Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

help!!! i have no idea what class to role

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
help!!! i have no idea what class to role

lsals
06.07.2013 , 04:28 PM | #1
this is the first MMO ive ever played. ive had the game for about 2 months and i keep making characters geting them to lvl 10-15 then deciding i dont want to play them and rerole. ive read tons of threads and i just cant figure out what to play. idc if its a republic or empire class. i have no idea if i want to heal, tank, dps, have a stealth, etc. i just need help picking a class that suits me and since i have no mmo experiance idk what to do. help!!!!!!

ShadessaWayland
06.08.2013 , 01:24 AM | #2
i had the same problem as you have
after so 3 weeks later i found my class and story

i think the first thing you must no what style you love to play

you like mellee and slice every1 with your light saber
ore you love guns
there is also classes that focus alot on magic
sith inq ore jedi saga

then you try to find a good story that suits you
what you love most

you wanne be a good guy
ore a bad guy
ore play things your way and dont folow any rules ( like me

for me i play a IA Operative heal build
love that class and the story is amazing if you like a james bond style of story

for the rest i cant help you much sorry i hope you can find you class

ScaryJello
06.08.2013 , 03:36 PM | #3
What you have to do is set yourself short term goals, then take a break and roll an alt without deleting the character. Eventually, you'll find a character that you can just play constantly until you get to max level. That's how it was for me and my Juggernaut.

I understand completely the issue you are having. You just have to stick it out. Just pick something that sounds cool, and roll with it, and if it's not what you want just set it aside and roll another character. Don't delete the first one, because you may change your mind and come back to it.

This is a really common issue for MMOs, so don't worry. I've done it myself more times that I can remember. If you find yourself wanting to reroll while playing, just tell yourself "Get to level 20, then make an alt" and before you know it, you'll have a handful of level 30's and you enjoy them all. Some of us just can't stick to one guy

Dr-GrubShaw
06.09.2013 , 02:13 AM | #4
Same issue I had... just echoing what others have said is to simply find your style. We cannot tell you what will make you happy. Heck, in the end you may not even like MMOs.

I for one, love guns, love ranged... however, didn't like it in this environment. I had a gunslinger / smuggler because I thought I would love the guns and the story. Story has been great. I have been on for less than a month (lotta down time with my sleep schedule lol) and got her up to lvl 30. However, my desire to keep grinding with her sometimes losses its luster because .. while I love first person shooters and RPGs.. I didn't like the ranged in this MMO. Also my first MMO.

So, I kept my smuggler ..still go back and play her daily.. but now I have a Sith Warrior at lvl 10 to really grind it out as a melee force. Each story seems to be exciting..

I will tell you, as a first time MMO player as well, this game is much... MUCH better with a group of good people to play with. It can get tedious and have that repetitive feel if you do not have someone to enjoy with and essentially tear through opponents. That is just my take. Of the 40 levels I have achieved, I'd say 36-37 were solo... I thoroughly enjoyed the few were I met new players and just gave people hell.

SandsOfArrakis
06.10.2013 , 01:52 PM | #5
The first MMO I've ever played was World of Warcraft back in 2005. I was very much like you. Friends of mine already played that game and were playing the Paladin class. After watching them play I'd decided to try the Paladin as well. I found it quite a fun class to play. It had the ability to be a damage dealer, a healer or a tank. After trying out all 3 of the classes talent trees, I discovered that my specialty lies in healing. And that's something I've been enjoying ever since.

So several years, and quite a few MMOs later, I've started with SW TOR. Right from it's release date. During the years I've discovered that I like classes that A. can heal, B. are ranged and C. can dish out a truckload of damage when I'm soloing. So for me the natural choice would be the Sage and Sorcerer. I have both of them at level 55.

Being a Star Wars fan for over 20 years I was quite appalled that both the Sage and Sorcerer barely use their lightsabers after reaching level 10. So I like to swing sabers as well. Voila my 3rd level 55, my Marauder. Also have a quite high level Sentinel and a Shadow who is in her 30's.

Also recently starting to level an Operative. Lovely class with sneaking and healing. I already had a quite high level Scoundrel. (Republic version), but the Operative is more my style

So yeah over the years I've played many MMO's. Made many times more characters and classes. And found myself in your shoes quite often. However I usually don't delete characters. Cause being the altoholic that I am, I always eventually return to them

I hope that, like me, you'll discover what you like to do most. Then find the class that does that. And stick to it if you find it appealing

Good luck
Írulan (Sage) ~ Jeanne'd'Arc (Guardian) ~ Sihaya (Scoundrel) ~ Elysaine (Sent)
Rhíannon (Sorc) ~ Gaeriel (Merc) ~ Ìrulan (Mara) ~ Aurorâ (Op) ~ Samus-Aran (PT)
The Corrino Legacy Server: The Red Eclipse

AlrikFassbauer
06.12.2013 , 04:19 AM | #6
Please note that there is a difference :

- "role" in the sense of performing a role in a business firm, like you performing the role of an mechanic

- "role" in the sense of acting out a role like a stage actor plays a role in a drama (let's say Hamlet), only with the difference that the actor is you and that you define yourself how the role of your "character" you play must be played (in Drama, the writer of the Drama (Shakespeare, for example) usually defines how the role must be played)

- these both things tend to be mixed up by MMORPG players, I once noticed.

As a sidenote, I always prefer ranged character (like "Rangers" in (A)D&D ), and I dislike close combat / melee fighting characters.
It's just my "style", as I call it.
I'm a bad player.
I have no good reputation.
I never will.
Only bad reputation.