Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Very confused on subs now.

Andryah
07.05.2013 , 08:03 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorenia View Post
You can get all that off the GTN now for cheap. About 300~400k a month. The equivalent of $5 in CC coins.
Your are being narrow sighted and subjective here.

For both brevity and clarity.....let me site just one example: A sub can have up to 22 characters on a server. A non-sub cannot.. no matter what they do or how long they hold their breath. There are a lot of players that actually have more then 16 characters on a server. For these players a sub is required.

There are dozens of other examples of why any given player might require a sub.. but I'm not going to cliff note them all for you in the thread. If you can't figure them out.. writing them for you will be a waste of time.
Negativity achieves nothing positive or productive. It's hostile and it reveals a persons true character. It's a useless and miserable way to spend one's time, IMO ... but some people like being miserable I guess. This is true in real life and it is true inside MMOs.

FlyinSpaghetti
07.05.2013 , 08:09 PM | #22
Here's what I think happened:

1/ Someone let slip about the idea of "subscriber appreciation" in a live stream Q&A to whoo fans who were watching it, however I believe this idea probably wasn't set in stone or forgotten about.

2/ Weeks later close to the date someone who watched the Q&A basically says "Dude where's my sub appreciation?":

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=655654

3/ Bioware are like ermm... oh crap:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...32#post6494532

4/ The result "ermm... let's give them some cartel coins to shut them up":

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...25#post6510625

In all honesty I don't believe there was any real subscriber appreciation planned, they may pull the wool over the communities eyes but this to me just seems a quick fix to a PR slip up.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Sir-Coffee
07.05.2013 , 08:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

For both brevity and clarity.....let me site just one example: A sub can have up to 22 characters on a server. A non-sub cannot.. no matter what they do or how long they hold their breath. There are a lot of players that actually have more then 16 characters on a server. For these players a sub is required.

There are dozens of other examples of why any given player might require a sub.. but I'm not going to cliff note them all for you in the thread. If you can't figure them out.. writing them for you will be a waste of time.
I have to agree with Andryah.

Sorenia
07.05.2013 , 08:11 PM | #24

For both brevity and clarity.....let me site just one example: A sub can have up to 22 characters on a server.
There's nothing narrow sighted about ignoring such an edge case.

Quote:
There are a lot of players that actually have more then 16 characters on a server.
No there are not. This is a completely 100% false statement. Unless your definition of "a lot" is under 1%. Don't even get me started on how many of that tiny percentage are just farming crew skills anyways.

Cyberwoman
07.05.2013 , 08:19 PM | #25
No there are not. This is a completely 100% false statement. Unless your definition of "a lot" is under 1%. Don't even get me started on how many of that tiny percentage are just farming crew skills anyways.
While I cannot say how many players there are with more then sixteen characters, I do currently have sixteen on my server and plan to make more in the future (And no, I dont use them to farm crew skills. Actually, only a handful of my main characters even have crafting skills...)
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who
Chinbu, Hekit, Shieye, Hunk'a, Bi'song, Paign'ton, Ga'vin, Char-bi
Griffa, Ga'athei, Valamist , V'woolf, Equ'mar, No'lara, Vampora

TheBBP
07.05.2013 , 08:21 PM | #26
Ok so we know the new "appreciation" is a one time 500CC. If that's it then what exactly is the advantage of subbing? Looking at the GTN I can bypass every restriction for a mere 50k credits each. Even if I hate farming I'm far better off canceling and spending a few bucks on the market to sell stuff for credits in game.

So what gives Bioware? I don't really care about "appreciation". I want some product to buy. I'll gladly spend $50 or more a month on this game. Have you become so blinded by gambling boxes that you forgot people will spend money on other things?
I invite you to give it a go and see how you like it.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

Sorenia
07.05.2013 , 08:32 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyberwoman View Post
While I cannot say how many players there are with more then sixteen characters, I do currently have sixteen on my server and plan to make more in the future (And no, I dont use them to farm crew skills. Actually, only a handful of my main characters even have crafting skills...)
Even a percent of a percent is actually a fair chunk of people when we're talking 500k subscribers. It doesn't change the fact that the game would be in dire straits if everyone else gradually canceled. That would lead to even you canceling due to lack of updates occurring.

Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I invite you to give it a go and see how you like it.
I invite you to try and support the game instead of arguing everyone be a leech.

Andryah
07.05.2013 , 08:33 PM | #28
There's nothing narrow sighted about ignoring such an edge case.
Your entire assessment that subs are not needed and are without value (ie: easily replaced with a chain of unlocks purchased on the cheap off the GTN) is the mother of all edge cases.

You simply are not going to persuade intelligent players that their sub is not needed and lacks value in the new business model. They can assess and decide for themselves if they are better off subscribing or going preferred+pay-2-unlock.

I do acknowledge however that you might net yourself some of the more cranially challenged.
Negativity achieves nothing positive or productive. It's hostile and it reveals a persons true character. It's a useless and miserable way to spend one's time, IMO ... but some people like being miserable I guess. This is true in real life and it is true inside MMOs.

Sorenia
07.05.2013 , 08:37 PM | #29
You simply are not going to persuade intelligent players that their sub is not needed and lacks value in the new business model.
I'm not attempting to persuade people to cancel. I'm pointing out that people who want to be cheap will cancel now that they know they can. Bioware basically just told them to in fact.

ReverendAnderson
07.05.2013 , 08:45 PM | #30
The point is that if there's no reason to sub the game is going to devolve into something bad. Full F2P games thrive on tiny updates and gambling boxes. If people like me unsub then the game won't even be worth playing long term.
Then it'll dry up and die, and we'll all go play something else that we like. We aren't exactly lacking for options.
"That's two sound theories in one day, neither of which deal with abnormally sized men."