Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Yoda's race should have a name

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Yoda's race should have a name

Slowpokeking
05.22.2013 , 07:11 PM | #1
There are quite a few famous Jedi master of this race, it's not logical that people don't give them a name.

Wolfninjajedi
05.22.2013 , 07:14 PM | #2
There is only 5, and again...no not everything needs to be named. Mystery is sometimes a good thing to have.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Kilikaa
05.22.2013 , 07:17 PM | #3
The Yoda species should remain un-named. Some things should remain mysterious.

kweassa
05.22.2013 , 07:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
...and yet, they go so far as to make up an microscopic organism resides inside all lifeforms, as a pseudo-scientific explanation for how one "feels" and "wields" the Force....
"90% of PvP complaints come from people that are thoroughly unqualified to comment about anything in the first place. Stop assuming that you are a good player, then an answer will come; why you die so often, why you are CCd so often, and why you complain about healers so often - You're simply a bad player. Harsh truth."

Slowpokeking
05.22.2013 , 07:30 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
It does not make sense, we give name to every races we saw, no matter how mysterious they are.

Slowpokeking
05.22.2013 , 07:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
There is only 5, and again...no not everything needs to be named. Mystery is sometimes a good thing to have.
Yes, because it's basic logic, we never really met things like black hole or anti matter but we still name it.

AlexDougherty
05.23.2013 , 03:34 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Yes, because it's basic logic, we never really met things like black hole or anti matter but we still name it.
We name things like Black Holes and Antimatter because they affect things, Yoda's race has only five known members, so they are not affecting things as a race (as opposed to affecting things as individuals).

Besides, if it really bothers you I will create a name for the species, hence forth the name of Yoda's species is Bob.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

ImpliedCarth
05.23.2013 , 04:56 AM | #8
No.
/5char
Carth
Bashed by Convicts

Beniboybling
05.23.2013 , 05:59 AM | #9
Nah, we don't need a name, leave Yoda mysterious.

Not to say that an exploration of his species would be interesting... in the form of scrolls, ancient carvings, ruins etc. not like little Ewok communities. I like to think that the Yoda-species is near extinction and only a few remain who wander the galaxy as wise men and sages.

We also have to remember that if we came across an ancient sentient race we would have no right to give them a name of our own if they refused to present one. Especially if their were only a couple, I doubt they would take kindly to such a display of arrogance and egotism.

Likewise in the Star Wars universe nobody has attempted to name the scarcely known and numbered Yoda-species are instead content to refer to the few they come across by their personal names.

AlexDougherty
05.23.2013 , 06:39 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post

We also have to remember that if we came across an ancient sentient race we would have no right to give them a name of our own if they refused to present one. Especially if their were only a couple, I doubt they would take kindly to such a display of arrogance and egotism.
Got to disagree here, if we came across a race who we didn't have a name for, we would be in our rights to give it a name. If that race then told us it's name, we would be obligated to use that name. This is not egotism, it's categorisation, which is one of the building blocks of learning.

While I'm quite happy to leave Yoda's race unnamed it's far from me (or anybody else either for that matter) to say that nobody can attribute a name to it.

PS. George Lucas no longer has the right to object to anybody naming Yoda's species since he sold the rights, although I'm sure he left legal codiciles preventing Disney from giving it a name.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.