Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

ETA on Advanced Class change?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
ETA on Advanced Class change?

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
08.30.2013 , 04:14 PM | #3161
Quote: Originally Posted by logiboy View Post
When this game was first released I purchased it and played through to level 50 as a Sith Marauder. I did this thinking that advanced class changes were allowed. I didn't even question that functionality, presuming that it would be available.

Once I got to 50 I realised there was no group dungeon queue functionality and that end game content was really not that great. So I stopped playing until now.

Recently I saw that a dungeon queue system had been integrated (although still not cross realm, which is much better because then you can always get a dungeon run within a couple of minutes, 24 hours a day) and you can even edit your UI now. I thought "Fantastic!"; so I bought the expansion and have started playing again.

My first step was going to be to level to 55 and then gear up to tank PVE content. But wait! That functionality isn't even available in this game because they haven't even integrated class changes. So what if I train in the decathlon I can't ever become a Mr. Universe? If I am a baker I can't then go and become a lawyer? Really? Comon.

I guess I'll play my month out and then put this game on hold again until 2.x or 3.x when we can have advanced class changes AND dual spec configurations.

My time is too valuable to me, I have a job and a wife and kids, I'm not going to maintain 8 characters like I did in WoW it just isn't worth it anymore. So I need dual spec so I can do my dailies as DPS and then do my raiding as a Tank. Seems pretty simple to me.

Flame away, I really don't care about your desire for game purity and cannon and all that rubbish. I just want the game to be fun. Having to do dailies as a tank isn't fun. Been there, done that, not interested. I feel a bit cheated actually...

Let me get this straight.

You CHOSE to level a marauder, and now you feel cheated because you cannot change your class? You feel cheated despite the fact that you didn't even research it? You presumed class changes would be allowed? What part of "this choice is permanent and there is no going back" did you not understand? You were advised at least 4 times by two separate NPC's that the choice was PERMANENT. You had to acknowledge at least twice by clicking the confirmation box that you understood the choice was PERMANENT.

Even if they implement dual spec, you will still be a marauder and unable to tank.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
08.30.2013 , 04:26 PM | #3162
Quote: Originally Posted by nymusiado View Post
Slight necro, but meh. I really want an ETA on this!

I've played Sniper to 52 now, but I really don't feel like it's a very Imperial Agentish class. It kind of just feels like... shoot shoot shoot. I'd level another Operative, but I have way too much good stuff on my Sniper - the entire Vendetta set, mounts, titles, commendations, affection...

I wouldn't mind it being permanent "you can never change back", even if Operative is nerfed to the ninth circle of hell. I just want to feel more like an Imperial Agent, not an Imperial 360 noscoper.
You leveled as an OP sniper and now that you are approaching max level and endgame, you want to change your class to the class that can heal? The class which just happens to be probably the most desired for end game? No, there's no ulterior motive here at all.

I cannot understand why it took you 52 levels to figure out that sniper didn't feel like an imperial agent? Does the sniper magically go from being melee to ranged at level 50-52? No, the sniper is ranged from the moment that the sniper class is chosen.

You want to play an operative? You already have the means to do so. Those means ALREADY exist in game. It's called re-roll. I would imagine that at least MOST of what you have on your sniper can be re-acquired relatively easily.

Quote: Originally Posted by nymusiado View Post
EDIT: To all the people in here complaining for relatively small reasons (dey'll mess up mah flashpoints! dey turk mah jerb of healing / tanking! the devs said we'd never get a change ever and that's final!) how on Earth does this affect you, honestly? If this gets added and you leave (which many of you are claiming but I sincerely doubt will happen) that's less conservatively-minded people that hate change. And even if this does get added, we aren't forcing you to use this!

If someone moves from one AC to another and manages to severely shoot themselves in the leg with no chance of recovery, that's their problem. If someone goes from playing Sorc like a DPS machine to an Assassin who can't remember where his taunt button is, that's their problem to figure out, not your problem to point out and fume about until you use leave group.
Those reason you want to dismiss as "small" are not small reasons at all. We've already explained how allowing class changes will affect others besides those who choose to change their class, even if you want to dismiss and ignore those reasons.

Thankfully, the devs have kept class changes out of the game. Hopefully, they will continue to do so.

Spatology's Avatar


Spatology
08.30.2013 , 04:30 PM | #3163
please dont start this circular argument again....

go level whatever class you want, stop trying to change integral game mechanics.

