Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I fear for the future of this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I fear for the future of this game.

CosmicKat
05.12.2013 , 01:42 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Magnusheart View Post
You're so sure? Girl on my server spends almost 300 dollars per new pack, I spend roughly 80-120 per new pack depending on how bad an item is in there I would want in the packs. and there are people who buy a few hypercrates(more than 50 dollars worth) who sell the packs on the GTN for credits aswell on Jung ma. If it is the same on the other servers, I think its safe to say the money flow is roughly the same, and noting. a lot of people quit after the first month, so 6 million subscribers were just the hype mode of launch, and can't really be used to compare to the rest of the games existence.
Personally, I think anyone spending that kind of money on any game is nuts, but to each their own.

Someone spending $300 every couple of months is worth about 10 subscribers. Someone spending $0 is worth nothing. You can bet that there are hundreds of thousands spending $0 and at best a couple of thousand spending big dollars. It is not a sustainable model to rely on that amount of disparity.

CosmicKat
05.12.2013 , 01:44 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRavenous View Post
Errr......isn't an improvement, by its very definition, POSITIVE?

Or, can you provide example(s) of a negative improvement?

Because, that would be freakin' awesome!

It was the "raining" part that was an overstatement. It implies smiles und sunshine, when the reality is partly cloudy with a chance of falling CM revenues.

Krewel
05.12.2013 , 01:44 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You probably need to read the latest quarterly financials and analyst Q&A from EA.

You know.. the one where they say they have doubled revenue on SWTOR, subs are stable and climbing. etc. etc.
Subs are below 500k (they were somewhere between 500k and 1mil last quarter), so falling, revenues doubled because of CM, meaning the focus will be more and more on CM aka bullcrap.

Yes, I fear for the future of this game as well - more dribble in the form of S&V and re-skinned armor sold for real money, not to mention patches like 2.1 entirely focused on CM.
The prodigal son has returned ... some people are stuck with SWTOR, for better or worse.

Kognition - 55 Scoundrel

Neglience
05.12.2013 , 01:44 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You probably need to read the latest quarterly financials and analyst Q&A from EA.

You know.. the one where they say they have doubled revenue on SWTOR, subs are stable and climbing. etc. etc.
last sub announcment before those from a few days ago where slightly under 1 mil. so in effect, they lost 50% of subs. ofc EA describes it flattering, but it doesnt change the numbers

CaptRavenous
05.12.2013 , 01:49 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Personally, I think anyone spending that kind of money on any game is nuts, but to each their own.

Someone spending $300 every couple of months is worth about 10 subscribers. Someone spending $0 is worth nothing. You can bet that there are hundreds of thousands spending $0 and at best a couple of thousand spending big dollars. It is not a sustainable model to rely on that amount of disparity.
Its worked well for Lord of the Rings Online.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

ScarecrowES
05.12.2013 , 01:49 PM | #16
When a game goes F2P, traditionally revenues go up. This is because most people on this planet are stupid, and are more willing to pay more for something if it's presented in inexpensive little chunks than they are to pay slightly more for it up front. It's like saying you can buy a 12-pack of 20oz sodas for $6, or single 16oz sodas for $1 each.

Some people will say "Hell, I'm going to drink 12 sodas anyway, and $6 isn't a bad price, so let's just go ahead and get the 12-pack. Besides, I even get a bigger soda in the deal, which is cool" Other people say "I'm not paying $6 for a whole 12-pack of soda! What a rip off!" But they'll then proceed to buy and consume 12 sodas anyway, because eventually they get thirsty again, pay double the price for them, and get less soda overall than a person who just paid his due up front. And this person is generally content to do just that, and most often feels like he's actually making out on the deal.

Generally speaking, F2P players spend significantly more on average per player to play the game than subscription players do, and they do so despite a perception that they're saving money. And although you hear a lot of grumbling about it, players LOVE to participate in microtransactions. Well, "love" is probably not the right word... but still, they do it over and over and over even if they're not particularly fond of doing so. And you know who eats up microtransactions more than anyone else? F2P players.

Hell, as long as there is a strong F2P community in this game, it will keep going for a looooong time. I'd fear for the day when most F2P players finally wake up and realize they could just be paying less to sub.

Seravie
05.12.2013 , 01:51 PM | #17
I guess my city where I'm from is dead, it only has give or take 500,000 residents.
Those who seek attention and post they are unsubbing are much like wailing babies wanting attention.

CaptRavenous
05.12.2013 , 01:54 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Krewel View Post
Subs are below 500k (they were somewhere between 500k and 1mil last quarter), so falling, revenues doubled because of CM, meaning the focus will be more and more on CM aka bullcrap.

Yes, I fear for the future of this game as well - more dribble in the form of S&V and re-skinned armor sold for real money, not to mention patches like 2.1 entirely focused on CM.
They said subscriptions have stabilized, and are steadily increasing. See the full EA quarterly report here. There are links in the report for what was said at the conference call.

Nothing is falling here, except maybe the sky in your imagination.
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

Wefi
05.12.2013 , 02:01 PM | #19
as long this game makes a profit, this game will survive

PLUS! EA has signed some rights to make new SW games, im sure Ea is doing fine in the eyes of disney.
Ex-SWG clientside Modder. Creator of Super Jedi. Fixing what is broken since 2004.

Krewel
05.12.2013 , 02:02 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRavenous View Post
They said subscriptions have stabilized, and are steadily increasing. See the full EA quarterly report here. There are links in the report for what was said at the conference call.

Nothing is falling here, except maybe the sky in your imagination.
Yes, they stabilised ... below 500k, whereas before they were below 1m and above 500k.

Sorry for not wearing EA-PR glasses absorbing all that rosy ideology
The prodigal son has returned ... some people are stuck with SWTOR, for better or worse.

Kognition - 55 Scoundrel