Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Nature of the Force

DewyMossEmpire
07.13.2013 , 04:27 PM | #21
(Btw I'm glad that this thread is getting such well-composed responses, I was hoping it'd do well. Thank you to the Community!)

Beniboybling
07.13.2013 , 04:37 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by DewyMossEmpire View Post
My biggest philosophy about the Force, in short, is that yes, there are indeed a Light & Dark side to the Force because of its usage or natural corruption in some cases. But what are the actual desires of the Force itself? For me, I believe that the Force would want to be used as an unrestricted power, without bias to the Light or Dark. How could this be possible though? Well that is the mysterious part. It's only truly been talked about with Kreia, & that is why we never see that type of Force usage anywhere else or with anyone else. It's blasphemy in terms of looking at it from the point of view of the Dark or Light, & the practice itself would be incredibly dangerous, & one might even say impossible for a mortal to comprehend or control.

So, in short, the Force (at least from what we know now) would be impossible to control as the Force itself desires.
I agree with Kreia, that the Force has a will and that will strives to keep balance between light and dark. We have several examples that point to this being the case:

1. The great many wars that have occured between light siders and dark siders.

2. The fact that after Sidious and Plagueis enacted a ritual that sent the Force out of balance - shifting towards the dark side - the Force struck back, creating the Chosen One, destined to restore balance to the Force.

But in turn the very fact that the Force has a will and seeks balance indicates that it is beyond light and dark and in fact very much a singular, neutral entity that favors neither side. Likely if the Force had its way there would be no light or dark, but the very existence of Force users means that these energies manifest themselves.

P.S. Like I said before this is a fascinating discussion and I always enjoy having it.

Aximand
07.13.2013 , 04:56 PM | #23
I hate to be a killjoy to the pseudo philosophy going on in this thread, but "balance" in the Force doesn't actually mean an equal amount of Light and Dark, it means a complete absence of the Sith.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

LadyKulvax
07.13.2013 , 05:00 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
I hate to be a killjoy to the pseudo philosophy going on in this thread, but "balance" in the Force doesn't actually mean an equal amount of Light and Dark, it means a complete absence of the Sith.
Holy hell, Aximand, you're back?!
"The Dark Jedi are in many ways more dangerous than the Sith."
Republic Justice

Aurbere
07.13.2013 , 05:07 PM | #25
^This.
Added Chapter 44 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Jandi
07.13.2013 , 05:08 PM | #26
I have a serious question regarding this. How does Abeloth fit into that? Wouldn't that make any balance an impossibility? I know she isn't Sith, but she is a pure dark side entity.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

Beniboybling
07.13.2013 , 05:16 PM | #27
This I'm afraid is not the case:

"The overriding philosophy in Episode I—and in all the Star Wars movies, for that matter—is the balance between good and evil."

-George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Making of Episode I, 1999

"In each of us we to have balance these emotions, and in the Star Wars saga the most important point is balance, balance between everything."

-George Lucas, Time Magazine article, 2002

"The idea of positive and negative, that there are two sides to an entity, a push and a pull, a yin and a yang, and the struggle between the two sides are issues of nature that I wanted to include in the film."

-George Lucas, quoted in L. Bouzereau, Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays

"The Force has two sides. It is not a malevolent or a benevolent thing. It has a bad side to it, involving hate and fear, and it has a good side, involving love, charity, fairness and hope."

-George Lucas, Times Magazine, 1980

"I wanted to have this mythological footing because I was basing the films on the idea that the Force has two sides, the good side, the evil side, and they both need to be there. Most religions are built on that, whether it's called yin and yang, God and the devil—everything is built on the push-pull tension created by two sides of the equation. Right from the very beginning, that was the key issue in 'Star Wars.'"

-George Lucas, Times Magazine, 2002

"The Light and Dark Side manifest themselves in the way they are used; they are simply different interpretations of a single aspect of nature, and they exist in balance with themselves and the universe. Just as with any aspect of life and death, both the Dark Side and the Light Side are intertwined with each other, are necessary to each other and form a cosmic balance."

-The Dark Empire Sourcebook

And from the recent Mortis arc:

"It is only here that I can control them. A family in balance. The light and the dark. Day with night. Destruction, replaced by creation...Too much light or dark would be the undoing of life as you understand it."

The Father, who keeps control over the Daughter and the Son i.e. maintains balance, seeks the Chosen One to replace him. Proving the Chosen One would restore balance to the Force through balancing the light with the dark, not destroying the dark side. This is a common misconception based on one quote were Lucas says the Force is a 'cancer'. This is the believe held by the Jedi, that restoring balance involves destroying the Sith.

But according to Wookieepedia:

George Lucas himself has stated that Anakin is the Chosen One and that the prophecy is true, although it had been misinterpreted by the entire Jedi Order.[12][13]

So yes I'm afraid you are mistaken, about a great many things.

Beniboybling
07.13.2013 , 05:17 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
^This.
I'm guessing this is why you don't like the Ones.

Aurbere
07.13.2013 , 05:19 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I'm guessing this is why you don't like the Ones.
Maaaybeee...
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Aurbere
07.13.2013 , 05:21 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
*snip*
None of this contradicts what Aximand said. The Sith's use of the Dark Side throw the Force out of whack because they try to bend the Force to their will (see the creation of the Chosen One). Thus, removing the Sith restores balance to the Force.