Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Bioware AUSTIN has some PR issues right now.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Bioware AUSTIN has some PR issues right now.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
08.30.2013 , 05:50 PM | #361
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey dscount,

I can completely appreciate the request, it is just not something that we would do. Internally, it isn't like we have a meeting once a week to discuss things like this where I can come out of the meeting and provide an update. Part of it is that even if changes were to come for Sorcerers/Sages, they would not be coming for some time. As we have stated we are not really planning any big balance changes coming in to 2.4.

What I can say is that I will provide you all with updates as I have them. It just wouldn't be logical that every week I came on the forums and said "still no updates, check back next week!" I know it can be hard sometimes but I assure you that things like this don't fall off my radar and I am always eager to deliver you all updates as I have them.

As an example, I can assure you Assassins and Shadows have not been forgotten, I just don't have any new updates. We are still actively having discussions about all classes and their balance but I wont pass that on until we have things locked down and more concrete.

-eric
If you don't want to post week after week "nope still no update!" then make the devs GIVE you one. It's been over 7 weeks now since you said you were going to look into it. Has it honestly taken you two months to look through all the data? After two months you have absolutely nothing you can say? What in God's name are you talking about? How much more awesome double bladed lightsabers look?

I'm sorry, but considering last week's sorc/VG answers, I have to say I don't believe you. You want us to believe you're constantly "actively having discussions about all classes and their balance" and then you come back with the trash that was last week's answers? You spend over 7 weeks talking about shadow tanks and you have absolutely nothing? Not even a "We've looked into it and it is an issue but we aren't sure how to fix it"?

This leads me to believe the devs are either liars, and paying you to lie for them, or incompetent. Which conclusion should I draw Eric?
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
08.30.2013 , 10:42 PM | #362
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
If you don't want to post week after week "nope still no update!" then make the devs GIVE you one.
Community team is lower on the totem pole than any of the developers, they can't make them do anything.

Quote:
It's been over 7 weeks now since you said you were going to look into it. Has it honestly taken you two months to look through all the data? After two months you have absolutely nothing you can say? What in God's name are you talking about? How much more awesome double bladed lightsabers look?
As frustrating as it is, some companies have strict NDA rules about content that sometimes don't seem to make much sense, because it's a big lumbering corporation that has rules and regulations that need to be followed. They aren't lying to you, they aren't not doing it just because they're lazy or want to annoy you, they're just working within a set of corporate rules that have been passed down from executives that may not necessarily even be in touch with the development team in any way.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
08.30.2013 , 11:42 PM | #363
I do think a few things about this...just my opinion mind you, which in the end means next to nothing.

1) The PVP population is hardly a majority of the playerbase in this game, so claiming that a lack of good PVP will kill this game is pretty silly IMO.

2) Bioware could have handled this better IMO.

3) Despite the likely fact that the PVP community is a small part of the gaming community at large, PVP is still important and all players are important....but....

4)....the entire game must be considered when looking at balance IMO, not just PVP. Making changes that benefit PVP at the expense of the majority of remaining players is crazy at best....certainly not a wise move. Many game companies have already learned this lesson the hard way.

There are folks that say the game should be balanced around PVP, or that PVP changes always benefit the entire game. Both claims are completely baseless IMO.

It seems it is pretty difficult for the PVP community to accept that it might be possible that PVP changes are not going to be made until consideration is made for the rest of the game, and that is probably going to take time.

PVP folks have not been treated well here. That much is obvious, and I think they deserve some recognition and content...they DO NOT, however, deserve to control or dominate the balance conversation in this game IMO...not by a long shot.

HoboWithAStick's Avatar


HoboWithAStick
08.31.2013 , 03:14 PM | #364
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
Just to throw this in : Eric said at the Cantina event in Germany that they are well aware of the mistake Blizzard did with wow and their arenas.
He said that the mistake was to balance the classes around / for the arenas.
And this is something Bioware wants to avoid.
So I have it in my memory.
Biowares solution is just to never do balance !

