Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling with a partner? Good, Bad or Doesn't matter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Leveling with a partner? Good, Bad or Doesn't matter?

CounterSnipe
07.25.2013 , 08:40 AM | #1
Me and my girlfriend have both recently started playing SWTOR. Being our first characters, we have finally met up and started leveling together doing similar quests on each planet and splitting up to do our story class quests when need be. My main question is really what the benefits are vs. the downsides of leveling together like this. For one I see no change in the EXP we gain as the quests happen faster and it's just much more fun to have a partner with you throughout the quests. Also the social aspect gaining social points for the conversations. Not to mention we always have a group of 2 already for Heroics. I just want to know if we're missing something that may influence us to continue or not?

Gloomycakes
07.25.2013 , 08:48 AM | #2
Teaming up only has benefits. Like you said you're already 2 for Heroics and Flashpoints (most you can even chose to do those with 2, but why ruin the fun of teaming up.) Everything is faster, especially if you split up for classquests. The experience you gain whilst teamed up is definitly not lower than when you do things solo, someone even told me it's higher, I never really bothered testing. Social points is a nice bonus aswell.

Only possible downside is that some content becomes (even) easier, but I'd say the joys of teaming up balances that out quite well, if not you can always dismiss the companions.

Bioware really promotes teamplay, you also get bonusses for being in a guild for that reason.

Have fun leveling.

PS: Not that this should occur if you do everything together, but try your best staying at the same level. Experience rewards do change depending on which colour your quest is and same for killing foes. All in all if someone outlevels the other, this is a problem that will stay. (Higher level causes decreased XP-gain, resulting in the lower level staying underleveled.) My boyfriend and I had that issue since I did a warzone or 2 each day before he logged on.

ScarletBlaze
07.25.2013 , 08:49 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by CounterSnipe View Post
Me and my girlfriend have both recently started playing SWTOR. Being our first characters, we have finally met up and started leveling together doing similar quests on each planet and splitting up to do our story class quests when need be. My main question is really what the benefits are vs. the downsides of leveling together like this. For one I see no change in the EXP we gain as the quests happen faster and it's just much more fun to have a partner with you throughout the quests. Also the social aspect gaining social points for the conversations. Not to mention we always have a group of 2 already for Heroics. I just want to know if we're missing something that may influence us to continue or not?
Note: You do not have to split up to do your class quests. A friend of mine levels with her b/f and they do the class quests together.

I have a sage and knight that I level with someone and we do my class quests together as well as doing his. For me the benefits of leveling together are much more than just xp. You never have to worried about being bored and you always have someone with you which is more fun. I have leveled a shadow solo and I find I have more fun leveling with someone than I ever did solo.

When the quests get harder you will always have someone there to help and yea you have two people there for heroics which helps.

I have another friend that runs dailys with her b/f and she says it goes faster and she enjoys it more.
A southern girl is a girl who knows full well that she can open a door for herself but prefers for the gentleman to do it because it demonstrates a sense of respect. Current Guild Roleplay: A Time for Renewal[ https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...ps/sK3jz376Zu8

Khenti
07.25.2013 , 10:33 AM | #4
I play solo and with my partner. IMO its more fun. As the others have said, it goes faster and is not as boring.

Eugee
07.25.2013 , 02:21 PM | #5
I leveled my Shadow from 1 to 50 with my brother's Sentinel; we did every single quest together--which was hilariously fun.

I also leveled my Trooper from 1-50 with a friend on his Trooper as well; that was probably the most fun I had leveling, as we really WERE Havoc Squad with 4 armored guys running around constantly. We both did Commando damage, I used Forex and he used Dorn. We facerolled normal quests, barely paused for Heroic-2s, and even did all Heroic-4s without much trouble.

When you are both the same basic class though, remember than on Class missions, when you go into the instanced section, the first person to enter will spawn the mission for them only. When you finish you have to come back out then go back in to do the second instance so you both get credit.

Bomyne
07.25.2013 , 02:31 PM | #6
Honestly, playing with the same class can be bad. You have to complete every story instance twice and it can get boring and repetitive to watch the same story over and over, even if you are playing different alignments.

But if you play two different classes, it can be quite fun. Excluding the sentinel and Gunslinger, you are both capable of different roles, so if you ever find yourself struggling or just want a change of pace, Guardian, Vanguard and Shadows can go tank, Commando, Scoundrals and Sages can go healer. You can also level though instances that way, one of you tank, the other heals and the group finder picks the remaining two members.

Replace class names in this post with empire names if Imperial.
"Sometimes, The obvious choice is the wrong choice."

Hassat-Hunter
07.25.2013 , 04:59 PM | #7
I'd always play with my friend.
Yes, first run was Shadow/Shadow. So we kinda just did class instances seperate at the same time. But afterwards always 2 different classes, so we could see 2 stories in one run. Of course achievements and bonusses don't take into account having seen the others story.

And I would say, if it wasn't for playing together, I wouldn't play TOR now, cause it's just so much more fun, and the double damage from being with 2 helps going to otherwise super-boring thrash at a proper amount. And that's with a friend, I can assume it gets even better with your girlfriend.

In short; If I would have played solo, I would have stopped playing a year ago. Since I don't, I still play.
I think that's far more a "good or bad" decision than wheter or not the XP matches up.

Sarielle
07.25.2013 , 05:34 PM | #8
I feel like Bioware deliberately inflated mobs' HP to encourage grouping. While soloing isn't hard, it can be really tedious. That may be inflated by the fact that I usually play, and level as, healers, but I'm not the only one to think time to kill is too high on otherwise easy mobs.
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

JediCounsular
07.25.2013 , 06:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Gloomycakes View Post
Teaming up only has benefits. Like you said you're already 2 for Heroics and Flashpoints...
Bioware really promotes teamplay, you also get bonuses for being in a guild for that reason.
We see this alot in our guild, and even promote working /leveling together. It helps so everyone can actually learn about the other classes and abilities.
Quote:
Note: You do not have to split up to do your class quests. A friend of mine levels with her b/f and they do the class quests together
I agree.
Quote:
Only possible downside is that some content becomes (even) easier, but I'd say the joys of teaming up balances that out quite well, if not you can always dismiss the companions
Not true. Some content, especially when grouped in instanced areas, can have more mobs than someone running solo through the same instanced area. At higher levels, this becomes more prevalent, as the instances go up in difficulty according to the group size.

Also, with the addition of the achievement section, you can share kills that are killed while in group, thereby making it easier to get all the planetary kill collections done.

Personally, what are you missing out on, by grouping? Nothing really, Having fun with a comrade, and learning more about your toons and that of others can be very rewarding if you take the time to notice. Have fun !!!
THE COVENANT OF TYTHON ~ THE SOVEREIGN ELITE
The Ebon Hawk server, our roleplay home since March.22, 2011.

Panakuva
07.26.2013 , 09:15 AM | #10
I think team play is the best thing about MMO's I can't see any negatives of teaming up with someone else specially close friends or 'lovers'
Pana'kuva
Imperial Agent Sniper of Red Eclipse Server