Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Playing SWTOR

Jagemakage
08.20.2013 , 09:11 AM | #1
Is there any way to play this game without putting the files into Program files? I'm at work and can't access the program files on my computer, but have nothing to do...

Maybe this is a dumb question...

VitalityPrime
08.20.2013 , 09:13 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Jagemakage View Post
Is there any way to play this game without putting the files into Program files? I'm at work and can't access the program files on my computer, but have nothing to do...

Maybe this is a dumb question...
Why would you play this game at work?

Also, what work do you do that you have such a good gaming comp there?
"A great leap forward often requires first taking two steps back"
"And sometimes all it requires is the will to jump"

Jagemakage
08.20.2013 , 09:18 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by VitalityPrime View Post
Why would you play this game at work?

Also, what work do you do that you have such a good gaming comp there?
Can we have answers that directly focus on the post and not unnecessary comments, thanks

VitalityPrime
08.20.2013 , 09:19 AM | #4
Can we have answers that directly focus on the post and not unnecessary comments, thanks
Those were questions...not comments.

Anyways, point taken.
"A great leap forward often requires first taking two steps back"
"And sometimes all it requires is the will to jump"

psandak
08.20.2013 , 11:20 AM | #5
As the files can be copied and pasted into and out of folders for the purposes of backup, I would think that all you would have to do is paste the files into any location and then create a shortcut to the launcher in that location. If that does not work then there is obviously some hard coded location information in the launcher program and then the answer is "sorry you are SOL."

rjcooper
08.20.2013 , 11:44 AM | #6
I haven't tried with SW:TOR but years ago back with vanilla WoW I used to have a copy of the game on a thumb drive so I could play during class or in the computer rec room between classes at college. You could try making a copy of the SW:TOR directory and placing it on a large thumb drive or external hard-drive. Just be aware it may be slow to load, and when ever you update with a patch you might have to recopy the directory to the drive.
----------------// \\----------------
"For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us… and binds us. Luminous beings are we." ―Yoda to Luke

mike_is_valid
08.20.2013 , 07:26 PM | #7
you can copy your SWTOR folder to a small usb hard disk and start it from there, no problem at all. Play it all the time from my office comp.

Jagemakage
08.22.2013 , 07:00 AM | #8
Thanks so much for the help. Really excellent advise, wish I had seen this sooner!

Jagemakage
08.22.2013 , 09:00 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by mike_is_valid View Post
you can copy your SWTOR folder to a small usb hard disk and start it from there, no problem at all. Play it all the time from my office comp.
Ok, I'm going to try it in a little bit, if anyone would like to expand on this i.e. does it require an install after the files are transferred? Because sometimes you have to reinstall the game over the transferred files to have it work correctly.

We'll see what happens.

Dallayna
08.22.2013 , 10:53 AM | #10
Ok, I'm going to try it in a little bit, if anyone would like to expand on this i.e. does it require an install after the files are transferred? Because sometimes you have to reinstall the game over the transferred files to have it work correctly.

We'll see what happens.
I've got some games that I had to install to my thumbdrive at home that worked at- well, work. You could try that too. Let me know how it goes because I'm a bit curious myself! I mean, at the very least, I could craft during the slow times!

I Defeat Enemies Endless! Add Another!