Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Beginner MMO?

October
05.12.2013 , 10:03 PM | #1
I've been subscribed to this game since launch and I've just now got my first level 50 character.

I want to enjoy it more and definitely play it more often but I feel like I just don't understand half the things going on in it, like how to craft and crew skills and armoring and skill charts and definitely PVP, etc.

So, yeah, are there any good newbie-friendly MMOs out there that could walk me through that stuff and help me learn it properly?

Eh, should I've posted this in New Player Help forum?

SithKoriandr
05.12.2013 , 10:27 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by October View Post
I've been subscribed to this game since launch and I've just now got my first level 50 character.

I want to enjoy it more and definitely play it more often but I feel like I just don't understand half the things going on in it, like how to craft and crew skills and armoring and skill charts and definitely PVP, etc.

So, yeah, are there any good newbie-friendly MMOs out there that could walk me through that stuff and help me learn it properly?

Don't think you need a new MMO for that, just ask questions in the right forums. Not sure what exactly has you confused and I admit there seems to be some contradicting info in the class forums on some things.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

October
05.12.2013 , 10:31 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Don't think you need a new MMO for that, just ask questions in the right forums. Not sure what exactly has you confused and I admit there seems to be some contradicting info in the class forums on some things.
Just... the gameplay lol. I mean I've gone through the tutorials that the game offers, as well as some user created tuts, but both have still left me confused.

I think I'm going to try WoW...

Rankyn
05.12.2013 , 10:44 PM | #4
Not sure how playing a different game is going to help you play this game better.

Silvers
05.12.2013 , 11:56 PM | #5
The best thing you can do is to try stuff, trial and error. Don't be afraid to not succeed at something.

Secondly find a guild that is 'new player' friendly. A guild that doesn't mind answering questions.

As has been said, I do not know how changing to WoW or another mmo will help with this one. While mostly the same they do still have their differences with different aspects of the game, like terminology. If you went to WoW and learnt some of the terminology there and came back here you'd find the principals may fit but the terminology most likely wont and could cause more confusion.

Good luck
The Older Gamers
TOG Website TOROZ website

chuixupu
05.13.2013 , 12:59 AM | #6
Going to WoW won't really help you play this game any more than just continuing to play this game (less, actually) although combat is very, very similar. I think SWTOR is about as easy and beginner of an MMO as you can get.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

CelCawdro
05.13.2013 , 01:03 AM | #7
Experimentation is the best teacher, particularly when SW:TOR is one of the most user-friendly MMOs around (technical optimization aside). I'll spare you the "back in my day" diatribe, but suffice it to say, it's very easy, risk free and not time-intensive at all to experiment with crafting in this MMO

Magnusheart
05.13.2013 , 01:09 AM | #8
My first MMO was world of warcraft, then I tried some RIFT, couldn't get myself into it, I bought TERA, and I kept getting carpel tunnel with how advanced the combat is, lol. I got Swtor because I felt it was in my life longer than the others. I had Kotor before any others were out.

I would honestly admit trying a few MMO's to really get your barings for the MMO style. I found Swtors content to be smoother and less panda to my liking. the UI is amazing on how to adjust it etc. and you won't see that in other MMO's.

ChrisMattar
05.13.2013 , 02:17 AM | #9
This was my first MMO as well, and I got total control of it within a week or two. It's really simple, open the codex in game you have everything you need about crafting there. Or just google specific things, and as someone suggested, join a guild and ask people questions.
Playing WoW will be a giant leap backwards. That kiddie poo will turn your brain into goo

Quote: Originally Posted by October View Post

zzoorrzz
05.13.2013 , 02:21 AM | #10
Don't be stupid man, this IS a beginner MMO. I was a beginner with close to no experience with MMO when I started. What happened? I didn't craft a single thing before I finished my class story and was lvl 50. I started to change mods around lvl 30, before I just sold the whole thing and bought new, which I regret until now. I could go on like that... And guess what, it is no problem at all. You don't need to understand all in this game right from the beginning. There's no need for that and I would not recommend to try to do that. Let things come to you naturally.