Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are warzones just a fotm fest???

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Are warzones just a fotm fest???

pyromaniatic
07.19.2013 , 10:32 PM | #11
people still whine about rage spec? BW if you actually read the forums.. please make sure you take the advice from the experienced...

MarkXXIV
07.19.2013 , 10:51 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by pyromaniatic View Post
people still whine about rage spec? BW if you actually read the forums.. please make sure you take the advice from the experienced...
experienced, that people agree with. Not the guy with 10 55 who says pt is better than ever and it is just learn2play.
Mains: Hesrafow(smash): 55 Se'ziru: 55(mm/lethal)
^Only Dps worth playing,WTB Op Medic The Bastion
Zrarron 54 Sorcerer(scheduled for deletion)
Yudoda 54 Mercenary(perma shelfed) unsubbed/quitted until a fix

kweassa
07.20.2013 , 12:18 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkXXIV View Post
Most of the people who regularly use the forums know what they are talking about. There are some people who have all the credentials but are awful and say everything is learn2play like 1.7 merc but there are not many people like this. There are a lot of random people who complain about assassins or merc being op and don't really know the game but people who regularly use the forums aren't usually like that. I could be wrong but that is what I think and I think listening to players is better than letting a class be underpowered/overpowered for 6months+ at a time.
Most of the people who've ever played PVP for any serious length of time, know that the PvP boards and forums are home to the whiniest bunch of gasbags and ego-driven terribads when it comes to "balance". Happens in every PvP forum of every game that features player-vs-player combat, be it a martial arts fighting game, a combat aerial simulator, DOTA or LOL style games, FPS games, etc etc..

"Know the game?" *snort* Bull*hit as bull*hit can ever be. If those whiners really "know" the game so well, how come they can't pull off the simplest counter-measures or solutions to a problem presented, when even a mediocre player such as myself can?

Every single person you claim that they "know the game", including yourself, shows classic signs of PVP forum buffoons who's got no clue how the actual mechanics of the games work. Every "problem" people like you mention, we give working solutions we use everyday. Have you even tried any single one of them in earnest? Do you think people like us can just read something and pull it off at-the-moment easily? Do you have any idea how much time we spend in practicing something to get it right and make it happen in real combat? How much experimentation we do to solve a given problem??

You guys have this nasty tendency to bring out every "perceived problem" and use it as a reason to explain why you cannot beat someone. You blame everything, except yourselves, when in reality the human factor is always the largest factor that determines success or failure. That's where your problem starts.

Suck up the egos and see yourselves as how you really are, only after admitting the suckage, you are truly motivated in to becoming better. The longer you stay in these forums spewing out crap and luring new players into thinking ridiculous conspiracy theories, the more pathetic you become. Everyone else moves on, learns to become better, and enjoy the game as it is -- except yourself.
"90% of PvP complaints come from people that are thoroughly unqualified to comment about anything in the first place. Stop assuming that you are a good player, then an answer will come; why you die so often, why you are CCd so often, and why you complain about healers so often - You're simply a bad player. Harsh truth."

DarthMaulUK
07.20.2013 , 12:19 AM | #14
Can you image just how bad Arenas will be?
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

DarthMaulUK
07.20.2013 , 12:21 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by pyromaniatic View Post
I dont think the OP is one about one spec but its when you come up against a bunch of the same spec class(smashers/bubble popping Sages/Sorc) - it just makes the game unplayable. Unfortunately, I dont think there's enough people in the game to have pvp limit the warzones to 2 max of each class
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

ThorgrimLutgen
07.20.2013 , 12:23 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MarkXXIV View Post
If they would read the forums once in a while they might do a better job. It is well known that operative healer, healer in general, rage, and sniper dps are too strong. It is also well known that many dps specs are lacking in pvp.
This is not correct.

If they read the forums and acted upon the whining, then the game would simply turn into a game for people who cannot pvp with any degree of credibility.

Regarding DPS specs being lacking.

I don't really play dps in any game, I prefer healing and tanking. I did however, roll an assault commando (probably the weakest of all pvp dps specs at the time) and infiltration shadow (also pretty crap at the time, though they seem to be gaining in popularity) at launch also. You can probably tell I don't play them much (not max level) due to me personally finding dps gameplay dull.

That said, when I do pvp with them, I really do not see the issue. If I focus the correct target, I am generally successful in either killing the target or at least making the healer refocus to avoiding me. Do bare in mind that I am actually clueless when it comes to playing a dps character, but, I have to say, it is no way shape or form difficult, if you use your common sense on what your objectives are. The thing above all things I try to avoid doing, is running around aimlessly, attacking all and every target, you really will achieve nothing that way.

What I cannot do, is have the same survivability as my defence specced guardian, surely that's obvious to even the slowest pve player dipping their foot in the pvp waters?
Want to fix ranked PVP? Cross-server/faction queues, bring back 8v8s, remove bolster from all ranked play, add a 2018 expertise gate, remove ranked commendations from all non-ranked play, including the 3:1 conversion.

falcon_Xtreme
07.20.2013 , 02:15 AM | #17
Quote:
<snip> .. "Know the game?" *snort* Bull*hit as bull*hit can ever be. If those whiners really "know" the game so well, how come they can't pull off the simplest counter-measures or solutions to a problem presented, when even a mediocre player such as myself can?

