Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Other Classes Getting "DPS" Cooldowns

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Other Classes Getting "DPS" Cooldowns

Kitru
06.11.2013 , 07:51 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by GeckoOBac View Post
It would be interesting to see though if it's worth using "on cd" (though ofc with said preparation) or to keep it for just burn phases (where burst dps is more important than the sustained dps of the whole fight). But due to it being strictly tied to teamwork (and working off each class's burst potential), I don't think this is something easy to model.
It's actually easier than you might think. Inspiration has a 5 min CD, which means that the number of uses you can get per fight depend entirely upon the duration, whether you're using it on CD or based upon phase. If a fight lasts 10 minutes (and no longer), you'll only be able to get 2 uses. If it lasts *slightly* longer (i.e. 10:15), you'll manage 1 extra use of it, which means you'll get more. All you need to do is figure out the length of the fight (which tend to average *just shy* of 10 minutes, in my experience), and it's pretty obvious.

Generally, your best set up is to use Inspiration right off the bat (or, at least, really early on, after the tank has established threat) and then save the second use of it for a discrete burn phase (or, if there are none, just burn it again whenever). The number of situations where the fight length is in that sweet spot where you'd get more uses and there are no burst DPS or phase based enrage mechanics are generally few enough that they're the exception rather than the rule.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

GeckoOBac
06.11.2013 , 10:15 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
It's actually easier than you might think. Inspiration has a 5 min CD, which means that the number of uses you can get per fight depend entirely upon the duration, whether you're using it on CD or based upon phase. If a fight lasts 10 minutes (and no longer), you'll only be able to get 2 uses. If it lasts *slightly* longer (i.e. 10:15), you'll manage 1 extra use of it, which means you'll get more. All you need to do is figure out the length of the fight (which tend to average *just shy* of 10 minutes, in my experience), and it's pretty obvious.

Generally, your best set up is to use Inspiration right off the bat (or, at least, really early on, after the tank has established threat) and then save the second use of it for a discrete burn phase (or, if there are none, just burn it again whenever). The number of situations where the fight length is in that sweet spot where you'd get more uses and there are no burst DPS or phase based enrage mechanics are generally few enough that they're the exception rather than the rule.
Not exactly what I mean though: The actual bonus inspiration gives is largely dependent on group composition and ability to do a focused burst without impacting negatively the overall dps. What I was asking (albeit in a rhetorical fashion) is if inspiration is worth using ALWAYS (IE: "on cd" like you said) or just keep it for those burn phases (and maybe just those), were the overall impact of sustained dps is less relevant than successfully going through the burn phase.

An example to make myself clear: scenario one is: use inspiration as soon as feasible on a boss. This will normally get you two activations (in most bosses at least), with perhaps not the full amount of dps possible in that burst window.
OTOH there is the: don't bother normally (as the sustained dps boost will be largely insignificant), but keep inspiration for a really focused burn phase, with the whole dps group burning through cooldowns and resources to get the most out of it.

it's hard to see which is better, and my impression is that it mostly depends on the fight. IE: I'd rather just go "on cd" on the cartel warlords as it's basically a dummy fight, even the "burn" phase at the end with tuchuk is mostly irrelevant for the dps. As each dps will, for stustained dps, burn his own offensive cds "on cd", normally, I expect the inspiration phases to be less significant in boost than case two:
On Styrak I'd rather keep inspiration and even the single dps cooldowns for the second dragon phase, to do a huge burst there and kill the thing as fast as possible, even if it impacts slightly negatively the overall dps of the fight, as failure in THAT phase is more likely than simply hitting enrage before.

As I said, I doubt there is an easy way to gauge the difference between the two approaches, and thus mine is mostly a philosophical question.
Light Knights: Gecko - Syed - Vor'sann - Joya
Nightmare's Legion: Anhess - Avilus - Wittard - Schroedinger