Nempo's Avatar


Nempo
08.31.2013 , 04:48 PM | #365
Really? Sorcs are complaigning about damage or survivability?

My sorc regularly hits 400-600k damage in any warzone AND 150-300k healing done. It is not hard. DoT spec built properly can be a near unstopable plague an enemy team's healer has no chance at stopping all the while every crit of my DoT's is healing me constantly. Bubble melee allies jumping intot he thick of it and tossing out the occasional quick heal when an ally is getting pummeled.

Sorc's are flexable and all specs CAN heal. Not prolonged constant healing but if you are DoT or lightning spec you can easily heal, use 2 damage skills thata re specced to regen energy, heal, use one dmg regen, heal, use 2 dmg regen, heal....cycle back and forth and you won't run out of energy all while helping your allies.

If you are lightning spec complaining that you are a glass cannon, you are foolish. The entire spec is designed to make you a cannon (and any lightning spec that is allowed to free cast WILL destroy a team) but your durability is near zero for that purpose. The problem is you aren't smart in your positioning nore in your moving fromt hat position after a few shots so people don't SEE you just standing still and free casting.

Yes, a sorc can "heal to full" using the freebie self heal, smart bubbles, and smart use of cycling skills. No, you cannot "heal to full" while under direct attack. Guess what? Neither can any heal spec out there. Any class I play, if I lock down a healer their health will inevitably shrink, it is all about smart use of interpts and knowing to ignore the fast cast weak heal a single damage skill can undo but to save it for the bigger cast heals they will be forced to rely on. I've seen backstab spec ops regularly break line of sight, use a few HoTs, wait a few seconds keeping LoS broken before getting back into a fight...it is called smart fighting. They heal to full while regnerating energy ontop of it all without breaking combat. You all just got butthurt over assuming "heal to full" means while under direct attack.

You ARE capable of healing to full assuming you break LoS, I do it all the time while my DoTs eat away at the enemy. Really, the problem is with your tactics for the class choice. If you want to stand still and unload...sniper/merc is your choice with a far stronger lean on sniper. Oh...but then you couldn't respec to heal on raids huh? Boo hoo...use different characters for different things.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...do not ask for class balance from the general population, none of them are honestly interested in balance, they want more than balance when the balance exists, it just doesn't fit with their chosen playstyle which may not fit the class they choose to play.
"I am not driven by hatred. I am not driven by fear.
I am not driven by desire, duty, or any rationale. I can no longer feel any of these.
All that remains is Retribution; Cold and hard and final..."

Klarick's Avatar


Klarick
08.31.2013 , 05:18 PM | #366
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I have no comment or opinion on a "hybrid" tax or no hybrid tax on the part of devs. It's a pointless discussion designed to create argument IMO.. as there is always a trade-off in hybrid classes in MMOs in my experience.
Statement 1 + Opinion 1 = Oxymoron.

Klarick -- Healing PUGS since 16 March 1999

HoboWithAStick's Avatar


HoboWithAStick
08.31.2013 , 05:23 PM | #367
Quote: Originally Posted by Nempo View Post
Really? Sorcs are complaigning about damage or survivability?

My sorc regularly hits 400-600k damage in any warzone AND 150-300k healing done. It is not hard. DoT spec built properly can be a near unstopable plague an enemy team's healer has no chance at stopping all the while every crit of my DoT's is healing me constantly. Bubble melee allies jumping intot he thick of it and tossing out the occasional quick heal when an ally is getting pummeled.

Sorc's are flexable and all specs CAN heal. Not prolonged constant healing but if you are DoT or lightning spec you can easily heal, use 2 damage skills thata re specced to regen energy, heal, use one dmg regen, heal, use 2 dmg regen, heal....cycle back and forth and you won't run out of energy all while helping your allies.