Bioware messes up enough stuff as it is....

nymusiado's Avatar


nymusiado
08.30.2013 , 07:18 PM | #3164
Quote:
Thankfully, the devs have kept class changes out of the game. Hopefully, they will continue to do so.
I was waiting for you to reply to that post

Quote:
You leveled as an OP sniper and now that you are approaching max level and endgame, you want to change your class to the class that can heal? The class which just happens to be probably the most desired for end game? No, there's no ulterior motive here at all.
Thank you for taking your time to think you understand the workings of my brain completely and taking a HUGE leap of faith, assuming what my preferences are!

I don't raid. I tried to raid in WoW, and it sucked. This hasn't too much passed over to SWToR, but I still detest endgame raids. I've only done one op, and we didn't even finish it all the way.

You really wanna know why I want to change? RP reasons, for the most part. Sniper doesn't feel Imperial Agent-y to me, so I want to do an Operative.

Quote:
I cannot understand why it took you 52 levels to figure out that sniper didn't feel like an imperial agent? Does the sniper magically go from being melee to ranged at level 50-52? No, the sniper is ranged from the moment that the sniper class is chosen.
It actually took me 45. Around that level I thought to myself "hey, this doesn't feel agenty to me", but you know what else I thought? "i'll stick it through and see if it improves" which it hasn't to this point. Sniper is a fun class! But I don't want to have to do the ENTIRE story again, go through the dreadfulness of Taris Imperial Side, JUST so I can RP happily as an Operative rather than a Sniper. By then, Advanced Class probably would've been added! Why? Because I don't have 24/7 to play a game! I have schoolwork to do, and personal things.

Quote:
You want to play an operative? You already have the means to do so. Those means ALREADY exist in game. It's called re-roll. I would imagine that at least MOST of what you have on your sniper can be re-acquired relatively easily.
Which I've deeply considered today! I even thought to myself "hey, if I make another Operative, at least I have both Sniper AND Op". But you know what else that entails?

THE GRIND.

I'm not going to go through 55 levels and make myself over a million credits for an RP set and go through every Flashpoint I've done to get every title and hope to god that my wanted mount is in that Cartel Pack JUST BECAUSE someone on the forums doesn't think I should play how I want to.

Quote:
Those reason you want to dismiss as "small" are not small reasons at all. We've already explained how allowing class changes will affect others besides those who choose to change their class, even if you want to dismiss and ignore those reasons.

Thankfully, the devs have kept class changes out of the game. Hopefully, they will continue to do so.
Then make a penalty for changing the class! Make it so that you have a week / month lockout from all hardmode flashpoints and/or operations, dedicated to you learning the class you've changed to completely. It wouldn't bother me - I'd probably not be running those flashpoints - and it would solve the problem of "whaah i don't want to be grouped with x because he doesn't know how to play y! i won't help him at all to learn his new class whaah"

They also promised that species change and customization kiosk weren't going to ever be added, and it looks like those promises weren't kept, were they?

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
08.30.2013 , 09:44 PM | #3165
Quote: Originally Posted by nymusiado View Post
I was waiting for you to reply to that post



Thank you for taking your time to think you understand the workings of my brain completely and taking a HUGE leap of faith, assuming what my preferences are!

I don't raid. I tried to raid in WoW, and it sucked. This hasn't too much passed over to SWToR, but I still detest endgame raids. I've only done one op, and we didn't even finish it all the way.

You really wanna know why I want to change? RP reasons, for the most part. Sniper doesn't feel Imperial Agent-y to me, so I want to do an Operative.
Did you choose to level as a sniper, which happens to be the OP leveling class? Yes.
Are you close to reaching max level and therefore endgame? Yes.
Do you now want to change to the class that can heal? Yes.
Is Operative one of the most preferred classes for endgame? Yes.


Quote: Originally Posted by nymusiado View Post
It actually took me 45. Around that level I thought to myself "hey, this doesn't feel agenty to me", but you know what else I thought? "i'll stick it through and see if it improves" which it hasn't to this point. Sniper is a fun class! But I don't want to have to do the ENTIRE story again, go through the dreadfulness of Taris Imperial Side, JUST so I can RP happily as an Operative rather than a Sniper. By then, Advanced Class probably would've been added! Why? Because I don't have 24/7 to play a game! I have schoolwork to do, and personal things.
It really took you 45 levels to realize that you didn't like the ranged play style of a sniper? It really took you 45 levels to realize that sniper just didn't feel "agenty" enough?

I don't have 24/7 to play a game either. I work 50+ hours a week, have a family with whom I like to spend time and other various personal things that keep me from playing as much as I would like. I get 3 or 4 hours a week, if I'm lucky. But you know what, there is NO time limit on leveling.

