Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whats the best free voice chat program for SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Whats the best free voice chat program for SWTOR

ColinTice
06.08.2013 , 04:00 PM | #1
i need advice as far as voice chat services in swtor, preferably one that is free.

Gavida
06.08.2013 , 05:03 PM | #2
My friends and I use Mumble.
There are lots of free Mumble servers available, here is an example:

http://www.gotmumble.com/en/home/?ref=adwords

nabcobra
06.09.2013 , 03:02 PM | #3
Skype is allways an option, a lot of people complain about it but I have never had any proplems with it.

MrJurgens
06.09.2013 , 04:04 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by nabcobra View Post
Skype is allways an option, a lot of people complain about it but I have never had any proplems with it.
Takes too much bandwidth, so I'll never use that.

Khevar
06.09.2013 , 04:07 PM | #5
I have Ventrilo, Teamspeak and Mumble installed on my pc. I prefer Mumble.

Tatile
06.09.2013 , 04:30 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by nabcobra View Post
As far as I could tell, there was no option to bind speaking to a key. That was just... creepy. Also it likes to set itself to be always on and is a pain to actually shut down.

VorKoom
06.09.2013 , 05:27 PM | #7
Our Guild is currently using Razer Comms http://www.razerzone.com/comms
It is free and works quite well if you just want to talk to your friends however it can be quite unstable at times and crashes for this reason we are upgrading to Mumble soon.
Guildmaster
<Colours>
Casual PvE/PvP Progression Guild
The Red Eclipse EU. Colours Website

AlixMV
06.10.2013 , 11:18 AM | #8
I've used Ventrilo, Skype, and Mumble and prefer Mumble. It's sort've a pain to configure the client initially, but it's because it calibrates itself to your sound out and sound in devices, which I think as a major benefit over Vent (where, untweaked, people are either TOO LOUD or too soft).

I've also heard from people who know more about these things than eye that Mumble has a much lower bandwidth footprint than Skype or Vent.

I'm also incredibly fond of the transparent overlay option of Mumble. Really helpful to be able to tell who is speaking when you can't recognize a voice (like in big raids or raids with a few PUGs)

And lastly, for my personal use: I've had serious issues with Vent's voice activation feature (if I try to implement that) where it only works half the time, and it won't recognize my preferred push-to-talk bind key (Mouse Button 3 on my mouse), making it frustrating for me to use without being always on (and people do not need to hear what I say all the time. Mumble recognizes my PTT key. Mumble wins.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee ~ Lor'rysi

jsmc
06.10.2013 , 11:21 AM | #9
Absolutely free and Crystal clear

Dolby Axon

chuixupu
06.10.2013 , 01:20 PM | #10
My guild has had a Ventrillo server for many years (prior to swtor's release) so we use that, but I use Mumble for other guilds and pugs. They both have their ups and downs.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant