Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel Coins have gone too far....in my opinion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cartel Coins have gone too far....in my opinion

FuulishOne
05.15.2013 , 01:34 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by InsigniaProtocol View Post
...snip
Coins are a good idea for individual armour (Eradicator being a good example), and other 'exclusive' items; however charging basic content with Cartel Coins is a pretty low move on their part. Not going to go through the maths of it all but, say you wanted to re-customise a character into a Cathar; firstly, you'd have to buy the species for 600 coins and then on top of that, changing a species costs ANOTHER 700. It all adds up to ridiculous amounts.
First off... please use more page breaks in the future. And now have a look at the bolded parts of your post. What you're referring to here are two different actions. The first one is to globally unlock a race on your account. This is very similar to how it exists today for the other races. The only component of this that one can argue is that the unlock is not necessary if you created and leveled a particular race from 1 to max level. That automatically unlocks the race for future use.

For Cathar, you pay for the unlock. For Subs, that's either one month to wait, or two. The only reason people are complaining is that they don't want to wait and would prefer to spend their free monthly allotment of CC on something else. Well tough, how you spend your allowance is on you. You can't complain that there are too many neat things to spend your allowance on. The point is to save up, or buy more CC. At least as a subscriber you have the option to save up. F2P do not.

Now as for the second feature/action, that's a completely separate thing. That's a cosmetic/vanity choice to change an existing character's race to something else. Just because it's coincidental with your desire to switch to Cathar doesn't make it any better/worse than say... if you wanted to switch from Rattataki to Zabrak. You'd still have to pay for that customization. No one is forcing you to switch a character to Cathar, you could simply unlock it and level up a new Cathar. You'd also get to see all the cutscenes as a Cathar... whereas a race switch would bypass all that.

Race change (as well as the other character customizations) are all cosmetic and vanity and thus correctly belong as something you need to spend CC on. Again, as a sub, you can simply save up the CC and wait on the cosmetic change. Why must you get it right away for "free"?

Quote:
I love this game and I really want it to be successful. I just don't want them to rely on Cartel coins too much and end up losing tens of thousands of subs when they're faced with the prospect of having to use real currency on top of the Sub fees to stand a chance of having good gear thus having as good an experience as those who can afford the additional costs.
Open to a respectable discussion with anyone who disagrees/agrees.
And then you leapt to a comment that talks about "good gear" which implies either PvE or PvP competitive gear, which has NOT shown up in the Cartel Market at all. Sure there's some leveling gear, but it's obsolete at 55. All of the rest of the gear is cosmetic, which still continues to fit inside the basic rule of the Market being vanity items only.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

branmakmuffin
05.15.2013 , 01:35 PM | #22
It's not a case of 'exiting'. I can't speak for who you're quoting but i damn well want to stay and I'm only posting on the forum because I want the game to succeed.
Then stay. And pay. That's how the game succeeds. What you are lobbying for (more for less money) is counter-productive to your stated goal of seeing the game succeed and prosper.

Alec_Fortescue
05.15.2013 , 01:36 PM | #23
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

InsigniaProtocol
05.15.2013 , 01:36 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by MTCason View Post
All this supposed 'polarisation' over 2.1 is nonsense. There are a few discontents on the boards who happen to ***** and moan louder than the very satisfied majority. There's no evidence of a greatly disappointed community, least of all in-game which is busier than I've seen it in ages and full of people in a diversity of dyed clothing and, yes, Cathar! So people are buying the new features. They're not throwing their toys out of the crib like a few malcontents are.
I swear to god people like you just pick on anyone who has something critical to say of the game. From looking at the threads, AND in game; there are many people who are disappointed so my use of 'polarised' is quite justified. Anyway, this isn't the whole point of this thread so if you're here to discuss the phrasing and choice of words on my posts then leave. A discussion on the state of the Cartel Market and its currency is what I wanted to start here. Not an observation on the current emotive state of the swtor community.

