Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Item Levels

OneCreation
06.16.2013 , 02:42 PM | #1
Hi,
Is it possible to make a high level item a lower level item? I know that a item becomes a higher level when you place better modifications on it. But it don't seem to work the other way around, because a level 30 helmet, stayed a level 30 when I placed an level 11 armor mod on it..

Robutte
06.16.2013 , 02:55 PM | #2
yer some item have a certain field which the player needs to fill in order to use or wear the item like your said helmet you need to be level 30 to wear if you play as a jedi some lightsabers require you be light side points 1 or dark side points 1 stuff like that also i think if you happen to put lvl 45 mods into a lvl 30 helm then the helm would then need you to be lvl 45 for you to wear it.
if this makes sense great if not im sorry hope it helped

MSchuyler
06.16.2013 , 03:56 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by OneCreation View Post
Hi,
Is it possible to make a high level item a lower level item? I know that a item becomes a higher level when you place better modifications on it. But it don't seem to work the other way around, because a level 30 helmet, stayed a level 30 when I placed an level 11 armor mod on it..
You're looking at the wrong thing. As a hypothetical example, let's say you had a level 30 helmet that was modifiable and you removed a mod and replaced it with a level 11 mod (which actually costs you credits if you really remove it). If the level 30 mod had a +18 cunning, +30 endurance, and the level 11 had a +2 cunning, +3 endurance, then your cunning went down by -16 and your endurance went down -27, so that helmet just bought you a whole lot less protection than it did with the higher level mod. Higher level mods make a given piece of modifiable equipment better/more powerful. The requirement that you must be at least a Level X to wear it does not factor into this. It will always be a Level 30 piece of equipment--just not provide you that level of protection.

This begs the question. WHY would you want to do such a thing? If it's bound to you, you can't use it anywhere else, so you can't give it to an alt, for example. It costs you, one way or another, to do this, either in a destroyed higher level mod or in credits, and it lowers your protection. I'm not seeing an upside here.

swtonewbie
06.16.2013 , 04:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by OneCreation View Post
But it don't seem to work the other way around, because a level 30 helmet, stayed a level 30 when I placed an level 11 armor mod on it..
I know it doesnt make sense, but that is working as intended

Most moddable items, even ones that are stripped of all mods, have level requirements of their own. Crafted moddable items have no mods at all, but that crafted item can be level 11, level 20, level 30, or level 48. And as you have found you can buy a level 30 helmet with level 29 mods, and even after you strip it of all mods, the helmet still has its own level requirement.

The criteria for being able to wear an item will be determined by the highest level requirement in it. Whether that higher level is from a mod (which will override the helmets level requirement) or the helmet itself (if you try to put a low level mod in it, like you did OP).
I'm not really a noob...

swtonewbie
06.16.2013 , 04:59 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
This begs the question. WHY would you want to do such a thing? If it's bound to you, you can't use it anywhere else, so you can't give it to an alt, for example. It costs you, one way or another, to do this, either in a destroyed higher level mod or in credits, and it lowers your protection. I'm not seeing an upside here.
Because that means if it werent this way, every single piece of moddable armor, crafted, from drops, from operations, pvp, whatever...would be have a level 1 requirement if it were stripped down. I'm guessing they wanted to keep some armor unique by giving it a higher level requirement or having it require PVP rank and stuff like that. Cartel Market armor is the exception to this rule, but you are paying real money, or usually a lot of creds for those level 1 adaptives (unless it's a covert chest of which there are 20 pages worth on the GTN).
I'm not really a noob...

MSchuyler
06.16.2013 , 05:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by swtonewbie View Post
Because that means if it werent this way, every single piece of moddable armor, crafted, from drops, from operations, pvp, whatever...would be have a level 1 requirement if it were stripped down. I'm guessing they wanted to keep some armor unique by giving it a higher level requirement or having it require PVP rank and stuff like that. Cartel Market armor is the exception to this rule, but you are paying real money, or usually a lot of creds for those level 1 adaptives (unless it's a covert chest of which there are 20 pages worth on the GTN).
My fault for not explaining myself. The part I'm having difficulty understanding is why someone would want to level DOWN a piece of gear by installing "smaller" mods in it. if you could give it to one of your other characters, I could see doing it, but if it's stuck on you, i.e. bound, then I don't see the point.

Adric_the_Red
06.16.2013 , 05:14 PM | #7
Yes, puttng different mods (regardless of level) in the piece will bind it to you. But he could do it the other way around: mail it to a lower level character who could then change the mods to something more appropriate. Though as others have said, the level requirement is probably in the shell, not the mods, so it would still retain its higher level requirement, even with lower level mods in it.

PLynkes
06.17.2013 , 03:28 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
My fault for not explaining myself. The part I'm having difficulty understanding is why someone would want to level DOWN a piece of gear by installing "smaller" mods in it. if you could give it to one of your other characters, I could see doing it, but if it's stuck on you, i.e. bound, then I don't see the point.
Well, it's just a guess, but one reason might be that you really like the look of the piece, but aren't of a high enough level to use it yet?

CarlosTrevisan
06.17.2013 , 07:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by PLynkes View Post
Well, it's just a guess, but one reason might be that you really like the look of the piece, but aren't of a high enough level to use it yet?
This is very common for me. My Sniper, for example, its only lvl 25 but i wish i could use the "then kilometer killer" sniper rifle, for the good looking. No chance. Must wait up for lvl 48 to use it because its "skeleton" have lvl req too.
I wander why devs have put lvl requeriments on the "skeleton" orange gear, maybe are because of the craft materials? Or their schematics? Or maybe its just to dont allow everyone has every look from start, needing improbe their chars on the game to "earn" the given piece requeriments...

PLynkes
06.17.2013 , 09:04 AM | #10
Personally I think it's good that you have to earn things, and that is a good reason to do things the way they currently do. It's more satisfying that way, rather than just having everything you want right at the beginning. Of course they undercut that a little by also having cool-looking stuff in the Cartel Market available for real money. But hey, if it keeps the game alive then so be it.