Every single person you claim that they "know the game", including yourself, shows classic signs of PVP forum buffoons who's got no clue how the actual mechanics of the games work. Every "problem" people like you mention, we give working solutions we use everyday. Have you even tried any single one of them in earnest? Do you think people like us can just read something and pull it off at-the-moment easily? Do you have any idea how much time we spend in practicing something to get it right and make it happen in real combat? How much experimentation we do to solve a given problem??

You guys have this nasty tendency to bring out every "perceived problem" and use it as a reason to explain why you cannot beat someone. You blame everything, except yourselves, when in reality the human factor is always the largest factor that determines success or failure. That's where your problem starts.

Suck up the egos and see yourselves as how you really are, only after admitting the suckage, you are truly motivated in to becoming better. The longer you stay in these forums spewing out crap and luring new players into thinking ridiculous conspiracy theories, the more pathetic you become. Everyone else moves on, learns to become better, and enjoy the game as it is -- except yourself.
The more i play this game. The more I see what you mention is true. (its frustrating but rewarding). I've played every class to a minimum lvl 50 ( except trooper) and i've played both sides of the advanced class for half of those also. ( to a minimum of lvl 50)

I still struggle with certain combinations of pvp enemies, where I run in and expect to spew off my rotation that's served me well before and i want to own the enemy, and doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result has nothing to do with class balance, but my failure as a player.

take this example, a single sorc defending a node outlasting my dps with self heals and ten second god mode, whilst i'm on my scoundrel left standing there with no energy.. looking like a tool, getting emote mocked in pvp.
put me in a dark place full of nerd rage.

but instead of crying foul, and nerf sage/sorc. (which was my first ,second and third ideas) I practiced how to combat the class by delaying my burst, keeping dots applied, anticipating force run so i could snare and stop them running and healing, cleansing debuffs. saving my interrupts to coincide with my burst. watching resolve fills and calling out for help on the s.o.a.b priority target. marking the necessary target for death, i now do not waste a single unit of energy when god bubbles up, i'm constantly looking at my foes buff bars and watching for bubble expiration and my dot expiration so i can reapply efficiently and open up with some dps and so on and so on....

its not a quick fix, but i see improvement in the way i play, and success follows a lot more. i'm refining my methods and react better to situational factors (what classes and what player numbers are in my face and what can i do about it?), and all those issues that i saw before as class balance problems .. start to fade away. its this type of logic/commitment i apply to all my characters and the way i want to play them.

its a slow process on some of the classes that i don't enjoy as much but its not impossible. it just takes time and effort, learning how to play your own character against multiple foe types to its maximum ability is how those pugs can knock those big bad premades off the pvp perch.

im not saying class balance problems do not exist. just that half of them tend to be resolved with a little bit of teamwork and l2p efforts.
REDZONE & PROUD!

Vasagi
07.20.2013 , 02:42 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by kweassa View Post
Most of the people who've ever played PVP for any serious length of time, know that the PvP boards and forums are home to the whiniest bunch of gasbags and ego-driven terribads... blah blah elitist rhetoric blah... quack quack baddies learn2play quack...
I have a firm belief that mmos have a business model of purposely leaving classes out of balance so that it requires any "serious" pvpers to reroll and regear every 6 months or so when "rebalancing" occurs. WoW started it, and most mmos since have followed the trend.

In other words, it's a retention mechanism to artificially inflate subscription length by forcing players to reroll to stay at "the top". Daily quests are the same thing; a hard cap on what you can accomplish in one day, therefore getting players more and more into the "carrot on a stick" mode.

Having said that, good players will still beat bad players, regardless of class or spec. But the reality is that most mmo players have this "min/max" mentality, and they buy into the idea that only the "best" gear, spec, class comp, rotation, and sync will win, and anything below "the best" is doomed to abysmal failure and humiliation.

Gren-Aluren
07.20.2013 , 02:59 AM | #19
You just mentioned four ACs. 4 out of 8 classes are flavor of the month? That's like complaining your DPS class is UP because it ranks as top 10 out of the 18 DPS trees. Some opponent in a warzone whined to me about being FotM when I am a *********** Scrapper who been playing since pre-launch. A Scrapper of all things.

Shakhaar
07.20.2013 , 03:02 AM | #20
Ultimately, it is extremely difficult to pin down how one class is overpowered and one underpowered, and "bohoo but that class beat me!!!" is not really a good means of judging other classes. Each class brings something slightly different, in terms of CC, damage/healing output, mobility and team utility.

"Buff <insert my class> and nerf <insert not my class>" lines are, as said above, one of the most common complaints on an MMO PvP forum, along with complaints about premades, faction imbalance and ganking. Of course FOTMing does occur, but it is generally the mentality of "class X beat me, so if I play class X Ill be strong" that encourages FOTMing, not actual game balance.

Is FOTMing bad? Well it definitely isnt bad for BioWare - rolling numerous alts keeps players interested in playing the game. Is it bad for PvPers? It depends really - of course its dull to see squads of healing Operatives/Scoundrels in every WZ, but in general fighting them comes down to what it always does: are they a good player? Are you a good player? A bad player playing a FOTM class isnt that much of a threat to a good player playing a not so FOTM class.

As said above, before jumping to the gun and claiming a class is too strong, perhaps it is best to revise ones own playstyle. Why is it best? Well for one, learning to play your class will give you the edge in all PvP encounters, not just "my class vs class X". Secondly, you wont have to wait indefinitely for when and if BioWare tweak class balance in your favor.