Quote: Originally Posted by nymusiado View Post
Which I've deeply considered today! I even thought to myself "hey, if I make another Operative, at least I have both Sniper AND Op". But you know what else that entails?

THE GRIND.

I'm not going to go through 55 levels and make myself over a million credits for an RP set and go through every Flashpoint I've done to get every title and hope to god that my wanted mount is in that Cartel Pack JUST BECAUSE someone on the forums doesn't think I should play how I want to.
That sounds like you are averse to the effort required to actually EARN that operative, namely the effort of leveling. I know there's a word that means "an aversion to work or EFFORT". No one on the forums is forcing you to play a sniper. You can roll an operative at any time. BW is saying that you cannot change your class, though.


Quote: Originally Posted by nymusiado View Post
Then make a penalty for changing the class! Make it so that you have a week / month lockout from all hardmode flashpoints and/or operations, dedicated to you learning the class you've changed to completely. It wouldn't bother me - I'd probably not be running those flashpoints - and it would solve the problem of "whaah i don't want to be grouped with x because he doesn't know how to play y! i won't help him at all to learn his new class whaah"

There ALREADY is a "penalty" for choosing your class. The "penalty" is that you cannot change your class. You are told at least 4 separate times by at least 2 NPC's that your choice is PERMANENT and cannot be changed. You have to click at least 2 separate confirmation boxes acknowledging that you know your choice is permanent and that you are actually choosing the one you want.

If you want to play an operative, you can do so.

Quote: Originally Posted by nymusiado View Post
They also promised that species change and customization kiosk weren't going to ever be added, and it looks like those promises weren't kept, were they?
Species change and customization kiosk are COSMETIC only and not fundamental change in game play mechanics.

Can the devs add class changes? Yes, but they are under no obligation to do so simply because some players are too averse to effort to actually level the class they want to play.

astrobearx's Avatar


astrobearx
08.30.2013 , 10:18 PM | #3166
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
please dont start this circular argument again....

go level whatever class you want, stop trying to change integral game mechanics.

Bioware messes up enough stuff as it is....
seriously this. at this point.WHO GIVES A FLYING F@#$ anymore?


if it gonna happen, it will happen. if it wont, then it wont.

MOVE ON AND LET THIS THREAD DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111ONERAGE


seriously though, please let this thread die


edit and yes i realize the irony of my post when im myself is bumping the thread, but tbh who cares?

dont respond to it and let the thread die

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
08.30.2013 , 11:35 PM | #3167
Ratajack, you feel pretty strongly about this. Wouldn't it have been better to just let it die?

...I'm not trying to tell you what to do, your welcome to respond naturally, it just seems to me that it would have better to let this go instead of starting the process again.

Ratajack's Avatar


Ratajack
08.31.2013 , 12:50 AM | #3168
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Ratajack, you feel pretty strongly about this. Wouldn't it have been better to just let it die?

...I'm not trying to tell you what to do, your welcome to respond naturally, it just seems to me that it would have better to let this go instead of starting the process again.
I was gladly letting it die, until someone chose to necro it.

On this issue I choose to be vocal and not to give anyone a chance to mistake silence for an indifferent attitude, or even worse, tacit approval.

LordArtemis's Avatar


LordArtemis
08.31.2013 , 02:04 AM | #3169
Quote: Originally Posted by Ratajack View Post
I was gladly letting it die, until someone chose to necro it.

On this issue I choose to be vocal and not to give anyone a chance to mistake silence for an indifferent attitude, or even worse, tacit approval.
Honestly man, after all of your posts I think your stance is pretty clear. That's not to say that I haven't had quite a few posts myself naturally.

Just pointing out that it's pretty clear you are in the no AC change group. But I do get your point. Just my opinion mind you, but I would keep in mind that every post does not require a response, and every pro AC change post does not cause our position to be weakened.

I think we are standing on pretty solid legs. I think your opinions, though you and I have not always agreed, have helped those legs find solid footing.

MajikMyst's Avatar


MajikMyst
08.31.2013 , 03:23 AM | #3170
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Honestly man, after all of your posts I think your stance is pretty clear. That's not to say that I haven't had quite a few posts myself naturally.

Just pointing out that it's pretty clear you are in the no AC change group. But I do get your point. Just my opinion mind you, but I would keep in mind that every post does not require a response, and every pro AC change post does not cause our position to be weakened.

I think we are standing on pretty solid legs. I think your opinions, though you and I have not always agreed, have helped those legs find solid footing.
That is good advice.. You really should listen to it as well..

There is no reason to allow AC changes.. None.. It would be bad for the game.. Really it would..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.