Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I fear for the future of this game.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
I fear for the future of this game.

Killance
05.12.2013 , 01:27 PM | #1
Having over 6 million copies sold when this game came out and only having around 500k subs scares me.

F2P doesn't bring in as much money compared to subs, even with the Cartel market.

Anyone else fear for the future of the game?

Levity
05.12.2013 , 01:29 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Killance View Post
Having over 6 million copies sold when this game came out and only having around 500k subs scares me.

F2P doesn't bring in as much money compared to subs, even with the Cartel market.

Not really. I've played plenty of games that have died. Didn't look back twice when they did, and won't when SWTOR does. It is a game. Have fun playing it while it lasts, it won't last forever.

Andryah
05.12.2013 , 01:30 PM | #3
You probably need to read the latest quarterly financials and analyst Q&A from EA.

You know.. the one where they say they have doubled revenue on SWTOR, subs are stable and climbing. etc. etc.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

TheNahash
05.12.2013 , 01:30 PM | #4
F2P doesn't bring in as much money compared to subs, even with the Cartel market
Says who?

Magnusheart
05.12.2013 , 01:31 PM | #5
You're so sure? Girl on my server spends almost 300 dollars per new pack, I spend roughly 80-120 per new pack depending on how bad an item is in there I would want in the packs. and there are people who buy a few hypercrates(more than 50 dollars worth) who sell the packs on the GTN for credits aswell on Jung ma. If it is the same on the other servers, I think its safe to say the money flow is roughly the same, and noting. a lot of people quit after the first month, so 6 million subscribers were just the hype mode of launch, and can't really be used to compare to the rest of the games existence.

CaptRavenous
05.12.2013 , 01:34 PM | #6
Click here to see EXACTLY how I felt when I saw this comment.....
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

aeterno
05.12.2013 , 01:35 PM | #7
I don't fear nearly as much as I did before the last EA shareholder call that rained positive news on TOR.

CosmicKat
05.12.2013 , 01:36 PM | #8

They only sold around 2-2.5 million I think it was.

F2P bought them some time. It's up in the air as to what they will do with that time, but the initial track record is not overly promising. They've still done almost nothing to fix the reasons why they lost those 1.5-2 million subscribers in the first place.

CosmicKat
05.12.2013 , 01:38 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by aeterno View Post
I don't fear nearly as much as I did before the last EA shareholder call that rained positive news on TOR.
Calling it positive is a leap. An improvement, yes.

Essentially it broke down to they have the income equivalent of 1 million subscribers, or half what they started with.

CaptRavenous
05.12.2013 , 01:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Calling it positive is a leap. An improvement, yes.

Essentially it broke down to they have the income equivalent of 1 million subscribers, or half what they started with.
Errr......isn't an improvement, by its very definition, POSITIVE?

Or, can you provide example(s) of a negative improvement?

Because, that would be freakin' awesome!
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast