Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Taunt and PvP tanking

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Taunt and PvP tanking

theUndead
07.20.2013 , 07:03 PM | #1
Hey guys

Now I do not post in the PvP forums very much but I read something about a week ago that interested me and I wanted to hear the opinions of experienced PvPers. Anyway, so about a week ago I was browsing the suggestion forums where I stumbled upon a thread detailing with taunts in PvP and how tanks have a very little role to play In PvP.

Naturally I disagreed but the poster was saying that currently in PvP all taunt does is mitigate damage which to me is actually good but then he went onto talk about what he called "proper" PvP tanking which meant that if he had his way taunt would actually force players to attack the person who was taunting. Again personally I do not think this would be a very good thing but I am wondering what you all think about it.

Basically should tanks in PvP actually be able to tank players with force able taunts? Tell me your thoughts.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

TheCourier-
07.20.2013 , 07:07 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
Hey guys

Now I do not post in the PvP forums very much but I read something about a week ago that interested me and I wanted to hear the opinions of experienced PvPers. Anyway, so about a week ago I was browsing the suggestion forums where I stumbled upon a thread detailing with taunts in PvP and how tanks have a very little role to play In PvP.

Naturally I disagreed but the poster was saying that currently in PvP all taunt does is mitigate damage which to me is actually good but then he went onto talk about what he called "proper" PvP tanking which meant that if he had his way taunt would actually force players to attack the person who was taunting. Again personally I do not think this would be a very good thing but I am wondering what you all think about it.

Basically should tanks in PvP actually be able to tank players with force able taunts? Tell me your thoughts.
Tanks are already super strong at PVP. Guard should redirect 25% of damage, not 50%.

Stavroz
07.20.2013 , 07:11 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by TheCourier- View Post
Tanks are already super strong at PVP. Guard should redirect 25% of damage, not 50%.
Actually i think guard should redirect 30% of damage and taunts should mitigate 50%.
Quote: Originally Posted by Recon_Grim View Post
It's the talent in the concealment tree called "Clandestine QQ" that gives Backstab a 1/2% chance to instantly unsub the target, and a 50/100% chance to stunlock their entire computer.

theUndead
07.20.2013 , 07:13 PM | #4
Do you guys think taunts should force players to attack the tank? That is kind of what I am asking.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
As theUndead mentioned, I can't exactly spell out all of our policies in depth, but that should hopefully cover your concerns.

Raazmir
07.20.2013 , 07:37 PM | #5
I just think guard and taunt shouldn't stack. Guard, OR taunt.
Mk'dermott 55 Sniper
Makkant 55 powertech

Banderal
07.20.2013 , 07:48 PM | #6
I think no (taunt should not make others attack you). I mostly tank, but this game has enough ways to make you lose control of your toon IMO.
Flintstones, Jetsons, Cry'MeAnOcean - Harbringer

DarthVenomous
07.20.2013 , 07:59 PM | #7
As a pure PVP tank, this idea is WAY too easy to exploit. Two exampes:

#1) Voidstar - I am on a ledge and my opponent is on the other angle of the ledge. If I hit taunt and he is a melee, is he to run directly towards me and make himself fall in to the pit?

#2) Huttball - My opponent is the ball carrier and headed towards my endzone, would taunting make him turn around and head back towards center in order to attack me?. If I taunt him after he crosses a flame jet, if he is melee will he turn around and walk through the fire to attack me OR if he is ranged, will he set up his cover right there on the flame vent?

The damage reduction is a great idea to make taunting useful in pvp. Losing control of a character would be too easy for exploits. The only alternative idea I could have is that the opponent(s) wipe their current selected target and now target the tank who taunted. That way they have to [Tab] back to their original target or mouse-click them again.

Just my 2 credits

Darth Enrage @ Ebon Hawk
55 Assassin PVP Tank

kweassa
07.20.2013 , 08:21 PM | #8
Been there, done that.

It's a superbly terrible idea.

Ask your friend if he ever played City of Heroes.
"90% of PvP complaints come from people that are thoroughly unqualified to comment about anything in the first place. Stop assuming that you are a good player, then an answer will come; why you die so often, why you are CCd so often, and why you complain about healers so often - You're simply a bad player. Harsh truth."

JP_Legatus
07.20.2013 , 09:15 PM | #9
Tanking is fine the way it is
Plaje - 55 Assassin Sorcheals - 55 Sorcerer
TheHulkk - 55 Juggernaut Riksa - 55 Marauder
Ophealing - 55 Operative Lolsniper - 55 Sniper
Overpoweredtech - 29 Powertech The Bastion http://www.twitch.tv/plajje

Zoom_VI
07.20.2013 , 09:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JP_Legatus View Post
Tanking is fine the way it is
This.

Tanks are actually Tanky now compard to pre 2.0 wher they just lived an extra two gcds over dps, and serve a important group role beyond ball carrier.

Most of the nerf tanks thread stem from dps Heroes flipping out that they can't burn something down easily..
Crinn

Sanity is for the weak minded.