If you are lightning spec complaining that you are a glass cannon, you are foolish. The entire spec is designed to make you a cannon (and any lightning spec that is allowed to free cast WILL destroy a team) but your durability is near zero for that purpose. The problem is you aren't smart in your positioning nore in your moving fromt hat position after a few shots so people don't SEE you just standing still and free casting.

Yes, a sorc can "heal to full" using the freebie self heal, smart bubbles, and smart use of cycling skills. No, you cannot "heal to full" while under direct attack. Guess what? Neither can any heal spec out there. Any class I play, if I lock down a healer their health will inevitably shrink, it is all about smart use of interpts and knowing to ignore the fast cast weak heal a single damage skill can undo but to save it for the bigger cast heals they will be forced to rely on. I've seen backstab spec ops regularly break line of sight, use a few HoTs, wait a few seconds keeping LoS broken before getting back into a fight...it is called smart fighting. They heal to full while regnerating energy ontop of it all without breaking combat. You all just got butthurt over assuming "heal to full" means while under direct attack.

You ARE capable of healing to full assuming you break LoS, I do it all the time while my DoTs eat away at the enemy. Really, the problem is with your tactics for the class choice. If you want to stand still and unload...sniper/merc is your choice with a far stronger lean on sniper. Oh...but then you couldn't respec to heal on raids huh? Boo hoo...use different characters for different things.

I've said it before, I'll say it again...do not ask for class balance from the general population, none of them are honestly interested in balance, they want more than balance when the balance exists, it just doesn't fit with their chosen playstyle which may not fit the class they choose to play.
This is all fine for casual pvp or casual pvp were the expectation for damage is not that high. When you get into ranked or Hardcore pve all those self heals go out the window. First off dps sorcs are the worst ranged dps in the game right now, no argument there its just true. Having no cooldown and now having that expectation to heal yourself makes you even worse off in the dps department.

Dps Mercs can heal, as a matter of fact their heals are even faster then a sorcs and they currently have 2 cooldowns and are getting another 1! Dps mercs also have better dps then sorcs and also have heavy armor. So clearly heals are not meant to be part of your survival but since the combat team doesn't wanna do anything thats just what they are going to say.

Dps Sins are fine too right? 400-500 or more behind marauders or snipers on almost every pve fight, but its okay because they have stealth

IronmanSS's Avatar


IronmanSS
08.31.2013 , 05:32 PM | #368
Quote: Originally Posted by HoboWithAStick View Post
Biowares solution is just to never do balance !
C'mon now, this is a bold-faced lie. They have consistently found a way to buff the FOTM (or is it FOTY now) classes. And you must know that the Marauder QoL buffs and the lack of offensive CDs for Snipers are priority fixes that simply must be addressed lest the entire game remain broken for longer than necessary.

If you think about the big picture though, it all makes sense: there are too many ACs and specs to balance properly, and with the current skeleton crew working diligently at their current pace... Yeah, its so not happening. So, if you just let all the underperforming specs simply wither and die, then you can pare things down and concentrate on the AC's you want to continue to support moving forward..

It will be a ton easier to balance both PvE content and PvP arenas if you know all that's left to work with is Jugg tanks, Mara/Sniper DPS, and Op healers.
Sulvira - Sith Assassin <E>

dscount's Avatar


dscount
09.26.2013 , 05:15 PM | #369
Well... kind of confirms what I thought...

They don't care.

Been almost a month and we have not seen anything back, not even a simple update beyond REP system went into the drink.
Reference Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/FDltnT (BW Details > HERE )
WTB Legacy Bound Ear, Implants, Relics

I'm not asking for much.... maybe some Cake too...

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
09.26.2013 , 07:32 PM | #370
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
Well... kind of confirms what I thought...

They don't care.

Been almost a month and we have not seen anything back, not even a simple update beyond REP system went into the drink.
They announced class reps two days ago. Not something that can be developed over night.

Perhaps not discussion, but actions always speak better then words.
May the Schwartz be with you....