Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Selection

Demolishment
06.18.2013 , 11:21 PM | #1
I'm not new to Star Wars The Old Republic but i need to know a good server.The one i play on is really laggy for me even though i'm on the east coast. Can somone tell me what server is best for Me based on my location. I am in Western Kentucky on the East Coast of North America (No, I'm not a redneck or nor do I have an accent). I need to find the server best for me Post the server name below and I will check it out.

Thanks,
Demolishment

DarthScruffy
06.19.2013 , 02:48 AM | #2
Prophecy of the 5 is an East Coast PvP server. It swallowed up The Fatman.

JacksonMo
06.19.2013 , 03:38 AM | #3
It could be something other than what server you're on.
People don't realize they GROSSLY underestimated the recommended system requirements for this game.
And by "grossly" I mean whoever made that list should have been terminated with no severance and black-listed from the industry for LIFE. The closest he should ever come to computers should be scrubbing toilets at Best Buy.

Open your Windows "Control Panel" and look for "Performance Information and Tools"
If your score is less than 6.0 you're going to have issues.
Mine is currently 5.7 (Dual core processor holding me back) and I typically have to sit and wait for NPC vendors on fleet to "spawn" before I can access them. And this is a VAST improvement over what I was dealing with at 3.7 before upgrading my video card, which was above sys-req.

The other area that can give you issues is band-width. I had disconnections off and on for several months until I upgraded my cable and they bumped up my internet to accommodate digital cable. I haven't had the DC issue since.

PLynkes
06.19.2013 , 03:56 AM | #4
Speaking as an Englishman I can assure you that you do have an accent, sir.

cxten
06.19.2013 , 07:33 AM | #5
If you make a character on a server, you can check your ping to the server by mousing over the signal icon (shows up to 4 bars, tells you your ping in milliseconds if you mouse over) in the lower right corner, attached to the mini map.

You can also manually ping each server out of game if you can figure out the ip addresses. I didn't find this in a quick search, but perhaps you can.

----

Non-connection-related east coast server selection:

1. If you think you'll want to do ranked pvp matches, or just a lot of pvp, and/or you don't mind the possibility of griefing while leveling, go for Prophecy of the Five
2. You probably shouldn't choose Jung Ma (lowest population) unless you're really set on RP-PVP somehow
3. Otherwise, any of the three PVE servers should be fine.
a) Ebon Hawk is the RP-PVE one; it has the highest average population of the east coast PVE servers according to torstatus.net
b) Jedi Covenant is next in population. It's known to tilt to the republic side, so if you want to go republic on a straight PVE server, go here.
c) Shadowlands is next, but not too far behind. It's known to tilt to the imperial side, so maybe go here if you want imperial on a straight PVE server.