Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to make decent money early?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How to make decent money early?

LingBa
06.13.2013 , 05:40 PM | #21
On my first toon I took synth weaving and the appropriate support skill (arch and UT from memory). Bought schematics for orange moddable gear from GTN and crafted and sold those items. I wasn't making megabucks but it was enough to keep me in pie and cake whilst levelling.

Khevar
06.13.2013 , 07:08 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by JacksonMo View Post

The only time crafters strike it rich in this game is if they are able to learn a schematic from gear obtained in the highest level operation.
This is a sweeping generality and not remotely true.

Just since 2.0 dropped I've made ~50 million on MK-9 augment kits, and ~25 million on MK-9 augments. That doesn't include the grade 28 enhancements, or the mid-level gear that I've also crafted. A friend of mine went on a level 50 crystal rampage and learned practically every single crystal schematic in the game and made a mint off of it.

If you indiscriminately craft and sell, you won't make good money. If you pay attention to holes in the economy, you'll do great.

JacksonMo
06.13.2013 , 11:12 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
This is a sweeping generality and not remotely true.

Just since 2.0 dropped I've made ~50 million on MK-9 augment kits, and ~25 million on MK-9 augments. That doesn't include the grade 28 enhancements, or the mid-level gear that I've also crafted. A friend of mine went on a level 50 crystal rampage and learned practically every single crystal schematic in the game and made a mint off of it.

If you indiscriminately craft and sell, you won't make good money. If you pay attention to holes in the economy, you'll do great.
75 million? Really? Ok, I'm gonna call BS. Where are you farming the mats needed to craft the darn things?
OR are you sitting at a GTN terminal all day scooping up under-priced mats and crafting with that to flip a profit?
If you're sitting at a GTN terminal, that is EXACTLY what I was refering to....

Plus, we were talking about LEVELING gear, not endgame.

mike_is_valid
06.14.2013 , 12:13 AM | #24
75 million? Really? Ok, I'm gonna call BS. Where are you farming the mats needed to craft the darn things?
I don't think it's BS, quite feaseable in fact. You need the right number of crafting toons and some dedication of course. MK-9 slot components sell like hot cakes on my server and with the right crew skill chosen can be created with high efficiency.

Khevar
06.14.2013 , 01:29 AM | #25
75 million? Really? Ok, I'm gonna call BS.
Wow. You think I'm actually lying? About something as irrelevant as making fake money in a videogame?
Where are you farming the mats needed to craft the darn things?
Scavenging missions on multiple alts, sent to a Cybertech that can craft the earpieces for 2/2/4. Slicing missions on multiple alts, sent to Armstech and Synth (each with +5 to cit).

I should note that I don't actually have a lot of playtime either, but I can usually kick off missions in the morning before going to work, in the evening when I get home, and at night before going to sleep. Multiple alts x 5 companions x 3 times a day = a lot of scavenging and slicing missions.
OR are you sitting at a GTN terminal all day scooping up under-priced mats and crafting with that to flip a profit?
Nope, sitting by the GTN is about as exciting as watching paint dry.
Plus, we were talking about LEVELING gear, not endgame.
This is true, this thread is about LEVELING gear.

BUT, the comment of yours that I said was a sweeping generality and not remotely true is:
The only time crafters strike it rich in this game is if they are able to learn a schematic from gear obtained in the highest level operation.
You're not exactly going to get gear from an operation while LEVELING, are you?

Heezdedjim
06.14.2013 , 03:23 AM | #26
You are looking for this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...64#post6285348

The short story on crafting is: don't do it on a first character unless you want to be poor. Save your credits and take three gathering skills instead to gather and sell mats. Also, to save money on your first character, don't worry about your gear. You can get all the gear that you need from quest rewards and commendations. If you want to keep updated with the least effort, just always take the gear rewards from quests and you'll be fine.

If you want to have slightly better gear, get a cheap orange set off the GTN (many of the less desired cartel market outfits and weapons are dumped on the GTN for almost nothing), and just buy blue mods using commendations to fill them. If you take commendations for every quest reward and run the flashpoint daily every day, you should have plenty. If you run a lot of flashpoints and HEROIC quests, you'll hit the comm cap in no time and find yourself forced to spend them even.

JacksonMo
06.14.2013 , 09:05 AM | #27
Wow. You think I'm actually lying? About something as irrelevant as making fake money in a videogame?
You'd be surprised at the inconsequential crap people lie or grossly exaggerate about.

