Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to make decent money early?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
How to make decent money early?

tgokovenant
06.11.2013 , 03:01 AM | #11
With my first toon, I also tried my hand at crafting, but crafting turns out to not be worth it until way later and only after crafting level 400 really. So now I have bio analysis, underworld trading, and treasure hunting. Treasure hunting yields gems that others need for crafting and some of the gems sell for A LOT of credits. Underworld trading yields metals and some of those also sell for a ton. Then the bio stuff sells to those who craft stims and med packs. Other than that, I use my monthly CC allowance to buy packs and sell what I find. By level 30, I was a millionaire. When you go to sell something on the gtn, search it first by name and see how much they sell for, then adjust your prices accordingly. Set your sale for 2 days and just wait for the emails. Also you can sell the packs without opening them, and those go for a lot. I open them though because sometimes it'll have something I want. Then sell the rest. I have some really nice crystals thanks to that. I even got a darth Revan holo statue once that sold for 700k by itself.
Lek'saen (Sorcerer) | Lek'san (Marauder) | Lek'sara (PowerTech)
Red Eclipse

JamieKirby
06.11.2013 , 04:18 AM | #12
I tried crafting, I just find it too boring, when I try crafting, I tend to keep dropping off to sleep, its THAT dull to me, but the prices players charge is bloody insane, there are some that charge reasonable prices and I salute them, but there are some that just want to make as much as possible and don't care how much they are ripping people off by.

Maybe Its just me that doesn't have the whole greed gene.

Ziso
06.11.2013 , 04:51 AM | #13
Scavening.
Crafters for Armortech and Armstechs can use upto 6 units of Laminoid, grade 1 scavenged compound per craft. You usually get Silica from missions so Laminoid is abit harder to get but missions are only a few minutes and on our server a stack of 10 Laminoid can sell for 5000-6000 credits.
Very easy money maker.

Other:
If subbed I always advise taking Artifice (if Jedi) or Cybertech (if non jedi) as first crafting. If you enjoy Tor and can see yourself playing some time and making more characters its very handy to have both of these crafts (can even level them up side by side) as then your self reliant for Hilts, Crystals, Offhand shields and when you move into modded gear you can also make own enhancements, mods and armouring.

The way I play now is I have every crafting on my characters and when I got round to my characters after having all crew skills catered for, I use them for slicing and more gathering to help out.
When I log on and before I log off I do the rounds on all characters to send their companions all out on missions and every few hours if I am having a long session ill take a 10 min break and do the rounds again. Also ensure that companions on the character your playing and not using (ie ship droid) are contstantly sent out on missions.

Remember also for rarer mats, the legacy repair droid has sensors you can get and equip your ship droid with to help have a better chance of a critical mission success:
Engineering Droid Sensor: +5 Scavenging Efficiency; +5 Critical Cybertech
Exploration Droid Sensor: +5 Archaeology Efficiency; +5 Critical Synthweaving
Hunter Droid Sensor: +10 Investigation Efficiency; +2 Critical Armstech
Medical Droid Sensor: +10 Biochem Efficiency; +2 Critical Diplomacy
Scout Droid Sensor: +10 Artifice Efficiency; +2 Critical Treasure Hunting
Security Droid Sensor: +10 Armormech Efficiency; +2 Critical Underworld Trading
They're all sold on the player's ship by the legacy repair droid for 100.000 Credits each and all require Legacy level 12 to equip.

You can group with someone who already has the droid also and buy off their ship saving you the unlock fee but items are bound to legacy so only you can purchase, you wont find on GTN etc

Ancaglon
06.11.2013 , 04:52 AM | #14
That's MMO market economics for you -- if people buy stuff that's listed at those prices, then that is a "fair" price.If it doesn't, sell, the sellers will have to drop their prices, or, if the price is very low, sell it to a vendor.

As has been said before, for a first character, get 3 gathering skills -- ideally 3 that you can use "in the world", so I would pick 3 of scavenging (droids), bioanalysis (animals), slicing (lockboxes and computer nodes) or archeology (nodes). Don't go far out of your way to "grind" that stuff, but pick up what you come across as you level -- and any time you are near a mailbox, send them to another character that's "parked" on the Fleet next to a GTN console, along with any other gear that you can't use. (I generally sell to a vendor any green item that isn't useful to that character, their frequently used companions, or the same for an alt of similar level -- it's not really worth "saving" greens that are more than about 5 levels too high -- and sell un-needed blues and such via GTN).

tgokovenant
06.11.2013 , 06:30 AM | #15
Something that really helps, and is a huge time saver, is unlocking the mailbox and gtn terminal on your ship. Then you really only need to go to the laggy fleet once in a while. And your ship is always just a taxi ride away.
Lek'saen (Sorcerer) | Lek'san (Marauder) | Lek'sara (PowerTech)
Red Eclipse

Khevar
06.11.2013 , 09:20 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post
I tried crafting, I just find it too boring, when I try crafting, I tend to keep dropping off to sleep, its THAT dull to me, but the prices players charge is bloody insane, there are some that charge reasonable prices and I salute them, but there are some that just want to make as much as possible and don't care how much they are ripping people off by.

Yeah, you got the "lazy and self-righteous" gene instead.

MSchuyler
06.11.2013 , 11:34 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by tgokovenant View Post
Something that really helps, and is a huge time saver, is unlocking the mailbox and gtn terminal on your ship. Then you really only need to go to the laggy fleet once in a while. And your ship is always just a taxi ride away.
Another good place is the VIP lounge on the fleet. It has the GTN, the mailbox, and your storage all in one place, too. The problem I have with the ship option is that each time you enter the ship, you take off. I think this is a design flaw myself.

Dbuntu
06.12.2013 , 11:25 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by JamieKirby View Post

The GTN is a marketplace. If people are NOT selling for the highest price they can get, then they are doing themselves a disservice. There is nothing to gain from subsidizing your prices.

parmie
06.12.2013 , 01:00 PM | #19
Lots of people call crafting a credit sink, but actually they're not even trying to use it commercially.

When you reverse engineer an upgrade to the artefact version, keep making it and then sell them on the GTN, if you are forced to but the purple mats from the GTN, you should be able to price the mod you make to get a margin.

Using these credits, fund your further crafting. However, there is a thread in crew skills where a guy says he makes millions in profit just from gathering mats and selling them on the GTN.

JacksonMo
06.12.2013 , 06:47 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by parmie View Post
Lots of people call crafting a credit sink, but actually they're not even trying to use it commercially.

When you reverse engineer an upgrade to the artefact version, keep making it and then sell them on the GTN, if you are forced to but the purple mats from the GTN, you should be able to price the mod you make to get a margin.

Using these credits, fund your further crafting. However, there is a thread in crew skills where a guy says he makes millions in profit just from gathering mats and selling them on the GTN.
Bad advice actually. It may be POSSIBLE to turn a profit doing this, but you can also find yourself sitting on a pile of mods you can't sell because some clown keeps flooding the market with grossly under-priced items.

Stick to gathering. I haven't tried the UT strategy, but scavenging and slicing work. I prefer bio for my 3rd skill since it lets me double loot beasts, and there is always demand for it. But UT makes sense if higher level crafters want to make gear for their alts leveling up, but don't want to spend time spamming missions for the materials.

And that, really, is why this strategy works so much better than trying to craft your own gear as you go. I've done it in other games too.
After market watchers (people who know how to spot trends in the market and invest early to make huge profits) gatherers are usually the richest players in the game.
The only time crafters strike it rich in this game is if they are able to learn a schematic from gear obtained in the highest level operation.