Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Frostbite

clonewarsisbest
05.12.2013 , 11:28 AM | #1
I have been reading about the contract that EA has signed to make future Star Wars games, which I am very excited about. This has gotten me thinking that what if bioware could switch swtor to the frostbite 3 engine. I think that the graphics alone will bring in more players and will enhance the game. I now that this will probably never happen but if it could would you want swtor on the frostbite 3 engine or the engine it is on now?

Massamo
05.12.2013 , 11:31 AM | #2
they will not do that because alot of people play swtor are using old pc that will not run on frostbite

JediJonesJr
05.12.2013 , 11:31 AM | #3
My milkshake brings all the Sith to the yard
And they're like, it's better than yours
Damn right, it's better than your's
I could teach you but I have to charge
Will Return After Lunch and lunch is never over.....

Shingara
05.12.2013 , 11:36 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Massamo View Post
they will not do that because alot of people play swtor are using old pc that will not run on frostbite
if people can play bf3 they will be able to play swtor on frostbite, it doesnt have to run on ultra settings. i wouldnt be shocked if ea/bioware have ahad a team coding the game to frostbite since release but they needed the game out to get some coin back.
Health Warning - Thread May Contain Nuts.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

Andryah
05.12.2013 , 11:45 AM | #5
Frostbite(n) is not designed for MMOs, it's designed for single player/small encounter games.

Not that it could not be adapted in the future to be MMO capable, but today's MMOs require a lot more to an engine then is presented with Frostbite.

Separately... this MMO is launched... heading into it's second year of play and stable. You would have to literally pull the plug to rip the MMO apart to integrate a new engine. That's not going to happen, not because it's not possible (it is) but because it has no solid return on investment by doing so. MMOs do not compete/differentiate primarily on their graphics (regardless of what some players want). A new MMO engine will arrive perhaps with the introduction of a new MMO. The old days when an MMO simply bolted a 3rd party engine to the front end and went live are gone.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Shingara
05.12.2013 , 11:53 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Frostbite(n) is not designed for MMOs, it's designed for single player/small encounter games.

Not that it could not be adapted in the future to be MMO capable, but today's MMOs require a lot more to an engine then is presented with Frostbite.

Separately... this MMO is launched... heading into it's second year of play and stable. You would have to literally pull the plug to rip the MMO apart to integrate a new engine. That's not going to happen, not because it's not possible (it is) but because it has no solid return on investment by doing so. MMOs do not compete/differentiate primarily on their graphics (regardless of what some players want). A new MMO engine will arrive perhaps with the introduction of a new MMO. The old days when an MMO simply bolted a 3rd party engine to the front end and went live are gone.
Well technically we only know what the frostbite can do because of what it has been used for, it is currently being implimented in a sort of mmo in the form of c&c and its being used for the bulk of all new games including the new dragon ages and the new mass effect that the rumor factory are stating is going tobe an mmo, we can see what frosty 2 can do and the extremes it can be pushed to with bf3 and we are currently sat on frostbite 3.

At the end of the day we have no idea what dice have done with this engine or future itterations it can be used for as the only people who can get knees deep into it are ea as they dont let anyone else use the engine. On that note it wouldnt be the 1st time a game goes to a new engine.
First, you can continue as a subscriber, which gives you unlimited access to all game features and future Game Updates at no additional charge. http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20120731

darkov
05.12.2013 , 11:58 AM | #7
They'd have to rebuild the game from the ground up to convert it to a new engine, tens of millions of dollars and years of work.

Never going to happen.

Massamo
05.12.2013 , 11:58 AM | #8
well new C&C is built on frostbite

Shingara
05.12.2013 , 12:01 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by darkov View Post
They'd have to rebuild the game from the ground up to convert it to a new engine, tens of millions of dollars and years of work.

Never going to happen.
Look at it this way, cash up now and cheaper running costs in the future or higher running costs in the future. If this were a stand alone rpg i would agree with you but as its a game with an expected lifespan of atleast a decade i see the money argument leaning towards get a better engine and pay less later.

clonewarsisbest
05.12.2013 , 12:08 PM | #10
Like you guys I love this game and I would love to see it move forward. I just wanted to see if the community liked this idea and perhaps in the future EA can find a cheap and easy way to do this, maybe.