Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mando'a Poem needs translating

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Mando'a Poem needs translating

JBFett
05.16.2013 , 10:25 AM | #1
So I wrote this years ago, back when I was picking up Mando'a, and I recently found it again in one of my computer folders, and realized that I'm unable to read it Yeah I know it sounds really dumb that I wrote something that I can no longer read, but this was seriously years ago. So if anyone with active knowledge of Mando'a would be willing to translate this back to English I'd be very appreciative.

Mhi haar marev be Manda'lor
Akaanir darasuum Manda'lor
Akay cuun kyr'am
Akay werde olaror
Kyr'amur aru'ese Manda'lor
Mhi dinuir tal par Manda'lor
I survived [OOC/ Signups] A Kolto Crisis Part 2: Dropping Heads and all I got was this ****** piece of crap badge! You've got to be *********** ******** me!!

The 7th Inf Battalion

Roodbot
05.16.2013 , 10:38 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by JBFett View Post
Mhi haar marev be Manda'lor
Akaanir darasuum Manda'lor
Akay cuun kyr'am
Akay werde olaror
Kyr'amur aru'ese Manda'lor
Mhi dinuir tal par Manda'lor
We, the fist of Mandalore
To fight forever [for] Mandalore
Until our death
Until darkness comes
Kill the most traitorous Mandalore ( You're going to kill Mandalore?!)
We give blood for Mandalore

Your verb tenses are crap; you're not supposed to leave the -r ending on because that makes it the infinitive form. Also "akay cuun kyr'am" is really weirdly literal. You'd get some weird looks if you said that. Akay kyr'am would be more accurate. Your fifth line is saying you're going to kill Mandalore because he's the worst traitor. I assume you meant to say "Kyr'amu aru'ese par Mand'alor": Kill the worst traitors for Mandalore. Oh, and I almost forgot: it's Mand'alor, not Manda'lor. Means "only leader".

Because I'm bored, here's a grammatically correct version:

Mhi marev be Mand'alor
Akay kyr'am
Akay werde
Mhi kyr'amu par Mand'alor
Mhi tal'gala par Mand'alor

Until death
Until darkness
We kill for Mandalore
We bleed for Mandalore.

The poem's got a good basis to it. I can see it being a song like Ka'rta Tor. I just wish you had studied a bit harder before you wrote it.
Once you go tank, you never go back!

Phyreblade
05.16.2013 , 03:01 PM | #3
Well ... I kinda like the poem, as a whole. Would you be bothered if I was to use it in one of my fanfictions? I'm always looking for new Mando'a verses.
"Why can't things be easy? Just once!"
-- Gaibriel Duncan, Sawbones Scoundrel
Phyreblade, Co-Leader Covenant of the Phoenix

JBFett
05.16.2013 , 08:26 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Roodbot View Post
To fight forever [for] Mandalore
Until our death
Until darkness comes
Kill the most traitorous Mandalore ( You're going to kill Mandalore?!)
We give blood for Mandalore

Your verb tenses are crap; you're not supposed to leave the -r ending on because that makes it the infinitive form. Also "akay cuun kyr'am" is really weirdly literal. You'd get some weird looks if you said that. Akay kyr'am would be more accurate. Your fifth line is saying you're going to kill Mandalore because he's the worst traitor. I assume you meant to say "Kyr'amu aru'ese par Mand'alor": Kill the worst traitors for Mandalore. Oh, and I almost forgot: it's Mand'alor, not Manda'lor. Means "only leader".

Because I'm bored, here's a grammatically correct version:

Mhi marev be Mand'alor
Akay kyr'am
Akay werde
Mhi kyr'amu par Mand'alor
Mhi tal'gala par Mand'alor

Until death
Until darkness
We kill for Mandalore
We bleed for Mandalore.

The poem's got a good basis to it. I can see it being a song like Ka'rta Tor. I just wish you had studied a bit harder before you wrote it.
Thank you for both the translation, and the cleaning up. Like I said I wrote this a while back, and if it isn't evidenced that I can't even remember most of what it means, I didn't spend a lot of time studying it in depth. Thanks again for the help though, and maybe next time I'm delving into Mando'a I'll come to you to make sure I don't look like an idiot

Quote: Originally Posted by Phyreblade View Post
Well ... I kinda like the poem, as a whole. Would you be bothered if I was to use it in one of my fanfictions? I'm always looking for new Mando'a verses.
It was actually being used for one of my own that I'm currently rewriting, and revising, but seeing as how it'll probably be a while before it ever gets posted, I suppose there's no harm.
I survived [OOC/ Signups] A Kolto Crisis Part 2: Dropping Heads and all I got was this ****** piece of crap badge! You've got to be *********** ******** me!!

The 7th Inf Battalion

AlrikFassbauer
05.17.2013 , 05:17 AM | #5

Flintfire
05.18.2013 , 04:23 AM | #6
Lol, sorry, as a kid taking Spanish and hearing the mandalorian language with someone mentioning the infinitive, deja vu. I guess no galaxy can escape that language crap.
Infyrno/Infyrnex Infyrnus/Infyrnal
Leiptr Venaticus
Slaughtor Evisceran/Karrnivore
Sleipe/Medyc Desolus/Tyrantix

GM of Oblivion

Kameki
05.24.2013 , 03:13 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Flintfire View Post
Lol, sorry, as a kid taking Spanish and hearing the mandalorian language with someone mentioning the infinitive, deja vu. I guess no galaxy can escape that language crap.
Thats what makes Star Wars awesome
Suiko 推古 Legacy
掃仔 Souzai - Human Sith Assassin
主仔 Shuzai - Human Sith Sorcerer

jedimasterjac
05.24.2013 , 03:28 PM | #8
You think Mando'a is hard? Try learning elvish...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lord Governor Charleston
You will shoot your enemy once, to ensure he fights no more that day! You will shoot traitors twice, to ensure nothing less than their deserved death!

Roodbot
05.24.2013 , 05:31 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by jedimasterjac View Post
You think Mando'a is hard? Try learning elvish...
Oh, god. Elvish, man. I love Mando'a because it has two verb tenses: active and infinitive. I have a hard enough time doing verb tenses in English sometimes, and then studying German- oy vey ist mir. But Elvish? Right over my head.
Once you go tank, you never go back!

_biddan_
05.25.2013 , 06:03 PM | #10
i won't feel nerdy enough until i'll learn a fantasy/shi-fi language,suggest one please
The Red Eclipse

Caesar Legacy
Legacy lvl 50