Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Carrots.

Deluged
07.06.2013 , 10:19 AM | #1
Things get put out there by the Developers-and-or Moderators, in an effort to keep us after the carrot.
"Watch for it guys, its coming"
"when?"
"snicker, we're not telling"
What will it consist of?
"chortle, we're not saying either"

Seriously, it all feels sophomoric and silly to me.
How about this.
Announce things to come when you can do more than just play mind games.
Why the need to put things out there when so little is known about it?
Uneasy lays the head that wears the crown

Hessen
07.06.2013 , 10:21 AM | #2
They've been like this since Beta and all it did was wind people up, it didn't create excitement or tension it was just really poor quality customer interaction.

You don't see Banks doing teaser adverts "we might be launching a new savings account, we might not, but if we are we won't tell you anything about how it might work or what the interest rate will be!"

jorill
07.06.2013 , 10:23 AM | #3
You say it like this is some new idea. This has been a marketing tactic for lord knows how many years in a lot of different industries

branmakmuffin
07.06.2013 , 10:25 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Deluged View Post
Things get put out there by the Developers-and-or Moderators, in an effort to keep us after the carrot.
"Watch for it guys, its coming"
"when?"
"snicker, we're not telling"
What will it consist of?
"chortle, we're not saying either"

Seriously, it all feels sophomoric and silly to me.
How about this.
Announce things to come when you can do more than just play mind games.
Why the need to put things out there when so little is known about it?
If you allow the moderators of a game forum to play mind games with you, you need to work on strengthening your mind.

Warshades
07.06.2013 , 10:29 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by jorill View Post
You say it like this is some new idea. This has been a marketing tactic for lord knows how many years in a lot of different industries
There are also alot of people that rape, murder, etc, and have for a very long number of years. Doesnt mean we should suddenly start accepting it for common acceptable practices.
“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.”

Andryah
07.06.2013 , 10:43 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
If you allow the moderators of a game forum to play mind games with you, you need to work on strengthening your mind.
LOL.... well said.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Andryah
07.06.2013 , 10:44 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Warshades View Post
There are also alot of people that rape, murder, etc, and have for a very long number of years. Doesnt mean we should suddenly start accepting it for common acceptable practices.
I think you just pulled off the mother of all false equivalence.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Superman_AZ
07.06.2013 , 10:50 AM | #8
I find most "carrots" intriguing. It keeps me interested and guessing at possibilities. I think where most players falter is in their expectations. People get their hopes up for something grand in a game, when, at the end of the day, the game is still just pixels which you only take with you as memories. There is no Silver Star or Medal of Honor at the end of an MMO. If more people reigned in their expectations, they would find more joy in the carrots and less disappointment.

"Old soldiers never die, they just fade away." ~ General Douglas MacArthur
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

Izorii
07.06.2013 , 11:05 AM | #9
I find Carrots a really stupid idea. I am all for in Spring 2015 we will have 2 new species, a new class for both factions and a new level 55 end game zone. It gives people something to look forward to and know what they are getting.

When they offer half truths like "Super big announcement coming this Friday, make sure you are around." When they then announce that cantina tours are coming most players are not super excited they are pissed off they expected something bigger that had some impact to them. Now I know Fanboyz will claim every announcement ever made was the greatest announcement every and they were never disappointed. However the majority of players are often disappointed and feel cheated. The feeling is irrational because we have not lost anything but all the hype makes up hopefully and then that hope is crushed.

Why don't the Dev's just tell us what is coming, what is planned and when we will see it not all half truths which blow minor events and news out of all proportion.

branmakmuffin
07.06.2013 , 11:37 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Izorii View Post
Why don't the Dev's just tell us what is coming, what is planned and when we will see it not all half truths which blow minor events and news out of all proportion.
Who cares? Is your life really that wrapped in TOR?