MTCason
05.15.2013 , 01:37 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Alec_Fortescue View Post
Right. Because doodles drawn by a 12 year old make an excellent argument. I love 2.1. I think most players do. They're certainly buying the heck out of its stuff in-game.

tiennen
05.15.2013 , 01:38 PM | #26
This made me laugh really hard, even if it isn't true.
Quote:
Complainers gonna Complain

branmakmuffin
05.15.2013 , 01:38 PM | #27
Yes but why the hell can't they just put the hairstyles in?
Because they want you to pay for them. Is that so hard to understand? If you don't like the price, don't buy it. Is that so hard to understand?

Quote:
Is it too much to ask? I'm not a designer or anything of the sort but I'd bet on the fact that implementing hairstyles into the game isn't much of a task. There's no need to charge us with cartel coins. Just put it in!
It has nothing to do with how much work it takes to put it in the game, it has to do with "Can we get people to pay CC for this?"

TheNahash
05.15.2013 , 01:39 PM | #28
meh.
1/10.
the 9gag generation has been hijacked by people with no talent or humor at all.

Ten_Ton_Hammer
05.15.2013 , 01:40 PM | #29
Yes but why the hell can't they just put the hairstyles in?

Because their customers have already told them they're willing to pay extra for nicer, faux-exclusive things.

Why give even more away for free? What MMO succeeds by giving everything away for free? They give you a pretty generous selection of customizations at the start. Anything beyond that is gravy. Not everything can be free.

DarthTHC
05.15.2013 , 01:41 PM | #30
So in light of 2.1 having such divided, polarised views from the community, anyone up for a reasonable discussion rather than the caps lock infested threads that have swarmed the forums since yesterday?
Personally, i'm pretty disappointed in the sense that EA/Bioware seem to promise us with awesome features, build up the anticipation with exciting trailers showcasing these new features and then BAM - Cartel Coins. Coins are a good idea for individual armour (Eradicator being a good example), and other 'exclusive' items; however charging basic content with Cartel Coins is a pretty low move on their part. Not going to go through the maths of it all but, say you wanted to re-customise a character into a Cathar; firstly, you'd have to buy the species for 600 coins and then on top of that, changing a species costs ANOTHER 700. It all adds up to ridiculous amounts.
I love this game and I really want it to be successful. I just don't want them to rely on Cartel coins too much and end up losing tens of thousands of subs when they're faced with the prospect of having to use real currency on top of the Sub fees to stand a chance of having good gear thus having as good an experience as those who can afford the additional costs.
Open to a respectable discussion with anyone who disagrees/agrees.
Let's compare that change to Cathar to another game - one of the more popular MMO's out there.

And for that other game, let's say the cost of acquiring the ability to play the species is $0, even though it's more than that.

So here in SWTOR, you as a subscriber have to pay 500 coins to unlock Cathar and, assuming you're right, another 700 to switch a character to it. If you were to buy those coins at value on the market, that's, what, about $12.50? Give or take.

OK, but here in SWTOR, because you're a subscriber, you get cartel coins every month included in your subscription. You may get 500 to 700 but let's call it 500 and assume you have no security key. So to get the 1200 cartel coins, you have to somehow find a way to not spend your cartel coins for 3 months and you get it... for $0 in addition to what you paid for your subscription.

So for SWTOR, the cost of acquiring and switching to Cathar, over and above your subscription fee, is somewhere between $0 and $12.50, depending on how adept you are at managing your monthly cartel stipend.

Now let's look at that other game. The game in which we said the cost of the acquisition of the race would be $0. The cost to switch to that race is a flat fee in excess of your subscription of $25. There is no alternative. You cannot save up any sort of loyalty points or ingame currency or anything else to do that switch. You will pay $25. Just to switch to the race; not even to acquire it.

For those of us doing the math, that is somewhere between infinity and twice as much to only switch races in that game as it costs you in SWTOR to both acquire and switch to the new race.

Yeah, they've gone WAY too far.....