Scavenging missions on multiple alts, sent to a Cybertech that can craft the earpieces for 2/2/4. Slicing missions on multiple alts, sent to Armstech and Synth (each with +5 to cit).

I should note that I don't actually have a lot of playtime either, but I can usually kick off missions in the morning before going to work, in the evening when I get home, and at night before going to sleep. Multiple alts x 5 companions x 3 times a day = a lot of scavenging and slicing missions.
So are you buying purple missions, or relying solely on crits? When MK-6 rolled out, for the first few weeks you could make a killing if you had the materials stockpiled. That only lasted a few weeks though until people noticed and ramped up production and prices plummeted, leveling off just enough above the average cost of purple missions you could make a small profit doing it that way. But normal missions simply don't return enough mats for large scale production.
In fact, by the time you bought flux from the vendor and ran slicing missions for the blue parts you need, its simpler just to make what you need for personal use and sell the raw materials.

This is true, this thread is about LEVELING gear.

BUT, the comment of yours that I said was a sweeping generality and not remotely true is:

You're not exactly going to get gear from an operation while LEVELING, are you?
Exactly true, just like you're not going to craft many MK-9 augment kits with your first toon at level 30, are you?
By the way, complaining about a generality is a bit childish, don't you think?
Just assuming everything you claim is true, bear in mind you have multiple toons running missions at level 50+, multiple crafters at 450.
How exactly is that suppose to help a new player?
Remember those days, when you had one character and 2 or 3 companions?

So you got to brag about the huge pile of credits you're swimming in (allegedly) and didn't really give the new guy any help whatsoever. Awesome!
Gathering works. It works regardless of level, how many alts or companions you have. It works in any game that has player marketplace.

Khevar
06.14.2013 , 12:42 PM | #28
So are you buying purple missions, or relying solely on crits? When MK-6 rolled out, for the first few weeks you could make a killing if you had the materials stockpiled. That only lasted a few weeks though until people noticed and ramped up production and prices plummeted, leveling off just enough above the average cost of purple missions you could make a small profit doing it that way. But normal missions simply don't return enough mats for large scale production.
In fact, by the time you bought flux from the vendor and ran slicing missions for the blue parts you need, its simpler just to make what you need for personal use and sell the raw materials.
I mainly rely on the crits, although I sometimes get the purple missions myself, on my slicers I run all 4 >3000cr missions (2 tech parts, 2 lockboxes)

There are many times when the raw materials are more profitable, but other times when the final product sells better, it depends on the market at that time.
So you got to brag about the huge pile of credits you're swimming in (allegedly) and didn't really give the new guy any help whatsoever. Awesome!
Gathering works. It works regardless of level, how many alts or companions you have. It works in any game that has player marketplace.
If you look on page 1 of this thread, I've got three posts where I gave some suggestions for the new player leveling. And you'll note that this includes selling mats, not crafting.

The reason I jumped on your statement is that the new player who is leveling will eventually hit end-game, or make alts, and maybe decide to do something to make more money. What you said was false, bad advice, and deserved to be argued against.

JacksonMo
06.14.2013 , 09:01 PM | #29
If you look on page 1 of this thread, I've got three posts where I gave some suggestions for the new player leveling. And you'll note that this includes selling mats, not crafting.
So you did, so why are you so adamant about contradicting your own advice?

The reason I jumped on your statement is that the new player who is leveling will eventually hit end-game, or make alts, and maybe decide to do something to make more money. What you said was false, bad advice, and deserved to be argued against.
Yup, and when they get there they can easily change it up. Drop something. Pick up a crafting skill. Buy mats and power-level while running dailies. What I said was NOT false, nor bad advice. It was specific to his situation, being a new player leveling his first toon. OBVIOUSLY any idiot will branch out and diversify once they've reached end-game content.
Actively contradicting your own advice just to get the last word in is simply childish and helps no one.

Khevar
06.14.2013 , 11:19 PM | #30

Actively contradicting your own advice just to get the last word in is simply childish and helps no one.
And trying to paint me as me a lying, unhelpful, braggart is of vast benefit to the OP.

If you think I'm wrong, debate the issue. Argue against it. Make a case for your viewpoint. It's more effective than a character attack.

You stated that the only way to strike it rich is to be an end game raider and learn grade 30/31 schematics. Do you still think this is the case?