Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cartel Coins have gone too far....in my opinion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cartel Coins have gone too far....in my opinion

InsigniaProtocol
05.15.2013 , 01:23 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ZionHalcyon View Post
Of course you should. That's the way a coin market works. Pay for vanity. Its no different than DDO, LOTRO, or other cash shops. And its the emerging model of MMO that pretty much is going to be taking over due to its success.

Thats right, its success. This model saved DDO and LOTRO and made them profitable. It allowed us to have Makeb and new content to be released down the line. For all the QQ ing here, people are spending money. And most of them don't even look at these forums, so any attempt to sway them here is wasted.

As they say, Don't hate the playa (EA/Bioware), hate the game (MMO Industry).
i never expected them to look at this thread; it was directed at other players. I think you're missing the point that what I'm trying to say is that, in the future, they will rely on cartel coins too much using them as currency for items that should be able to be bought with credits.

branmakmuffin
05.15.2013 , 01:23 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by InsigniaProtocol View Post
So in light of 2.1 having such divided, polarised views from the community, anyone up for a reasonable discussion rather than the caps lock infested threads that have swarmed the forums since yesterday?
But the "sarcastic eyeroll" smiley is OK.

Quote:
[... H]owever charging basic content with Cartel Coins is a pretty low move on their part.
Name one item of "basic content" you have to pay CC for. The only basic content subs have to pay for is RotHC, which was a major expansion, and every MMO I know of charges real money for major expansions.

Lunafox
05.15.2013 , 01:27 PM | #13
Damn right they've gone too far this time.

After a sub buys the new race, the dyes, the hairstyles, the hair colours and the white eye change, they should be able to implement those things on their characters, but nooooo, they decide that all that money you just forked over wasn't enough, they try to get you to give MORE to implement the things you just paid for.

It's as if a movie theatre charged you for your seat in the theatre, and then demanded more money to run the film.

It's too much, its gone too far this time.
Bioware! Make Lord Scourge MATTER in KOTET!
The Foundation of All Desire
Spy Vs. Spy
Marr

InsigniaProtocol
05.15.2013 , 01:27 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
But the "sarcastic eyeroll" smiley is OK.

Name one item of "basic content" you have to pay CC for. The only basic content subs have to pay for is RotHC, which was a major expansion, and every MMO I know of charges real money for major expansions.
Hairstyles? Do I really need to use real money for hairstyles? And MAJOR expansion? Well that's a different argument altogether. However, my argument; as I keep on stressing to others is that if they are slowly using cartel coins for things like hairstyles and other stupid basic things like the chiss customisation kit (TWO hairstyles and two skins colours if i'm correct?) then where will that lead to? I only worry for the game out of respect; out of the want for the game to succeed.

branmakmuffin
05.15.2013 , 01:28 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
The door, as they say, is that way ------->

Quote: Originally Posted by InsigniaProtocol View Post
Hairstyles? Do I really need to use real money for hairstyles?
Apparently, in TOR, you do. Are you saying "hairstyles" = "basic content?" Looks more like "optional cosmetics" to me.

Quote:
However, my argument; as I keep on stressing to others is that if they are slowly using cartel coins for things like hairstyles and other stupid basic things like the chiss customisation kit (TWO hairstyles and two skins colours if i'm correct?) then where will that lead to?
It will lead to more cosmetic and convenience items on the CM (your illogical slippery-slopery notwithstanding), all of which will be incorrectly categorized as "basic content" by someone.

Quote:
I only worry for the game out of respect; out of the want for the game to succeed.
If you expend one micro-gram of worry on a computer game, you must lead an extraordinarily care- and trouble-free life. It's a game, not a spurting artery.

Ten_Ton_Hammer
05.15.2013 , 01:29 PM | #16
You don't have to pay for hairstyles. There's about 30 to choose from for human character creation types that are all free.

You have the option to buy some premium ones. If they never add more basic free hairstyles it's still a lot more than most other MMO character generators give you for free.

InsigniaProtocol
05.15.2013 , 01:30 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunafox View Post
Damn right they've gone too far this time.

After a sub buys the new race, the dyes, the hairstyles, the hair colours and the white eye change, they should be able to implement those things on their characters, but nooooo, they decide that all that money you just forked over wasn't enough, they try to get you to give MORE to implement the things you just paid for.

It's as if a movie theatre charged you for your seat in the theatre, and then demanded more money to run the film.

Thanks for bringing up specific customisations we have to pay for now. I couldn't remember them :P But yeah; someone said earlier about the fact that all other MMO's do this - I don't remember having to pay (with real money) for any eye colours, skin and hair colours in any other MMO including major ones like WoW and Guild Wars 2!

InsigniaProtocol
05.15.2013 , 01:31 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
The door, as they say, is that way ------->
It's not a case of 'exiting'. I can't speak for who you're quoting but i damn well want to stay and I'm only posting on the forum because I want the game to succeed.

InsigniaProtocol
05.15.2013 , 01:32 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ten_Ton_Hammer View Post
You don't have to pay for hairstyles. There's about 30 to choose from for human character creation types that are all free.

You have the option to buy some premium ones. If they never add more basic free hairstyles it's still a lot more than most other MMO character generators give you for free.
Yes but why the hell can't they just put the hairstyles in? Is it too much to ask? I'm not a designer or anything of the sort but I'd bet on the fact that implementing hairstyles into the game isn't much of a task. There's no need to charge us with cartel coins. Just put it in!

MTCason
05.15.2013 , 01:32 PM | #20
All this supposed 'polarisation' over 2.1 is nonsense. There are a few discontents on the boards who happen to ***** and moan louder than the very satisfied majority. There's no evidence of a greatly disappointed community, least of all in-game which is busier than I've seen it in ages and full of people in a diversity of dyed clothing and, yes, Cathar! So people are buying the new features. They're not throwing their toys out of the crib like a few malcontents are.