Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone else dissapointed with Palpatine's backstory? (Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Anyone else dissapointed with Palpatine's backstory? (Spoilers)

Ernost
05.17.2013 , 09:18 PM | #1
He was just a spoiled little rich kid with daddy issues. His biggest hardships growing up were bouncing from prep school to prep school (he kept getting himself expelled) & covering up whenever he ran over some civilian in his sports-car (which he seemed to keep doing). He turns to the dark side to 'get back at daddy' then proceeds to slaughter his entire family 'just because'.

Pretty lame for the 'greatest sith lord of all time' imo.

Wolfninjajedi
05.17.2013 , 09:23 PM | #2
It isn't like his family wasn't asking for it....given how stupid they were. But anyway no not really, his backstory is ok...I mean as a small child it wasn't the greatest but his backstory as a whole is pretty good.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Aurbere
05.17.2013 , 09:41 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ernost View Post
Pretty lame for the 'greatest sith lord of all time' imo.
Hm. And Luke Skywalker was just some farmboy on a backwater planet.

Must one have an 'epic backstory' to become powerful? Luke and Palpatine beg to differ.

Edit: Also, Anakin Skywalker was just a slave on Tatooine. Not exactly epic compared to what he was destined to do.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

tunewalker
05.17.2013 , 09:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Hm. And Luke Skywalker was just some farmboy on a backwater planet.

Must one have an 'epic backstory' to become powerful? Luke and Palpatine beg to differ.
This humble begginings to me are better starts then anything else .... just some person who no one would have expected to mean anything to any one any where ends up becoming one of the most influencial and most important people to ever exist...... its a big deal and its pretty much to tell audience members ...... any one any where can make a difference and become important and big with work.

Ernost
05.17.2013 , 10:16 PM | #5
I don't mean it wasn't epic enough. Both Luke and Anakin had difficult childhoods, & faced hardships growing up. Something many people can relate to. They weren't spoiled, pampered brats. That is my point.

tunewalker
05.17.2013 , 10:18 PM | #6
Both Luke and Anakin had difficult childhoods, & faced hardships growing up. They weren't spoiled, pampered brats. That is my point.
Lol.... sounds like Leia a little..... or hell sounds exactly like the childhood of some one who would one day become a very corrupt pollitition and sith lord...... oh wait. My point is that's the exact kind of child hood you would expect one like him to grow up in he was so arrogant and cocky because he never had anything not go his way.

Jenzali
05.17.2013 , 11:11 PM | #7
Not sure if you've read Plagueis but it goes on to say how Palpatine slaughtered his entire family. That seems pretty dark to me.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Wolfninjajedi
05.18.2013 , 12:03 AM | #8
I don't mean it wasn't epic enough. Both Luke and Anakin had difficult childhoods, & faced hardships growing up. Something many people can relate to. They weren't spoiled, pampered brats. That is my point.
Not every backstory needs to have someone go through difficult hardships and all that noise.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

kirorx
05.18.2013 , 12:18 AM | #9
I follow what you mean, but it does not bother me. I kinda like that he is an elitist

Besides, after the prequels Palpatine is still the best bad guy.
Vader was and emotional wreck and Whiney little punk
Boba Fett was a glorifiied clone trooper and not really the mandalorian I thought he was
So, Palps may be a rich spoiled aristocrate but its acceptable

Spetulhu
05.18.2013 , 12:55 AM | #10
They weren't spoiled, pampered brats. That is my point.
But this might well be what drove Palpatine to become what he became. Maybe his elite lifestyle is what made him feel entitled to anything he wanted? After all, if he's been told he can have anything then why not go out and get it?