Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are they going to continue the companion storylines?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Are they going to continue the companion storylines?

HaoZhao's Avatar


HaoZhao
05.19.2013 , 09:16 AM | #11
I sure hope not. If they did one new scene for every companion, that`s 40 scenes. With 40 scenes we could have an entirely new mini-expansions worth of story lines.

Bytemite's Avatar


Bytemite
05.19.2013 , 11:22 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthRobert View Post
Let's hope so. My smuggler's itching to
Spoiler


On a side note:
I knew it! The Gree are coming! THE GREE ARE COMING!

/ride
You will be provided a horse and lanterns.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.19.2013 , 04:30 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by HaoZhao View Post
I sure hope not. If they did one new scene for every companion, that`s 40 scenes. With 40 scenes we could have an entirely new mini-expansions worth of story lines.
Instead of a new scene for every companion, they could just make it so you have a new scene for the romancable companions.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Idunhavaname's Avatar


Idunhavaname
05.19.2013 , 09:46 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Yes! But it'll cost additional money.
I have no problems paying $10-20 for them. Companion content is the only reason why I purcahsed Citadel DLC.
.

RIP orange pixel

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
05.20.2013 , 01:09 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Yermog View Post
As long as they have an expansion that deals with ALL of the companions, not just a few of them, I'm good with paying money. I also hope they continue the romances, because they kind of leave it hanging out there. "Yay, we're married... The End!"
Doing something for all the companions is quite a under taking.

It's the same for any new class specific content really. Not only would all the programming, scripting, etc, take awhile, but they'd need to reassemble all the companion voice actors and all the character class VAs as well. That would take quite awhile due to scheduling conflicts.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
After seeing how they did the added customization features, I'd most likely suspect them to come to use in pieces and that's if they do come (which I suspect will be paid for content)
That's very doubtful.

Paying for it, yes, that it is likely however not doing all the classes at same time is extremely unlikely. There's no way for Bioware to chose 1 class over all the others without it seeming like favoritism towards that class. It's something that you never want to do with an MMO.

Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Instead of a new scene for every companion, they could just make it so you have a new scene for the romancable companions.
The only way that's going to happen is if it's the same scene.

For instance you get a new mission titled "The Wedding" in which you and your companion are married. The location is the same regardless of class. The companions (with the exception of the fiance) are all witnesses to the wedding. Before the I do's can be exchanged the wedding is crashed by a group of enemies that you and the rest of your companions fight off. After the battle finishes the ceremony concludes ending the mission.

^It's basically Mass Effect 3's Citadel DLC squashed down into a single mission. Still even as easy as that may seem to do, it take a good bit of time to get done, but the biggest problem the amount of people that care about something like that or even want it.

Not everybody cares about the romances in the game, and there's a chance that it only really appeals to a small audience of players. For example if that's the sort of thing that only appeals to 10% of TOR's audience it's unlikely you're ever going to see it.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.20.2013 , 07:15 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
That's very doubtful.

Paying for it, yes, that it is likely however not doing all the classes at same time is extremely unlikely. There's no way for Bioware to chose 1 class over all the others without it seeming like favoritism towards that class. It's something that you never want to do with an MMO.
Since they added new hair options for two species (Human & Chiss) and not all species, why do you think it doubtful they wouldn't update companion storylines class by class?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
05.20.2013 , 11:15 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Since they added new hair options for two species (Human & Chiss) and not all species, why do you think it doubtful they wouldn't update companion storylines class by class?
Because that type of stuff is handled by different teams. The Cartel Market team is separate from the team that handles the story and gameplay content.

If they’re going to do story updates in any form they’re going to release it all at once in a digital expansion like RoTHC. Why do you think you can’t use Cartel Coins to buy RoTHC?

If they released them individually and one of the classes doesn’t do well or sells way less than the others, guess what class is no longer going to be treated as an equal the next time you try to update the class content piece mule stlye? Doing it within a single expansion stands to make them more money as they can charge more for it. Rather than somebody who plays a smuggler using their monthly cartel coin grant to get a deal on “The Smuggler Companion Pack” they’re instead going to charge players $9.99 or $19.99 just like they did with RoTHC.

Even if they had a Jedi Knight companion pack all ready to go they wouldn’t release it just because they could. They’d wait to have more content done to bundle it with. Just look at Patch 2.1. Do you really think it took them a year to make the Cathar, or do you think they waited to bundle it with a few other features that were all completed at different times?

Note that*CM items*like Human Hair Pack 2, Chiss Hair Pack 1, Zabrak Tattoos Pack 1,*Cathar Patterns 1,*etc, are probably all done and completed at this point. That’s generally how things work, in that they produce enough content all at once or in phases so that they can schedule it out to be released in pieces even though it may have been finished months ago. This type of practice is common with DLC, even with content that’s already on the disc.

