SWG fan you'll hear the game will die without Pazaak and so on and so forth.

It's EA/BW's job to determine what is best for the game and the way they will move on with it.
If they do it right, the game will thrive. If they get it wrong, the game will die. End of story.

Asking for things that are not part of your "contract" with someone is entitlement.
They might decide to give them to you if they consider them to be in their best interest in the long run, but they are in no way obligated to do so.
Master Kalchas Captain SantÚ
Darth DÝrge Agent HÚretic

CosmicKat
08.27.2013 , 12:26 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ImpactHound View Post
Entitlement is the number one misused word on BioWare forums. People argue over its definition and application, and the whole thing has the unfortunate effect of smokescreening bad game design choices.
Ding ding. We have a winner.

An MMO should have many months, if not years of playable content.

The fact that TOR (or any other MMO) can be compared directly to any solo game in terms of length of play is a giant red flag that the game is not designed as an MMO.

"Entitlement" is one of those ******** political buzzwords used to denigrate and insult those with opposing views. It has lots of syllables so those who use it must be smart!

DOHboy
08.27.2013 , 12:32 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post

The fact that TOR (or any other MMO) can be compared directly to any solo game in terms of length of play is a giant red flag that the game is not designed as an MMO.
Yes 8 unique "single player" stories, and two classes per story, along with 3 different trees per class as well as 3 different "options per story" (light/dark/neutral) make this a true single player game that is played once and never picked up again.

ImpactHound
08.27.2013 , 12:33 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post

An MMO should have many months, if not years of playable content.

"Entitlement" is one of those ******** political buzzwords used to denigrate and insult those with opposing views. It has lots of syllables so those who use it must be smart!
It was a painfully effective word in deflecting criticisms of Mass Effect 3's shoehorned multiplayer, storyline endings, and devaluation of "choices that mattered" in previous games most of all. I'm upset that the word is still in their toolkit.