Of course the CM team split features up by race. They figure they stand to make more money that way and will have a steady stream of updates as well. Meanwhile all the players know it’s BS since the majority of races all use a lot of the same features to the point that there’s no reason anything should be separated unless it’s specifically tied to that race somehow.*The people that handle the Cartel Market are the same people that think it’s a good idea to do retailer specific pre-order bonuses.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.20.2013 , 04:33 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
Because that type of stuff is handled by different teams. The Cartel Market team is separate from the team that handles the story and gameplay content.

If they’re going to do story updates in any form they’re going to release it all at once in a digital expansion like RoTHC. Why do you think you can’t use Cartel Coins to buy RoTHC?

If they released them individually and one of the classes doesn’t do well or sells way less than the others, guess what class is no longer going to be treated as an equal the next time you try to update the class content piece mule stlye? Doing it within a single expansion stands to make them more money as they can charge more for it. Rather than somebody who plays a smuggler using their monthly cartel coin grant to get a deal on “The Smuggler Companion Pack” they’re instead going to charge players $9.99 or $19.99 just like they did with RoTHC.

Even if they had a Jedi Knight companion pack all ready to go they wouldn’t release it just because they could. They’d wait to have more content done to bundle it with. Just look at Patch 2.1. Do you really think it took them a year to make the Cathar, or do you think they waited to bundle it with a few other features that were all completed at different times?

Note that*CM items*like Human Hair Pack 2, Chiss Hair Pack 1, Zabrak Tattoos Pack 1,*Cathar Patterns 1,*etc, are probably all done and completed at this point. That’s generally how things work, in that they produce enough content all at once or in phases so that they can schedule it out to be released in pieces even though it may have been finished months ago. This type of practice is common with DLC, even with content that’s already on the disc.

Of course the CM team split features up by race. They figure they stand to make more money that way and will have a steady stream of updates as well. Meanwhile all the players know it’s BS since the majority of races all use a lot of the same features to the point that there’s no reason anything should be separated unless it’s specifically tied to that race somehow.*The people that handle the Cartel Market are the same people that think it’s a good idea to do retailer specific pre-order bonuses.
I get all that. But by that same token, the content team can release companion storylines by the class, instead of all at once, to keep a steady stream of content coming.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Darth-Obvious's Avatar


Darth-Obvious
05.21.2013 , 04:37 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
I get all that. But by that same token, the content team can release companion storylines by the class, instead of all at once, to keep a steady stream of content coming.
They won't do that for the reasons I explained.

Doing that isn't as financially viable, not to mention far too alienating to a good amount of players. Even the ones who don't care about that kinda of stuff will still outrage at the fact that the Jedi Knight (or whatever) got the update first instead of X class.

Also (again) let's say they do it that way, and the Jedi Knight goes first, but in the JK Companion Pack needs to sell 10,000 times in order for it to prove financially viable to do the next one. Now what happens if the JK pack only sells 7,000 times? Well that means the other 7 classes are never going to get their Companion Pack(s)

You're not looking at this from a business perspective, nor do you know how game development works. You're not thinking about what is the best way to maximize their profits while appealing to a significant amount of players as well.

This is the type of thing they will/would do in a expansion/update. period. It doesn't matter what other solution you come up with, because that's not going to be the way they do it.

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
05.21.2013 , 07:01 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Obvious View Post
They won't do that for the reasons I explained.

Doing that isn't as financially viable, not to mention far too alienating to a good amount of players. Even the ones who don't care about that kinda of stuff will still outrage at the fact that the Jedi Knight (or whatever) got the update first instead of X class.

Also (again) let's say they do it that way, and the Jedi Knight goes first, but in the JK Companion Pack needs to sell 10,000 times in order for it to prove financially viable to do the next one. Now what happens if the JK pack only sells 7,000 times? Well that means the other 7 classes are never going to get their Companion Pack(s)

You're not looking at this from a business perspective, nor do you know how game development works. You're not thinking about what is the best way to maximize their profits while appealing to a significant amount of players as well.

This is the type of thing they will/would do in a expansion/update. period. It doesn't matter what other solution you come up with, because that's not going to be the way they do it.
I am looking at it from that perspective. We have the same problem with the Cather as a species...so many need to sell before the next one. We have the character customization packs...so many need to sell before the next one.

When they could have released the new hairstyles for all the races. I know I'd love to have had the hair options! However, I don't have a human, so why would I buy it? If more players are like that, then that's less people buying the pack.

And because you say they wouldn't do it that way, doesn't make it so. You know, like posts of "never go f2p" or "250k subs is all we need to stay profitable and we have 500k" or whatever such, "this'll never happen"

TOR F2P is starting to feel a bit like Aeria Games F2P. Here's the game, and everything added now will be charged additionally, which could very well be "Look! New Class Companion stories! For the JK only right now, but if it sells well, we have more waiting!"

Of course they have the other stories made, but they use this gimmick to get the same players who bought the cathar species, not because they want to make one or even will make one, but because they figure if they buy it, it'll lead to the species they do want.

And that, is a business perspective.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry